There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Problems with this trade:

1. His contract will be up by the end of the year and he will be a non-restricted FA.

2. Peppers has clarified that he wants to go to a playoff team. (He's ensuing drama inside of Carolina's locker room, so that's the person we're getting.)

3. Peppers has never played in a 3-4, his body/cuts are built for a 4-3 (in the DE
position). I'm not saying he can't do it, but you really don't know what you're getting.

4. We need those first round draft picks bad. Really bad, specially if we trade out for more 2nd or 3rd round picks in the draft, this team has too many holes to fill, and Peppers can't play OT, OG, SS, or QB.

This is a trigger move you make in the off-season, anything mid-season will be idiotic desperation, something a stupid front-office like the Raiders would initiate.

1.He wants to be in a 3-4 and thats what he will get here. A very high chance he re-signs with us

2.With Peppers we are a playoff team. If he was starting for us all season then Maybe Favre doesn't get that last pass off against us or maybe Ryan doesn't have all day to throw to White.

3.He hasn't played in a 3-4 but he has played pass rusher his whole career. The knock on DE's that get drafted to play OLB in a 3-4 is there pass rushing moves will take time to develop at the next level. Well Pepp has already succeeded at this level as a pass rusher and standing him up will only benefit him.. See Elvis Dumervill in Denver.

4.Agree with you there but I think we can fill all the holes we need if the draft unfolds that way
Let's think this through logically. Here's the hypothetical..

Step 1: Peppers comes here via trade.

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

Step 3: Season ends with Peppers not having produced much.

Step 4: Peppers becomes FA.

Step 5: Peppers leaves.

Conclusion: This does not make sense.

I rest my case.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 15, 2009 at 14:23:54 ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Jordache49:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by maximill15:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO

Jared Allen is younger than peppers when that happened. Peppers is gonna b 30 and looks like he's heading on the downside of his career or why would they want to trade him for? Peppers has not performed this year to be valued as a 1st round pick especially if were not going to get an extension out of it. Y would we want to give him an extension if he hasn't prove anything on the 3-4. Jared Allen was always a 4-3 lineman there is a difference.

How can anyone claim he's not performing or looking like he's on the 'downside' of his career? 17.5 sacks in 20 games is pretty lacking I guess? When the hell was the last time a 49er has put up 14.5?

I understand your frustration but we need our 1st round picks and he is not worth it. Unproven and we need the money to resign willis and company.

The money issue imo is overstated. Willis,Davis, and others are going to wait until the uncapped year......we can spend whatever we want contingent with Jed signing off on it. That's not the issue. The issue is that he's not worth a first round pick without the reassurance of signing with us. It'd be just like the Seymour/Raiders trade. Give up a first to rent him for a year and then he'll flee.
A 2nd round pick. No more.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

1 year younger than Justin Smith, 1 year older than Osi.

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.

Right, but Justin Smith also costs less and came without the expense of a first round pick. I get what your saying in that his age shouldn't matter. But Smith has busted his ass his whole career, Peppers hardly has and I doubt he will once he gets paid.

If they don't move him now they might not be able to tag him without major issues or taking less than a 1st in the offseason.

We could try putting a conditional 2nd on the table.

KRS, if this trade was on the table during the off-season, I would be more supportive.

But mid-season 4-3 DE and we had to convert him to a 3-4 OLB? I ain't buying that.

Or we could play more 4 man fronts.

As far as getting extensions done with Willis, we would still have the cap space to do so

I'm not advocating a trade but I can see the positive side of the argument and am not against the idea for the right price.

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.

Yeah, the jets have pretty bad wr's! So a 3rd on that team is like battle on our team! But you are right about a pass rusher having a higher trade value!

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.

Right, but Justin Smith also costs less and came without the expense of a first round pick. I get what your saying in that his age shouldn't matter. But Smith has busted his ass his whole career, Peppers hardly has and I doubt he will once he gets paid.

If they don't move him now they might not be able to tag him without major issues or taking less than a 1st in the offseason.

KRS, if this trade was on the table during the off-season, I would be more supportive.

But mid-season 4-3 DE and we had to convert him to a 3-4 OLB? I ain't buying that.

As far as getting extensions done with Willis, we would still have the cap space to do so

I'm not advocating a trade but I can see the positive side of the argument and am not against the idea for the right price.

Nor am I, problem is Schefter said first round pick......that's not the right price. Besides I think if they trade him, it pretty much signifies them giving up on the year. Alex Smith and a second rounder no more.

[ Edited by JDeezy on Oct 15, 2009 at 14:27:56 ]
Scotty lease, please, please make this happen!!!!
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

IF we made a trade like that it would have to be our 1st for him not theirs.

But I'm starting to REALLY dislike Shefter. I mean he opens his mouth and the Zone is abuzz with all kinds of crazy talk.

~Ceadder
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO

Jared Allen is younger than peppers when that happened. Peppers is gonna b 30 and looks like he's heading on the downside of his career or why would they want to trade him for? Peppers has not performed this year to be valued as a 1st round pick especially if were not going to get an extension out of it. Y would we want to give him an extension if he hasn't prove anything on the 3-4. Jared Allen was always a 4-3 lineman there is a difference.

How can anyone claim he's not performing or looking like he's on the 'downside' of his career? 17.5 sacks in 20 games is pretty lacking I guess? When the hell was the last time a 49er has put up 14.5?

I understand your frustration but we need our 1st round picks and he is not worth it. Unproven and we need the money to resign willis and company.

The money issue imo is overstated. Willis,Davis, and others are going to wait until the uncapped year......we can spend whatever we want contingent with Jed signing off on it. That's not the issue. The issue is that he's not worth a first round pick without the reassurance of signing with us. It'd be just like the Seymour/Raiders trade. Give up a first to rent him for a year and then he'll flee.

We can always tag him though

And unlike the Raiders this franchise going in the right direction which would be a positive for us in hoping to keep him long term.

1st rd picks are not cheap themselves... And if Carolina continues to tank, thats an extremely expensive pick for an unproven player.. Chiefs got a 1st rd and 2 3rds and really you think that trade was worth it? I think the Vikes hosed them personally. Sometime spending a lot of $$ on a proven player works out better than dumping that $$ on an unknown who might or might not work out.. You never know, he could hold out half the season too, lol
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

this

exactly.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

Nor am I, problem is Schefter said first round pick......that's not the right price. Besides I think if they trade him, it pretty much signifies them giving up on the year. Alex Smith and a second rounder no more.

Like I said, if a trade is to be made that requires to a 1st, then offer our 1st not theirs. Don't give them the better pick. But the best deal would be a conditional 2nd and use more 4 man fronts to get him on the field in a more comfortable element for this year.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
We would be wasting a 1st round pick on a player that might walk away at the end of the year. Even giving a 3rd and a 5th pick for him would be a waste.

Wait until the offseason and then aggressive go after him and lock him up on a long term deal.

For all of you who say to 'go ahead and do it!', I'm glad you're not the GM of this team.

We could franchise him but still I wouldn't trade either of our 1st rd picks for him. Maybe, MAYBE our 2nd rd pick for him.

As for Shawn Merriman...No thanks! Guy has become more of a distraction for the Chargers than anything else. I don't think he is the same player after his knee injury.

this

exactly.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

Like I said, if a trade is to be made that requires to a 1st, then offer our 1st not theirs. Don't give them the better pick. But the best deal would be a conditional 2nd and use more 4 man fronts to get him on the field in a more comfortable element for this year.

Alex Smith and a second rounder no more.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.

I'm pretty happy with Joe Staley honestly.

Where we really messed up in that draft, not the Balmer pick but taking Rachal over DeSean Jackson. Especially since a really good LG for NO who I really wanted (Carl Nicks) was drafted much later.

I agree, Nicks is the guy we blew it on. We had four chances to draft him and I remember us being interested in him but we should of taken him. He is a big, physical guard who moves well and is really becoming a pro bowl player for the Saints.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home