There are 172 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.

I'm pretty happy with Joe Staley honestly.

Where we really messed up in that draft, not the Balmer pick but taking Rachal over DeSean Jackson. Especially since a really good LG for NO who I really wanted (Carl Nicks) was drafted much later.

i still cringe at that thought

I would offer no more than a 2nd or a 3rd round pick. Peppers is hot and cold and would not be worth a number one pick. We also need whatever cap room we have left to sign our top players to an extension.
Yeah, he's real washed up. Best days are behind him, nevermind the 14.5 sacks he put up last year and the 3 in his 4 games this year, lol
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Trade Alex for Vince, straight up. With this o-line, a mobile QB who wins games would be preferable.

Vince Young...seriously....seriously?

Vince Young is not a good qb, probably will never be, he is a headcase with no work ethic.

Better than Alex. MUCH better.

oh yea much better, considering the fact that he wanted to retire.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.
Also, why spend a 1st on someone we might be able to get next offseason for no draft picks?

Key word.... You got 31 other teams in the mix at that point
Originally posted by KRS-1:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.

I'm pretty happy with Joe Staley honestly.

Where we really messed up in that draft, not the Balmer pick but taking Rachal over DeSean Jackson. Especially since a really good LG for NO who I really wanted (Carl Nicks) was drafted much later.

i still cringe at that thought

It's been documented that we had Sweed rated ahead of Jackson. Nicks went later because of off the field issues.

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.
We need to get this guy NOW!!

Originally posted by Jordache49:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO

Jared Allen is younger than peppers when that happened. Peppers is gonna b 30 and looks like he's heading on the downside of his career or why would they want to trade him for? Peppers has not performed this year to be valued as a 1st round pick especially if were not going to get an extension out of it. Y would we want to give him an extension if he hasn't prove anything on the 3-4. Jared Allen was always a 4-3 lineman there is a difference.
No thanks
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

1 year younger than Justin Smith, 1 year older than Osi.

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.
Peppers is a one dimensional pass rusher who's is not known for us run stopping skills. When people want to run the ball on Carolina, they run it on Peppers side. Since we run a 3-4, he will be counted on to stop the run as a 3-4 DE. I just don't think that is is strong suit.

Put him at OLB you say? Well, look up north in Green Bay where they put their Pro Bowl 4-3 end Aaron Kampman as a stand up 3-4 OLB. On the Minnesota/GB Monday night game, he looked really lost and the cameraman picked up on it. The announcers even made a comment that GB is not utilizing his skills properly. That might be the case with Peppers when he comes to the Niners. Where exactly do you put him?

Switch to the 4-3? Hmm. Peppers and Justin Smith at the edges, and the BEST MLB in the game? That might work.
Peppers is going to want a Haynesworth type deal. He's 30 and never played in the 3-4 and wildly inconsistent. I don't buy the fact that Singletary can light a fire under just anybody. It worked with this team, I believe because they went through it together. Peppers also had to be called out by Jon Beason who is 6 years his junior and clearly has taken over leadership on that team. I wouldn't risk adding any combo of qb/oline/pass rusher for Peppers at this point. I'd rather have the 2 picks and see how it goes down. As for the points on Allen he was 26 when he got traded.
Share 49ersWebzone