There are 381 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

Correct

x2

Franchise tag or Exclusive Franchise tag mean anything to you guys??

And you guys are looking at worst possible scenarios, Peppers has said he would like to play in a 3-4 defense.

last time i checked, aren't we in a 3-4 defense? correct me if i'm wrong here. but given the way he's been playing for them, i hardly think they'd waste another 16 mil on him and tag him
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by maximill15:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

1 year younger than Justin Smith, 1 year older than Osi.

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.

Right, but Justin Smith also costs less and came without the expense of a first round pick. I get what your saying in that his age shouldn't matter. But Smith has busted his ass his whole career, Peppers hardly has and I doubt he will once he gets paid.

If they don't move him now they might not be able to tag him without major issues or taking less than a 1st in the offseason.

We could try putting a conditional 2nd on the table.

KRS, if this trade was on the table during the off-season, I would be more supportive.

But mid-season 4-3 DE and we had to convert him to a 3-4 OLB? I ain't buying that.

Or we could play more 4 man fronts.

As far as getting extensions done with Willis, we would still have the cap space to do so

I'm not advocating a trade but I can see the positive side of the argument and am not against the idea for the right price.

Nor am I, problem is Schefter said first round pick......that's not the right price. Besides I think if they trade him, it pretty much signifies them giving up on the year. Alex Smith and a second rounder no more.

That's even worse than a 1st rounder.

Besides you stuck Smith in there as your kneejerk hatred for the guy often dictates the rest of the haters who are sore about his "unearned" contract.

Now if you were REALLY impartial, it would be Smith and no higher than a 4th. They need a QB, and they could have one. But then you are signifying that OUR season is done with that move. It would take Peppers at least 2 games to be on the same page since he would be going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 system. And that's being conservative. It would probably take him a bit longer.

By that time Hill will have amassed at least 9 quarters of 3 and out drives and our Defense would not be able to cover the spread let alone keep us in games. You DID watch the Falcons scrimmage with us right?

Now I personally would trade a pick for him and no more if they are satisfied with it. And oh btw, their season IS over.

~Ceadder

There season is over, but Fox is still going to try to improve in an effort to save his job. Carolina fans would take anyone over Delhomme right now. I could give a s**t about Smith's contract. He sucks as does Shaun Hill.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

Correct

x2

And you guys are looking at worst possible scenarios, Peppers has said he would like to play in a 3-4 defense.

The fact that he is being franchised against his will is a big reason why he has been stinking it up, you wanna give up a first for half a season of Peppers then an unhappy whiny Peppers after that?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Correct

x2

A third franchise tag would be over 20 million. Doesn't seem likely to happen by us when Willis and Davis are due extensions soon.
Originally posted by dj43:
Can he play offensive guard?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I have said for the last 3 years we are a Guard and a Tackle from the playoffs. Now I see it as 2 Guards and a Tackle away from the playoffs. When are we going to get there I don't know.... I can care less about any other position right now especially trading away a Draft pick for a OLB.
i don't know enough about j.peppers to go for the trade. I think there should be a few questions asked. like j.peppers age, is he still playing like a player worth a 1st round. how much longer can he play, is there a j.peppers type player coming out in the draft. cause why trade for a player that doesn’t have that much time left when you can draft a player for the future that will last mo than 5 or 6 years. I think our line will make it through this year & we can address this problem in the draft. I read in one of the other replies that he doesn’t even play a 3-4, so he would play olb and if he can’t play the position then he is a liability mo then help, that’s just me though.
IMO, Peppers is only saying that he wants to play in a 3-4 because he wants the hell out of Carolina and not because he genuinely wants to play in a 3-4.

He'll go the highest bidder, 3-4 or not. He's also looking for that one last mega 6-7 year contract.

-9fA
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Let's think this through logically. Here's the hypothetical..

Step 1: Peppers comes here via trade.

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

Step 3: Season ends with Peppers not having produced much.

Step 4: Peppers becomes FA.

Step 5: Peppers leaves.

Conclusion: This does not make sense.

I rest my case.

Thats logic? What is Peppers a rookie? Learn the system lol!? Bring him in and you send him after the QB, system learned. Just the fact that he is on the field will keep D-Coordinators working. Is there any1 at the OLB spot right now that does that for us? But all in all I don't want to trade for him because if all else fails we can take a shot at him in FA
Originally posted by bassmanr:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I have said for the last 3 years we are a Guard and a Tackle from the playoffs. Now I see it as 2 Guards and a Tackle away from the playoffs. When are we going to get there I don't know.... I can care less about any other position right now especially trading away a Draft pick for a OLB.

Do you know of any guards or tackles on the trade block? And Peppers plays DE not OLB and had 14 sacks & 5 forced fumbles last year. If we want to be a great defensive team we need to get pressure on the qb..
Originally posted by redmanc07:

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

I rest my case.

Thats logic? What is Peppers a rookie? Learn the system lol!? Bring him in and you send him after the QB, system learned. Just the fact that he is on the field will keep D-Coordinators working. Is there any1 at the OLB spot right now that does that for us? But all in all I don't want to trade for him because if all else fails we can take a shot at him in FA

There is logic on his arguement. There is such a thing as 'learning the system'. Look at the CB DeAngelo Hall. He was all-pro at Atlanta where they played zone and man coverage a lot. Then he went to the Raiders where they play press coverage and he looked lost. Then he went to the Redskins and has bounced back. Why? Because all teams play different systems, and Dante Hall was too small to be a press corner.

I agree with OTC, where Peppers will be lost in our system. There's a chance where he doesn't fit in to our scheme.

[ Edited by DarthNiner on Oct 15, 2009 at 15:16:05 ]

Originally posted by bassmanr:

Do you know of any guards or tackles on the trade block? And Peppers plays DE not OLB and had 14 sacks & 5 forced fumbles last year. If we want to be a great defensive team we need to get pressure on the qb..

He'd be an OLB in our system.....they're not going to change the whole defense for him. Nobody's being really talked about.....apparently though anyone on the Raiders can be had......that cupboard is all to bear though at least on the o line.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

I rest my case.

There is logic on his arguement. There is such a thing as 'learning the system'. Look at the CB Dante Hall. He was all-pro at Atlanta where they played zone and man coverage a lot. Then he went to the Raiders where they play press coverage and he looked lost. Then he went to the Redskins and has bounced back. Why? Because all teams play different systems, and Dante Hall was too small to be a press corner.

I agree with OTC, where Peppers will be lost in our system. There's a chance where he doesn't fit in to our scheme.

You mean DeAngelo Hall.

I rest my case.

There is logic on his arguement. There is such a thing as 'learning the system'. Look at the CB Dante Hall. He was all-pro at Atlanta where they played zone and man coverage a lot. Then he went to the Raiders where they play press coverage and he looked lost. Then he went to the Redskins and has bounced back. Why? Because all teams play different systems, and Dante Hall was too small to be a press corner.

You mean Deangelo Hall not Dante Hall...

I rest my case.

You mean Deangelo Hall not Dante Hall...

Hall was also very overrated in Atlanta, perhaps that's why he hasn't returned to that form......he's the Roy Williams of corners.
The Philadelphia Eagles have been very good at manipulating the cap over the years, and have not made many mistakes in signing free agents, or re-signing aging vets.

Their philosophy is to not pay big bucks to players who are 30 and above. And, I think they have something to that concept. Peppers will be 30 in three months, and is probably on the downside of his career.

Does he have some good years to come in the future? Surely. However, will the same dominant player maintain his tremendous play for more than a couple years, AND warrant a $80-$90 million contract? Doubtful.

P.S. I think I'd rather make a play at the best SS on the board with the Panthers' early first rounder (Berry or Mays) and then target a RT with the Niners' selection (somewhere near 22nd overall). The Ravens were able to secure Michael Oher at number 23 this season, and this area would be prime to grab our future RT.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 15, 2009 at 15:04:05 ]
Share 49ersWebzone