There are 178 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by maximill15:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

1 year younger than Justin Smith, 1 year older than Osi.

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.

Right, but Justin Smith also costs less and came without the expense of a first round pick. I get what your saying in that his age shouldn't matter. But Smith has busted his ass his whole career, Peppers hardly has and I doubt he will once he gets paid.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Jordache49:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO

Jared Allen is younger than peppers when that happened. Peppers is gonna b 30 and looks like he's heading on the downside of his career or why would they want to trade him for? Peppers has not performed this year to be valued as a 1st round pick especially if were not going to get an extension out of it. Y would we want to give him an extension if he hasn't prove anything on the 3-4. Jared Allen was always a 4-3 lineman there is a difference.

We play nickel at least 30% of every game if not more so he would play a familiar position then. Though he has no experience in the 3-4 base D. He could possibly fit as a 1 gap end but has the athletic ability to be tried as an OLB. Would be interesting to see how exactly he would fit here. He himself said he would like to play in a 3-4.....FWTW.

His performance this year has been addressed above....see Randy Moss in all likelihood.

Like GoFD pointed out in the trade deadline thread in NFL Talk, this is likely a similar situation to Moss in Oakland. No desire to play for them so no desire to give 100% on every down.

Edwards 3rd rounder is conditional, it could turn into a 2nd( FWIW the "scrubs" in that trade were a #3 WR at best and a ST'er). Also premier pass rushers have a higher trade value than WR's do.

Jared Allen was worth a 1st AND 2 3rd rd picks.... Peppers for just a 1st is a steal IMO

Jared Allen is younger than peppers when that happened. Peppers is gonna b 30 and looks like he's heading on the downside of his career or why would they want to trade him for? Peppers has not performed this year to be valued as a 1st round pick especially if were not going to get an extension out of it. Y would we want to give him an extension if he hasn't prove anything on the 3-4. Jared Allen was always a 4-3 lineman there is a difference.

How can anyone claim he's not performing or looking like he's on the 'downside' of his career? 17.5 sacks in 20 games is pretty lacking I guess? When the hell was the last time a 49er has put up 14.5?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Peppers is a one dimensional pass rusher who's is not known for us run stopping skills. When people want to run the ball on Carolina, they run it on Peppers side. Since we run a 3-4, he will be counted on to stop the run as a 3-4 DE. I just don't think that is is strong suit.

Put him at OLB you say? Well, look up north in Green Bay where they put their Pro Bowl 4-3 end Aaron Kampman as a stand up 3-4 OLB. On the Minnesota/GB Monday night game, he looked really lost and the cameraman picked up on it. The announcers even made a comment that GB is not utilizing his skills properly. That might be the case with Peppers when he comes to the Niners. Where exactly do you put him?

Switch to the 4-3? Hmm. Peppers and Justin Smith at the edges, and the BEST MLB in the game? That might work.

1 comment about him as an OLB in the 3-4 as compared to Kampman.....he is far more athletic than AK.

How can anyone claim he's not performing or looking like he's on the 'downside' of his career? 17.5 sacks in 20 games is pretty lacking I guess? When the hell was the last time a 49er has put up 14.5?

2 years ago 2 sacks, last year in a contract year he had 16.5. This year in a contract year, he was not doing as well until Beason called him out. After he gets paid, who knows what will happen. This move isn't going to happen. Were he just a free agent, then it'd be a different story, but for a first rounder I'd never do it.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Peppers is a one dimensional pass rusher who's is not known for us run stopping skills. When people want to run the ball on Carolina, they run it on Peppers side. Since we run a 3-4, he will be counted on to stop the run as a 3-4 DE. I just don't think that is is strong suit.

Put him at OLB you say? Well, look up north in Green Bay where they put their Pro Bowl 4-3 end Aaron Kampman as a stand up 3-4 OLB. On the Minnesota/GB Monday night game, he looked really lost and the cameraman picked up on it. The announcers even made a comment that GB is not utilizing his skills properly. That might be the case with Peppers when he comes to the Niners. Where exactly do you put him?

Switch to the 4-3? Hmm. Peppers and Justin Smith at the edges, and the BEST MLB in the game? That might work.

1 comment about him as an OLB in the 3-4 as compared to Kampman.....he is far more athletic than AK.

I can buy this arguement cuz its a valid one, but to say he isnt producing or is declining is.... wow
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JDeezy:

this

exactly.

plus peppers is old, untested in our defensive system, and we already spent a load on a pass rushing DE. hed cost a ton to get, and then a ton to keep.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

He would def. be a player in our nickel and dime sets but remains to be seen how he would fare in the base D. He seems to think he can play in a 3-4 judging by his comments this past offseason. He is definitely a better pass rusher by far than Justin Smith.

Right, but Justin Smith also costs less and came without the expense of a first round pick. I get what your saying in that his age shouldn't matter. But Smith has busted his ass his whole career, Peppers hardly has and I doubt he will once he gets paid.

If they don't move him now they might not be able to tag him without major issues or taking less than a 1st in the offseason.

We could try putting a conditional 2nd on the table.

• evil
  • Veteran
If we were to offer a 1st round pick.....we need to offer ours not THEIRS.

We play nickel at least 30% of every game if not more so he would play a familiar position then. Though he has no experience in the 3-4 base D. He could possibly fit as a 1 gap end but has the athletic ability to be tried as an OLB. Would be interesting to see how exactly he would fit here. He himself said he would like to play in a 3-4.....FWTW.

His performance this year has been addressed above....see Randy Moss in all likelihood.

Don't matter bro your keyword is "possibly" so your not sure. You don't trade a 1st round pick for a guy that wants alot of money when we have to resign willis and others.

Randy moss got traded for a 4th round pick? How is that relevant to your statement?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

this

exactly.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

If they don't move him now they might not be able to tag him without major issues or taking less than a 1st in the offseason.

KRS, if this trade was on the table during the off-season, I would be more supportive.

But mid-season 4-3 DE and we had to convert him to a 3-4 OLB? I ain't buying that.

this

exactly.

BAD MOVE.

OLD ?

When John Fox gets fired they'll blow up that team save for a few guys like Beason, Williams, Stewart, Gross, and maybe Steve Smith. Peppers wants to get paid. When he discussed his playing in the 34 he mentioned teams, specifically the Cowboys I think. Can't negotiate a long term deal with him till after the season, so its not worth it. If we were one player away from the super bowl and it'd cost us a second to rent him for the rest of the year hell yeah I'd do it, but not under the current circumstances.

I understand your frustration but we need our 1st round picks and he is not worth it. Unproven and we need the money to resign willis and company.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Problems with this trade:

1. His contract will be up by the end of the year and he will be a non-restricted FA.

2. Peppers has clarified that he wants to go to a playoff team. (He's ensuing drama inside of Carolina's locker room, so that's the person we're getting.)

3. Peppers has never played in a 3-4, his body/cuts are built for a 4-3 (in the DE
position). I'm not saying he can't do it, but you really don't know what you're getting.

4. We need those first round draft picks bad. Really bad, specially if we trade out for more 2nd or 3rd round picks in the draft, this team has too many holes to fill, and Peppers can't play OT, OG, SS, or QB.

This is a trigger move you make in the off-season, anything mid-season will be idiotic desperation, something a stupid front-office like the Raiders would initiate.

1.He wants to be in a 3-4 and thats what he will get here. A very high chance he re-signs with us

2.With Peppers we are a playoff team. If he was starting for us all season then Maybe Favre doesn't get that last pass off against us or maybe Ryan doesn't have all day to throw to White.

3.He hasn't played in a 3-4 but he has played pass rusher his whole career. The knock on DE's that get drafted to play OLB in a 3-4 is there pass rushing moves will take time to develop at the next level. Well Pepp has already succeeded at this level as a pass rusher and standing him up will only benefit him.. See Elvis Dumervill in Denver.

4.Agree with you there but I think we can fill all the holes we need if the draft unfolds that way
Let's think this through logically. Here's the hypothetical..

Step 1: Peppers comes here via trade.

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

Step 3: Season ends with Peppers not having produced much.

Step 4: Peppers becomes FA.

Step 5: Peppers leaves.

Conclusion: This does not make sense.

I rest my case.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 15, 2009 at 14:23:54 ]

I understand your frustration but we need our 1st round picks and he is not worth it. Unproven and we need the money to resign willis and company.

The money issue imo is overstated. Willis,Davis, and others are going to wait until the uncapped year......we can spend whatever we want contingent with Jed signing off on it. That's not the issue. The issue is that he's not worth a first round pick without the reassurance of signing with us. It'd be just like the Seymour/Raiders trade. Give up a first to rent him for a year and then he'll flee.
Share 49ersWebzone