LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
So Damon Bruce on KNBR is saying that a friend of his who works in the NFL says Gruden is gonna be going to Cleveland to work with Holmgren. He will not even think about coming to San Francisco.

Wow, that just ruined my day.

He didn't say specifically not coming to SF, but did say he wouldn't go to any situation without a GM in place and a President of Player Personnel. Plus Gruden and Holmgren have that West Coast offense connection and what not. Basically it's a done deal that he is going to Cleveland.

and that he is an ohio guy. But that is its pretty much a done deal and Gruden is already putting together his coaching staff for the Browns.
Mary Mornhinweg? Really? I know he had a raw deal in Detroit, but he just wasn't a good head coach there. He reminded me of Chan Gailey. He didn't have much of a plan or any backbone. A very lame hire in my opinion.

We need someone that brings innovation and creativity as well as an understanding of the big picture. Simply hiring the hot OC candidate is a recipe for failure. Personally, I hate HCs that only deal with 1 side of the ball. You need to have an understanding of a facets of the game in order to be a great coach.

Bottom line is the 9ers need to fix the front office. Emulating the front office makeups of the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens makes too much sense. I hope Jed York understands this.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Mary Mornhinweg? Really? I know he had a raw deal in Detroit, but he just wasn't a good head coach there. He reminded me of Chan Gailey. He didn't have much of a plan or any backbone. A very lame hire in my opinion.

We need someone that brings innovation and creativity as well as an understanding of the big picture. Simply hiring the hot OC candidate is a recipe for failure. Personally, I hate HCs that only deal with 1 side of the ball. You need to have an understanding of a facets of the game in order to be a great coach.

Bottom line is the 9ers need to fix the front office. Emulating the front office makeups of the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens makes too much sense. I hope Jed York understands this.

So we are just making suggestions. You got any?
HC/OC: Norv Turner
DC: Wade Phillips.
We need a new Qb, Head Coach, GM, and a President of Player Personnel. Then we can start to rebuild the team. f**k the Yorks man.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

No thanks

Without a front-office overhaul, I don't think it matters who our coach is. With that being said, I think in order to find true innovation nowadays you have to look at the college level.

Chip Kelly (HC at Oregon) seems like one of the best fits for the NFL, to me. Chris Petersen and even Mike Leach would be really intriguing options. Most importantly, all 3 would be out-of-the-norm hires. Usually the type of college coaches hired by the NFL are safe pick-types out of more traditional offenses. Perhaps a crazy move is what's needed. Or there's Jim Harbaugh, which would be "safe" but a solid move to me.

The move I can see Jed making and me being okay with would be Brian Billick. He's highly intelligent, has had a lot of success, and understands the game. All making him a big upgrade from Sing. I know, "no moar ravens!", but that organization would be a good one to emulate.

[ Edited by bigtony2tone on Oct 24, 2010 at 18:17:08 ]
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

No thanks

you can't tell me another realistic scenario with that much experience.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Without a front-office overhaul, I don't think it matters who our coach is. With that being said, I think in order to find true innovation nowadays you have to look at the college level.

Chip Kelly (HC at Oregon) seems like one of the best fits for the NFL, to me. Chris Petersen and even Mike Leach would be really intriguing options. Most importantly, all 3 would be out-of-the-norm hires. Usually the type of college coaches hired by the NFL are safe pick-types out of more traditional offenses. Perhaps a crazy move is what's needed. Or there's Jim Harbaugh, which would be "safe" but a solid move to me.

The move I can see Jed making and me being okay with would be Brian Billick. He's highly intelligent, has had a lot of success, and understands the game. All making him a big upgrade from Sing. I know, "no moar ravens!", but that organization would be a good one to emulate.

I dunno, just not crazy about the idea of hiring a college coach. Has Chip Kelly got any NFL coaching experience?

We're in a very one-dimensional coaching league which relies upon coordinators to fill their weak-links. Most coaches who try to cover both usually fail.

• Shifty
  • Veteran

Intriguing
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

We're in a very one-dimensional coaching league which relies upon coordinators to fill their weak-links. Most coaches who try to cover both usually fail.

I should be more specific. I hate head coaches that also serve as the OC or DC in which they do both jobs. I want a head coach that will see whenever something needs tweaking on the team, no matter the side of the ball. I guy that understands when something is wrong.

[ Edited by bigtony2tone on Oct 24, 2010 at 19:00:21 ]
Hell

NO, what are you crazy dude?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Hell

NO, what are you crazy dude?

who's better?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
HC:Bill Cowher
OC: Norv Turner

No thanks

you can't tell me another realistic scenario with that much experience.

I just did
Share 49ersWebzone