Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 537 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Kind of my updated want list...

DC:
Keith Butler - Steelers LB coach (studying under Dick Lebeau) Would have to pay big bucks because he is next in line as Steelers DC after Lebeau retiers.

OC:
Mike Mularkey - Falcons OC/Bring with QB coach Musgrave (have to pay big bucks to persuade to leave (ATL could deny permission since it's a latteral move)
Kyle Shanahan - Redskins OC/Former Texans OC - Same as above...

Plenty of others I can't think of right now.


Guys Who would be on top of our list (probably don't want to come here):
Jon Gruden - Former Bucs/Raiders HC
Bill Cowher - Former Steelers HC
Tony Dungy - Former Bucs/Colts HC

Alternate HCs:
Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)
Mike Mularkey (Falcons OC)/Musgrave (QB Coach) (would be OC then)
Sean McDermott - Eagles DC (bring Mornhinweg with as OC)


EdiT: As much as I am intrigued by all these assistants and Jim Harbaugh I think we need to spend the money and get one of the proven winning coaches. I don't want us to make the wrong choice 4 times in a row (Erickson, Nolan, Sing)

Forget about Gruden, Cowher and Dungy, you're living in dream world if you think they would come here. Mike Mularkey was a previous HC at Buffalo and failed, however I think with that experience in mind and doing such great things with Matt Ryan and that offense, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I'm thinking more and more it's gonna be Billick. Definitely not that flashy pick by any means but does meet certain criteria:

Previous HC
Previous Superbowl Winner
Previous OC (Offensive Background)
Regular Season Record as HC is 80-64

and let him bring back his old coordinators
oh wait...
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,429
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Kind of my updated want list...

DC:
Keith Butler - Steelers LB coach (studying under Dick Lebeau) Would have to pay big bucks because he is next in line as Steelers DC after Lebeau retiers.

OC:
Mike Mularkey - Falcons OC/Bring with QB coach Musgrave (have to pay big bucks to persuade to leave (ATL could deny permission since it's a latteral move)
Kyle Shanahan - Redskins OC/Former Texans OC - Same as above...

Plenty of others I can't think of right now.


Guys Who would be on top of our list (probably don't want to come here):
Jon Gruden - Former Bucs/Raiders HC
Bill Cowher - Former Steelers HC
Tony Dungy - Former Bucs/Colts HC

Alternate HCs:
Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)
Mike Mularkey (Falcons OC)/Musgrave (QB Coach) (would be OC then)
Sean McDermott - Eagles DC (bring Mornhinweg with as OC)


EdiT: As much as I am intrigued by all these assistants and Jim Harbaugh I think we need to spend the money and get one of the proven winning coaches. I don't want us to make the wrong choice 4 times in a row (Erickson, Nolan, Sing)

Forget about Gruden, Cowher and Dungy, you're living in dream world if you think they would come here. Mike Mularkey was a previous HC at Buffalo and failed, however I think with that experience in mind and doing such great things with Matt Ryan and that offense, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I'm thinking more and more it's gonna be Billick. Definitely not that flashy pick by any means but does meet certain criteria:

Previous HC
Previous Superbowl Winner
Previous OC (Offensive Background)
Regular Season Record as HC is 80-64

and let him bring back his old coordinators
oh wait...

I'm in the minority possibly, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Manusky back. I think he has done an excellent job. The offense had 2 good drives yesterday. The rest of them were dreadful and mostly ended up giving Carolina excellent field position. A defense can only hold for so long, plus don't forget 7 of the 20 points we because of the defense and 13 of the 20 points came off defensive turnovers.
  • evil
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 46,740
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Jon Gruden has NOT developed a QB. He's had success with 2 old vets; Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. Without those 2, he struggled at the QB position. One major reason for this is due to the overly-complicated nature of his offense, and in particular his offense's verbiage.

Let's all just remember these facts when lusting over the idea of Gruden.

The Eagles never spent a high draft choice on a QB during his tenure as OC there.

The Raiders, one can say the same with the exception of Marques Tuiasosopo (2nd round selection) during his last year there, which he never got enough time to try and develop him. Also Al Davis will draft whom he damn pleases.

The Bucs....Rich McKay and Bruce Allen never invested a high draft pick on a QB for him either.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

I'm in the minority possibly, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Manusky back. I think he has done an excellent job. The offense had 2 good drives yesterday. The rest of them were dreadful and mostly ended up giving Carolina excellent field position. A defense can only hold for so long, plus don't forget 7 of the 20 points we because of the defense and 13 of the 20 points came off defensive turnovers.
if he can keep up the run defense where it is and teach the guys how to defend the screens (worked yesterday if i'm not wrong) then we can talk about your suggestion.
but he has to improve the pass-rush just a little bit more...the 2ndary is also a question of individual quality, so it's exucable in his favor.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,429
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

I'm in the minority possibly, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Manusky back. I think he has done an excellent job. The offense had 2 good drives yesterday. The rest of them were dreadful and mostly ended up giving Carolina excellent field position. A defense can only hold for so long, plus don't forget 7 of the 20 points we because of the defense and 13 of the 20 points came off defensive turnovers.
if he can keep up the run defense where it is and teach the guys how to defend the screens (worked yesterday if i'm not wrong) then we can talk about your suggestion.
but he has to improve the pass-rush just a little bit more...the 2ndary is also a question of individual quality, so it's exucable in his favor.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Manusky is being held back by Singletary, to play conservative. We also have to factor in that in 3-4 defenses your pass rush has gotta come from the LB's, we have Lawson, LaBoy, Haralson and Brooks, none of these have ever had 10 sack seasons. We have a bunch of OK pass rushers. Look at Green Bay with Clay Matthews, Dallas with Damarcus Ware, Steelers have Woodley and Harrison, Ravens have Suggs, our players wouldn't even sniff consistent time on those teams.

The defense has average players besides for Willis (and even he isn't looking that great this year). Which is why we rank right in the middle for defense at 15th overall. The team lacks a premier pass rusher and a premier CB. Not good.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Jon Gruden has NOT developed a QB. He's had success with 2 old vets; Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. Without those 2, he struggled at the QB position. One major reason for this is due to the overly-complicated nature of his offense, and in particular his offense's verbiage.

Let's all just remember these facts when lusting over the idea of Gruden.

The Eagles never spent a high draft choice on a QB during his tenure as OC there.

The Raiders, one can say the same with the exception of Marques Tuiasosopo (2nd round selection) during his last year there, which he never got enough time to try and develop him. Also Al Davis will draft whom he damn pleases.

The Bucs....Rich McKay and Bruce Allen never invested a high draft pick on a QB for him either.

So you're saying it's okay because he never got to coach a top-10 draft pick? After Brad Johnson left the Bucs, Gruden has his choice of who to bring in next. He messed with Chris Simms, Brian Greise, Jeff Garcia, etc. But he never once looked to a young QB to groom.

This notion that Gruden is a developer of QBs needs to be dispelled. Until he does it, he hasn't done it. Get me?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Jon Gruden has NOT developed a QB. He's had success with 2 old vets; Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. Without those 2, he struggled at the QB position. One major reason for this is due to the overly-complicated nature of his offense, and in particular his offense's verbiage.

Let's all just remember these facts when lusting over the idea of Gruden.

The Eagles never spent a high draft choice on a QB during his tenure as OC there.

The Raiders, one can say the same with the exception of Marques Tuiasosopo (2nd round selection) during his last year there, which he never got enough time to try and develop him. Also Al Davis will draft whom he damn pleases.

The Bucs....Rich McKay and Bruce Allen never invested a high draft pick on a QB for him either.

Not sure why the guy is bashing Gruden for turning a journeymen quarterback into a Pro Bowler (Rich Gannon). We might not even have a shot at a premiere rookie quartberback so if Jon Gruden can turn a vet into a Pro Bowler I'm all for it.
I'd like Gruden. But in all honestly, I dont want a first time coach. Im really getting tired of these in game miscues and mistake that have been made by nolan and now singletary! I want a coach who can actually out coach the other coach!
How about we just do what every struggling franchise-turned-playoff 'organization' does: wait until the end of the Superbowl and snatch up the offensive/defensive coordinator of the winning/losing Superbowl team!

Or realistically, snatch up either/or from any of the final 4 conference championship teams at the end of January!

It's really only that f**king simple!!!
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.

Only knock is that he's sort of adjacent to Gruden; smart guy, but barks at his players, cannot develop a good QB, and inherited a 4-star defense that won 'one' Superbowl, which eventually faded into obscurity the rest of his (Ravens) career.

That's another thing as well, our past 2 coaches (Nolan/Sing) came from his coaching-tree, we gotta separate ourselves from the Ravens!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.

Only knock is that he's sort of adjacent to Gruden; smart guy, but barks at his players, cannot develop a good QB, and inherited a 4-star defense that won 'one' Superbowl, which eventually faded into obscurity the rest of his (Ravens) career.

That's another thing as well, our past 2 coaches (Nolan/Sing) came from his coaching-tree, we gotta separate ourselves from the Ravens!

I agree, but it's just an idea.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.

Only knock is that he's sort of adjacent to Gruden; smart guy, but barks at his players, cannot develop a good QB, and inherited a 4-star defense that won 'one' Superbowl, which eventually faded into obscurity the rest of his (Ravens) career.

That's another thing as well, our past 2 coaches (Nolan/Sing) came from his coaching-tree, we gotta separate ourselves from the Ravens!

I agree, but it's just an idea.

I think he would be a decent coach but probably wouldn't take us where we are use to. He might be a safe choice though. I agree though... we have to explore EVERY option as fans and hopefully the ownership does too. We can't get the wrong coach 4 times in a row.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.

Only knock is that he's sort of adjacent to Gruden; smart guy, but barks at his players, cannot develop a good QB, and inherited a 4-star defense that won 'one' Superbowl, which eventually faded into obscurity the rest of his (Ravens) career.

That's another thing as well, our past 2 coaches (Nolan/Sing) came from his coaching-tree, we gotta separate ourselves from the Ravens!

I don't think we necessarily need to separate ourselves from the Ravens. They're one of the top 5 or so franchises we should strive to emulate. Over the last 10+ years, they've been consistently good.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why hasn't very much been said about Brian Billick? I think he's a good option for the 49ers.

Billick is on my list.

1) Gruden
2) Harbaugh - I know the stigma against college coaches, but Jim is a former NFL QB so he knows the league. He's an highly intelligent offensive coach and he has had success at every HC position: University of San Diego and Stanford (not your traditional schools)
3) Billick - another former SB winning coach. You can tell when he speaks on NFL Network that he's very knowledgable about the game. Offensive guy who would probably keep Mike Johnson as OC since he hired him as Ravens WR coach but that's my speculation. This guy is better than other retreads like Norv, Wade Phillips, and these two keep finding jobs.

And Cowher and Dungy are not coming here......again my speculation.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone