LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maybe Bono vs Grbac? Bono doesn't belong in the same sentence as Young.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
He looked like Montana. I attached a link to demonstrate that physical resemblance is as far as it went.
that is one of the reasons i wanted young traded,, I knew with derick thomas, we would get better and faster on defense and when bono faked the inside handoff and threw the ball, it was montana 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5100302478495499389

76 yard TD run.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Part of the thread's implication is whether or not the 49ers as a team could have been better with Montana and Bono in SF instead of KC.

Some posters have responded as such.

Agree with the defense, but part of me wonders if Steve Young was the Peyton Manning of the '90s -- terrific regular season, questionable post season. Also the Holmgren factor really cost us some trips to the SB.
our defense with thomas would have very good, dallas would have had no answer for his speed. on offense, the team and rice never would had to adjust to bono like they did with the lefty young. our defense would have been much better and with all of the weapons on offense bono could have easily done what young did and esp with thomas being the difference maker, we would have taken dallas out twice. I never worried about players,, its all about the team. trading young for thomas would have given us a much better team in my opinion
Your just bitter they let Montana walk.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
Your just bitter they let Montana walk.

this has nothing to do with montana. If you want to start a thread asking,, what if we would have traded young and kept montana, thats a whole other story,, as is a thread which would say,, what would have occured had walsh not walked away so soon. i was ok with them moving montana but i felt the job should have went to bono. we could have got a hall of famer linebacker who never would have died and with our offensive weapons, bono could have done the job.
One linebacker wouldn't have made a difference. The corners were still outmatched.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
One linebacker wouldn't have made a difference. The corners were still outmatched.

thomas was a game changer. they would have had to double team all the time, i bet troy would never have had the time to make those throws. you are right, you never know but it is interesting to ponder
I'm sorry but Bono wouldn't have done any better. I would equate Bono as more of a game manager. Something fans nowadays despise.
I'm sorry but Bono wouldn't have done any better. I would equate Bono as more of a game manager. Something fans nowadays despise.

Based on what?

Dude the guy was shredding defenses in 91.

there was NOTHING game manager

about him.

In 91 he on par for 4400 yards and 30 tds

Steve Young never threw for over 4100 yards and only broke 30 tds twice.

Bono's work in the 49ers WCO speaks very well of him.

He was on the BLEEDING edge of performance for bill walshes offense.

Even on piss poor CHIEFS the guy was racking up yardage and tds throwing to guys no one remembers.
[ Edited by Dshearn on May 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM ]

In 91 Bono threw an impressive 59.5 completion percentage. With an average of 179 yards a game. 11 TDs and 4 ints that was for all 9 games he played that season.

In KC in 94 he only threw 796
in 95 was his best at 3100
in 96 it fell to 2500

all with mid 50s in completion percentage.

Tell me again how great he was?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BonoSt00.htm
I don't know about "better" but Bono was starter material in the NFL. If Bono was around today he COULD start for a handful of teams.

I don't know that using his stats in KC is an accurate way to show "well see...he wasn't that good." It was a diff offense. I think Bono could have done well with Walsh and learning from our coaches and our offense, etc. I think Bono could have managed to win ONE super bowl with the 49ers.
Where is Bono now...

Pretty impressive post football career actually...wow.

Steve Bono

Steve joined Constellation Wealth Advisors LLC in 2009 with a focus on business development. He has over 10 years of experience in financial services most recently in the venture services arm of the Investment Banking Division at ThinkEquity Partners. In that role, he focused on marketing to the venture capital community as well as assisting in raising money for both public and private companies. His prior experience includes serving as Vice President in Bank of America's Private Bank and as a consultant with Champion Ventures, a venture capital fund of funds.

He is popularly known for his career as an NFL quarterback. Of his 15 years in the league, Steve played five seasons for the San Francisco 49ers and has one Super Bowl ring to his credit. The culmination of his career came in 1995 when he was named to the AFC Pro Bowl team for leading the Kansas City Chiefs to a 13-3 record and a division title.

Steve graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Sociology with a minor in Business.

Steve lives with his wife and their two children in Palo Alto, California.

http://www.cwallc.com/Steve-Bono.asp

Starter material is not the argument. Would the niners been better with Bono vs Young is and I say no. Just look at the yards and completion percentage while in SF. Never mind the fact that Young was a threat with his feet as well. Heck Young on a healthy year rushed for more yards in a single season then Bono did his whole career combined. On pace to do something special doesnt coun for anything.
I still don't think trading a future HOF QB for a LB is a smart move for the team with the QB.
Share 49ersWebzone