LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 402 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1:45

Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.

Yes that weak ass defense that led the team to a 14-2 record in 1992 only to have Stevie boy choke it away in the NFC Championship.

We won those 14 games mostly because we had the #1 offense in the league. Our defense was mediocre.

Of course it was a number 1 offense. What else are you going to have with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Ricky Watters etc? But mediocre defense? The D was ranked number 3 that year. See stats here http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1992.htm But stats schmatz, when it came to demonstrating his manhood Steve Young fell apart like a house of cards. He was always very good when ahead and the offense was dominating. However, when it came to gut check time, he fizzled. If the game was close, you could bank on him going into hysterics. He had one Joe Montana moment, the wildcard game against Green Bay at the stick. Bono, won when his team was down here and at at KC.

Steve Young is just another feline that came out of BYU, a glorified junior college.

Ranked 3rd in points allowed. But that stat alone doesn't tell the whole story. They had the 5th ranked rushing defense and the 26th ranked passing defense. 26th out of 28 teams.

Steve Young won the MVP and offensive player of the year in 92. Give him some credit.....

Sure. I'll give credit. I just proffer that Bono would have been MVP that year too. Not only that, he would have taken us to the SB and win it. It's all just opinion, right?
Originally posted by English:
Of course it was a number 1 offense. What else are you going to have with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Ricky Watters etc? But mediocre defense? The D was ranked number 3 that year. See stats here http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1992.htm But stats schmatz, when it came to demonstrating his manhood Steve Young fell apart like a house of cards. He was always very good when ahead and the offense was dominating. However, when it came to gut check time, he fizzled. He had one Joe Montana time, the wildcard game against Green Bay at the stick. Bono, won when his team was down here at at KC.

Steve Young is just another feline that came out of BYU, a glorified junior college.

Well you have expressed your lack of respect for Young. I see nothing here, though, to support the idea that Bono could have been better. And that is the thread subject.

The last sentence of the first paragraph? The bit at the end was totally unnecessary, I'll admit.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Well you have expressed your lack of respect for Young. I see nothing here, though, to support the idea that Bono could have been better. And that is the thread subject.

I agree. i may have wanted to trade young and still felt it was the right thing to do but you do not disrespect the man for what he did for us, the injuries he had, the guts he had. He is a hall of fame person, a beloved figure. he did what people like garcia never could do and that is withstand the montana shadow. the man deserves the utmost respect

Garcia didn't have Young's probowl cast.
This thread is one among many proofs that 49ers fans are particularly tough on their starting QBs, even a HOFer.
The last sentence of the first paragraph? The bit at the end was totally unnecessary, I'll admit.

The idea that Bono could have been better, is the key area.

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXBXXBonoSt00.htm&t=0

Check that out. I liked Bono. But I never saw a HoF qb there. I was never sure I saw an NFL starter. He was a great guy to have behind Joe, but that isn't the point we are arguing.
We replaced SIX defensive starters with new ones from 1993 > 1994 (B. Young, Jackson, Plummer, Norton, Woodall, Sanders).

Pass defense was terrible in 1992-93.
[ Edited by captveg on May 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Well he looked good here:

9:29 in

Rathman!!!

Check that out. I liked Bono. But I never saw a HoF qb there. I was never sure I saw an NFL starter. He was a great guy to have behind Joe, but that isn't the point we are arguing.

Bono took over half-way in the 1991 season after Young was injured. I was amazed with how Montanaesque he was. He read coverages and led his receivers beautifully. Something Young did do but not as well as Bono, even in his MVP years. Young compensated for his average throwing ability with great running. Funny, Young finally learned to play the quarterback position in the 1998 season, the year before he was kayoed. Too bad. We missed out in what could have been even more special.

Originally posted by WeAreLegend:

It's just opinion, chappie. We are just having fun.

Bono took over half-way in the 1991 season after Young was injured. I was amazed with how Montanaesque he was. He read coverages and led his receivers beautifully. Something Young did do but not as well as Bono, even in his MVP years. Young compensated for his average throwing ability with great running. Funny, Young finally learned to play the quarterback position in the 1998 season, the year before he was kayoed. Too bad. We missed out in what could have been even more special.

He looked like Montana. I attached a link to demonstrate that physical resemblance is as far as it went.

Young could read defenses just fine well before 1998.
Hmmmmmm........Hall of Fame Qb vs Bono?

This thread is REALLY SILLY........Bono looked great in small doses, hell even Jeff Kemp looked good, but Bono starting full time over Young. Young could have won more superbowls if we had a better team around him......PERIOD end of story.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Hmmmmmm........Hall of Fame Qb vs Bono?

This thread is REALLY SILLY........Bono looked great in small doses, hell even Jeff Kemp looked good, but Bono starting full time over Young. Young could have won more superbowls if we had a better team around him......PERIOD end of story.

Part of the thread's implication is whether or not the 49ers as a team could have been better with Montana and Bono in SF instead of KC.

Some posters have responded as such.

Agree with the defense, but part of me wonders if Steve Young was the Peyton Manning of the '90s -- terrific regular season, questionable post season. Also the Holmgren factor really cost us some trips to the SB.
Share 49ersWebzone