There are 233 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Interesting comments about Haley which don't sit with various other stories I have heard. Care to source them?

It was one of those ESPN pieces talking about Steve Young and his rivalry with Joe, they mentioned that mentioned Haley at the time couldn't believe they were treating Joe like that. I know there were other things about Haley, what are the other stories you heard?
Originally posted by cciowa:
haly left because he was a screwball who was unable or unwilling to co exsist with the coaches and some of his team mates,,, like tim harris.the niner front office were idiots for trading him to the cowboys.. this thread was created for the express purpose of woulda coulda. its fun to debate what could have happend,, if you do not want to lament, no one is forcing you to.. another would could thread could be started for what could have occured had we kept haley and tim harris on the same team and then you add in thomas. it would have been the greatest defense in nfl history and bono would have been just fine. hell we may never have needed sanders
While I understand its a business, I understand Haley's reaction AS A PLAYER, if this is how you treat the guy who brought the 49ers so much how are you going to treat the rest of us. Plus players are loyal to the guy that leads them. You have the guys back. You see screwball, I saw a guy that just spoke his heart. As a fan you want the winning to be forever, I understand, but Haley was beinng a human being thats all

Instead of coulda shoulda whoulda you should deal in reality and wake up and smell the coffee, never woulda happened why? SALARY CAP-no way you going to afford Haley, Harris, and Thomas. We lost Sanders cause the year he came to the niners, it was a one year deal that he accepted below what he could have commanded, but wanted to be on a winner and win a superbowl. I believed he signed for a mill at the time but could have gotten 6 if he wanted the money. That was just one player. How you going to afford three?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
While I understand its a business, I understand Haley's reaction AS A PLAYER, if this is how you treat the guy who brought the 49ers so much how are you going to treat the rest of us. Plus players are loyal to the guy that leads them. You have the guys back. You see screwball, I saw a guy that just spoke his heart. As a fan you want the winning to be forever, I understand, but Haley was beinng a human being thats all

Instead of coulda shoulda whoulda you should deal in reality and wake up and smell the coffee, never woulda happened why? SALARY CAP-no way you going to afford Haley, Harris, and Thomas. We lost Sanders cause the year he came to the niners, it was a one year deal that he accepted below what he could have commanded, but wanted to be on a winner and win a superbowl. I believed he signed for a mill at the time but could have gotten 6 if he wanted the money. That was just one player. How you going to afford three?
sheesh,, you do not have to yell at me. I was just thinking out loud in regards to having those three on the same team creating havoc in the nfl that is what this whole thread is about,, sheer specualation.i often think about how good our d could have been if haley had gotten along with tim harris. Oh and by the way, i do smell the coffee. i hate to drink it but i like to smell it... when I drink it I pee alot but that just means i will cry alot less
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
It was one of those ESPN pieces talking about Steve Young and his rivalry with Joe, they mentioned that mentioned Haley at the time couldn't believe they were treating Joe like that. I know there were other things about Haley, what are the other stories you heard?
this is what i heard and read. He did not like george s. that was big in itself. he did not like it when they brought in tim harris, for whatever reason he felt threatened.I know he went nuts after a loss to oakland they had to go get ronnie lott from the raider dressing room to calm him down. i do not know if it was connected to steve young or not. The niners were idiots for trading him to dallas knowing that we could meet up with them later. I still do not know whose car he took a pee on,,, harris or siefert.. but alls well that ends well,, he played his last season with us, or his last gamer with us which was a playoff loss i believe to green bay. I think the root of all things was his problem relationship with george as head coach when bill left
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Maybe it's a stretch, but I really think Bono was very underrated by many 49er fans and league fans as well. When he took over for Young in '91, I thought he played better/smoother.

Now it's hard to argue against the greatness of Steve Young as a hall of famer.

But here's the interesting thing:

Even if Young was better than Bono.......if Bono is as good as some of us thinks he was, Young could have been put on the trading block instead of Montana. Bono didn't seem to have that immediate need to play like Young did.

After all he did follow Joe to KC.

For all the Kaep talk on here, figured I'd throw out a far more proven dude that never got a starting job.

Not even close.
Share 49ersWebzone