LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 187 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maybe it's a stretch, but I really think Bono was very underrated by many 49er fans and league fans as well. When he took over for Young in '91, I thought he played better/smoother.

Now it's hard to argue against the greatness of Steve Young as a hall of famer.

But here's the interesting thing:

Even if Young was better than Bono.......if Bono is as good as some of us thinks he was, Young could have been put on the trading block instead of Montana. Bono didn't seem to have that immediate need to play like Young did.

After all he did follow Joe to KC.

For all the Kaep talk on here, figured I'd throw out a far more proven dude that never got a starting job.
no
No. Steve Young added another dimension to the offense with his running ability. He did struggled a little in his first year as a starter in the offense. But once Young got the handle on the offense. There was no one better. He was the League MVP twice I think. Bono was a very good backup and may be a starter for some teams. But ability wise, Young was much better.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Maybe it's a stretch, but I really think Bono was very underrated by many 49er fans and league fans as well. When he took over for Young in '91, I thought he played better/smoother.

Now it's hard to argue against the greatness of Steve Young as a hall of famer.

But here's the interesting thing:

Even if Young was better than Bono.......if Bono is as good as some of us thinks he was, Young could have been put on the trading block instead of Montana. Bono didn't seem to have that immediate need to play like Young did.

After all he did follow Joe to KC.

For all the Kaep talk on here, figured I'd throw out a far more proven dude that never got a starting job.

He WAS put in the trade block!!!!

The 49ers tried to get rid of young and keep Bono.

Bono was a head of the curve compared to Young

Green bay would not give up there first for young , they offered thier second and the rest is history

We missed the playoffs that year even though by seasons end we where probably the best team in the NFL.

Bono had that offense clicking on all cylinders.

It's a what could have been for sure
No.
I'll respond in Steve Bono speak.

Uhhhh, Steve Young was on another level as an athlete, uhhhh, and Young like Montana, uhhhh, made the great athletes around him click at a championship level, uhhhhh, while Steve Bono, uhhhh, needed all those great athletes and pro-bowlers surrounding him to make him, uhhhh, look better than he actually was.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
No.

Pretty much says it all.

Originally posted by Dshearn:
He WAS put in the trade block!!!!

The 49ers tried to get rid of young and keep Bono.

Bono was a head of the curve compared to Young

Green bay would not give up there first for young , they offered thier second and the rest is history

We missed the playoffs that year even though by seasons end we where probably the best team in the NFL.

Bono had that offense clicking on all cylinders.

It's a what could have been for sure

They got their revenge though by drafting Rodgers late 1st while we drafted Smith 1st overall. lol
Was bono better then Young at that time

Hell yes

They tried to get rid of Steve Young

Young is one of my all time favorite players.

But The 49ers WOULD have made the playoffs and WOULD have been a Super Bowl threat with bono as the stater all season
Originally posted by BayArea:
They got their revenge though by drafting Rodgers late 1st while we drafted Smith 1st overall. lol

When hitler tells you to squak like a chicken and throw the ball on one leg with one eye closed.....you do it if you want to be the 1# pick in the draft.
Well he looked good here:

9:29 in
Share 49ersWebzone