There are 198 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by cciowa:
at the time trading a quarterback who was not a hall of famer for a linebacker who , everyone knew was going to be a hall of famer was the right thing to do. back then young was just some guy who threw for nice stats but was not a game changer in a big game,,,, thomas on the other hand was in the top five of overalll top five nfl players and was a game changer

I think those in charge at the time knew a hell of alot more then you do and did the right thing. As for Thomas your using hindsight. Who knows Maybe they would trade for Thomas. Doesn't mean he would have been a game changer. Hell he could have signed and in his first game blown out a knee and never be the same. We can play the coulda woulda all day. In the end Young was the superior QB. And I still don't think Thomas would have made that much of an impact. Remember our corners were horrible that year.

I think my memory of that time is still fairly clear. Thomas was a proven monster at the time for KC. Young was just emerging out of Montana's shadow. People can see the talent but not sure if it would 'fit' the Niners offense. It's good that Young proved everyone wrong about their doubt. Because there was a short period there that Young was ready to move on. And he and everyone else wouldn't be surprised if the FO had made the decision to trade him instead of Joe.

As for myself, I was all messed up inside and torn between the 2. Just glad I didn't have to make the decision.
I can not believe that this thread made it past page one.
Bono No. Steve made a lot happen because he could scrammble and was VERY fast.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I can not believe that this thread made it past page one.
its kind of fun to speculate. i know lots of folks wonder what if bill walsh had not retired after the super bowl. some people hate to play that game but its fun and harmless if you really want to go into the twilight zone you can say it was good we made the deal for oj simpson, that lead to the hiring of bill walsh
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Was bono better then Young at that time

Hell yes

They tried to get rid of Steve Young

Young is one of my all time favorite players.

But The 49ers WOULD have made the playoffs and WOULD have been a Super Bowl threat with bono as the stater all season

They were the best team in the league at the end of the season IMO. Its a shame they put themselves in a whole and didn't make the playoffs.
Face it we will never agree. But numbers don't lie. Young was superior to Bono that season.

They entertained trading Young not because of performance but the locker room chemistry between him and Montana.

All the teams hated facing Young. No one was afraid when Bono was at the helm.
Not a chance. Love Steve "I got you babe" Bono but he wasn't Steve Young
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Face it we will never agree. But numbers don't lie. Young was superior to Bono that season.

They entertained trading Young not because of performance but the locker room chemistry between him and Montana.

All the teams hated facing Young. No one was afraid when Bono was at the helm.
i think the niners were thinking about trading young cuz they may have been thinking in the back of thier mind what jimmy johnson said in public,, that steve young can not win the big game. Plus they also had a chance to get one of the top two established bona fide linebackers at the time who was approaching his prime. thomas would have been a upgrade and then some over romo . teams may not have feared bono but he certainly did beat alot of teams.. To bad for him and the niners they just missed the playoffs that year due to thier poor start
Win that big game is a bunch of bull people cling to. Sure I could see it in other sports but football is the ultimate team sport. Sure one Guy can have a big impact but id the supporting cast doesn't step up its all for not.

Just look at P. Manning in Indy. Only one Superbowl. If that team had a respectable defense furrier g those years Manning would rival Montana to SB victories.

Young suffered the same thing.

So don't tell me he couldn't win a big game.

I still don't think a star LB would have made the difference. Would it help? Sure but not enough to offset what Young brought to the offence.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Win that big game is a bunch of bull people cling to. Sure I could see it in other sports but football is the ultimate team sport. Sure one Guy can have a big impact but id the supporting cast doesn't step up its all for not.

Just look at P. Manning in Indy. Only one Superbowl. If that team had a respectable defense furrier g those years Manning would rival Montana to SB victories.

Young suffered the same thing.

So don't tell me he couldn't win a big game.

I still don't think a star LB would have made the difference. Would it help? Sure but not enough to offset what Young brought to the offence.
still could never figure out why the team was either unable or unwilling to get a decent running back in here back then. i remember how happy i was when we got terry kirby. Never could figure out why they were ok with young being our best running back

With all due respect, this is an absurd thread.

Steve Bono is a really good guy, and was a fine player and great teammate. However, he never had a fraction of Steve Young's talent. For those of you who didn't get much of a chance to see Young play in the early 90s, he was flat out amazing...both passing and running the ball. Like Montana before him, he was often able to create something out of nothing when the original play broke down.

When he was in his prime, I don't think there was anything on the football field he couldn't do from the QB position. He led the league in passing 6 times in 7 years...
'Nuff said.

Cheers!
I think we would have won the SB with Bono when we missed the playoffs
Bono was an excellent backup and a good starter once he got his chance but he's not the Hall of Famer Young is.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think we would have won the SB with Bono when we missed the playoffs

We started to get really good towards the end of the year. I remember that season well. Young finally got healthy and he tore s**t up against the Bears on Monday Night.We made a playoff bound team look so bad even though we were 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
I remember the SF Chron's headlines on the green page before a key game in which Steve Bono started, "Oh, No, its Bono!" Then, after Bono threw for 300 plus yards, the headline read on Monday, "Bono's like Joe!"

To me, though, Steve Young had the Niners humming with deadly precision. Second only to Joe's work, after Young figured out the offense, football never look as good. I would have loved to see Bono run the offense at its peak, however.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on May 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone