There are 102 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kingairta:
In 91 Bono threw an impressive 59.5 completion percentage. With an average of 179 yards a game. 11 TDs and 4 ints that was for all 9 games he played that season.

In KC in 94 he only threw 796
in 95 was his best at 3100
in 96 it fell to 2500

all with mid 50s in completion percentage.

Tell me again how great he was?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BonoSt00.htm

That didn't add to what i watched in 81 up nor did what i posted earlier so I doublchecked...

91 starts
week 10. 131

Week 11 187

Week 12. 306. 1td. 1 in

Week 13 343 3td

Week 14 280 3td 2 int

Week 15 280 3td

That's on pace for over 4000 yards season

And 27 tds 8 ints per season

Still BAD ASS

As far as KC and there crappy skill players

He out played Montana with The same skill players
Are you kidding me no is the answer.
With the same team same system in 91 Young was 64.5 percent a rating of 101.1 in 10 games he was well over 2500 yards. I'm sorry but I don't think the team would have faired any better in the long run with Bono at the helm.

Was he good yes was he great no. Ill take a great qb over a great lb any day.

Also this is totally disreguarding the rushing yards each brings to the game. In those 10 games Young rushed for over 400 yards.

Bono never rushed that many in his whole career.

So in those 10 games young accounted for nearly 3000 yards of offence.
Heck numbers wise in KC Bono put similar numbers as Alex Smith.
Backup QBs rule! They are the promise that never has to be revealed.
Here is another thing to ponder, Young avoided sacks with his legs, would Bono lasted as long?

As for Thomas, we played a different type of D. People also forgetting the salary cap. Our problem was the CB play. Case in point Dieon. If he wasn't such a mercenary. The niners could have another 2 easy. In fact we could have won three straight.

The SOB cowboys were smart though, if you can't beat them take their players away, first Haley then Dieon.

Another thing to think about too, Haley left because he was in Joe's corner.

I still prefer Young. However, if Haley was more of a team player and then we got and kept Dieon, instead of just 5, we might actually have 8 by now. We also might have a different situation right now. No JH, no Alex, no Baalke. We might have kept Bono and also in hindsight Elvis Grbac.- then no Garcia to.

All coulda shoulda woulda-why lament, it is what it is, just like we could had Rodgers....move on
Originally posted by WildBill:
Here is another thing to ponder, Young avoided sacks with his legs, would Bono lasted as long?

As for Thomas, we played a different type of D. People also forgetting the salary cap. Our problem was the CB play. Case in point Dieon. If he wasn't such a mercenary. The niners could have another 2 easy. In fact we could have won three straight.

The SOB cowboys were smart though, if you can't beat them take their players away, first Haley then Dieon.

I still prefer Young. However, if Haley was more of a team player and then we got and kept Dieon, instead of just 5, we might actually have 8 by now. We also might have a different situation right now. No JH, no Alex, no Baalke. We might have kept Bono and also in hindsight Elvis Grbac.- then no Garcia to.

All coulda shoulda woulda-why lament, it is what it is, just like we could had Rodgers....move on

Interesting comments about Haley which don't sit with various other stories I have heard. Care to source them?
The year Bono played , the Niners were the hottest/best NFL team to NOT make the playoff at 10-6.

They ended on a hot win streak that involved beating some reallY good teams.

But he wasn't better than Young

In 6 games Bono was sacked 11 times for - 91 yards
in 10 games Young was sacked 13 times for - 79 yards

Lord help us fans and make it stop
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
I still don't think trading a future HOF QB for a LB is a smart move for the team with the QB.
at the time trading a quarterback who was not a hall of famer for a linebacker who , everyone knew was going to be a hall of famer was the right thing to do. back then young was just some guy who threw for nice stats but was not a game changer in a big game,,,, thomas on the other hand was in the top five of overalll top five nfl players and was a game changer
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

haly left because he was a screwball who was unable or unwilling to co exsist with the coaches and some of his team mates,,, like tim harris.the niner front office were idiots for trading him to the cowboys.. this thread was created for the express purpose of woulda coulda. its fun to debate what could have happend,, if you do not want to lament, no one is forcing you to.. another would could thread could be started for what could have occured had we kept haley and tim harris on the same team and then you add in thomas. it would have been the greatest defense in nfl history and bono would have been just fine. hell we may never have needed sanders
Originally posted by cciowa:

haly left because he was a screwball who was unable or unwilling to co exsist with the coaches and some of his team mates,,, like tim harris.the niner front office were idiots for trading him to the cowboys.. this thread was created for the express purpose of woulda coulda. its fun to debate what could have happend,, if you do not want to lament, no one is forcing you to.. another would could thread could be started for what could have occured had we kept haley and tim harris on the same team and then you add in thomas. it would have been the greatest defense in nfl history and bono would have been just fine. hell we may never have needed sanders

Wow, that's crazy!
Originally posted by cciowa:
at the time trading a quarterback who was not a hall of famer for a linebacker who , everyone knew was going to be a hall of famer was the right thing to do. back then young was just some guy who threw for nice stats but was not a game changer in a big game,,,, thomas on the other hand was in the top five of overalll top five nfl players and was a game changer

I think those in charge at the time knew a hell of alot more then you do and did the right thing. As for Thomas your using hindsight. Who knows Maybe they would trade for Thomas. Doesn't mean he would have been a game changer. Hell he could have signed and in his first game blown out a knee and never be the same. We can play the coulda woulda all day. In the end Young was the superior QB. And I still don't think Thomas would have made that much of an impact. Remember our corners were horrible that year.
Share 49ersWebzone