LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.

Yes that weak ass defense that led the team to a 14-2 record in 1992 only to have Stevie boy choke it away in the NFC Championship.

We won those 14 games mostly because we had the #1 offense in the league. Our defense was mediocre.

Of course it was a number 1 offense. What else are you going to have with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Ricky Watters etc? But mediocre defense? The D was ranked number 3 that year. See stats here http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1992.htm But stats schmatz, when it came to demonstrating his manhood Steve Young fell apart like a house of cards. He was always very good when ahead and the offense was dominating. However, when it came to gut check time, he fizzled. If the game was close, you could bank on him going into hysterics. He had one Joe Montana moment, the wildcard game against Green Bay at the stick. Bono, won when his team was down here and at at KC.

Steve Young is just another feline that came out of BYU, a glorified junior college.
[ Edited by JoeisGod on May 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
Of course it was a number 1 offense. What else are you going to have with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Ricky Watters etc? But mediocre defense? The D was ranked number 3 that year. See stats here http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1992.htm But stats schmatz, when it came to demonstrating his manhood Steve Young fell apart like a house of cards. He was always very good when ahead and the offense was dominating. However, when it came to gut check time, he fizzled. He had one Joe Montana time, the wildcard game against Green Bay at the stick. Bono, won when his team was down here at at KC.

Steve Young is just another feline that came out of BYU, a glorified junior college.

Well you have expressed your lack of respect for Young. I see nothing here, though, to support the idea that Bono could have been better. And that is the thread subject.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No. Steve Young added another dimension to the offense with his running ability. He did struggled a little in his first year as a starter in the offense. But once Young got the handle on the offense. There was no one better. He was the League MVP twice I think. Bono was a very good backup and may be a starter for some teams. But ability wise, Young was much better.

This.

once we got better on defense is when we got over the hump.my argument is that we could have gotten better on defense by trading young for derrick thomas. with all of our offensive weapons bono or montana would only have to manage the game!Plus without young, the team would have done a much better job of finding a running back after ricky w left. he was the mvp o f twice but he along with our slow defense, pissed two nfc title games down thier legs untill we got better on defense. i do say young grew up alot in those two years and improved mentally which was a piece of the success we had in 94 but lets not kid ourselves.. after the last dallas nfc title game we lost, they went out and got defense.My point is that we could have improved our defense in 1991 with the trade and could have won more superbowls that what we did
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Well you have expressed your lack of respect for Young. I see nothing here, though, to support the idea that Bono could have been better. And that is the thread subject.

I agree. i may have wanted to trade young and still felt it was the right thing to do but you do not disrespect the man for what he did for us, the injuries he had, the guts he had. He is a hall of fame person, a beloved figure. he did what people like garcia never could do and that is withstand the montana shadow. the man deserves the utmost respect
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Of course it was a number 1 offense. What else are you going to have with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Ricky Watters etc? But mediocre defense? The D was ranked number 3 that year. See stats here http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1992.htm But stats schmatz, when it came to demonstrating his manhood Steve Young fell apart like a house of cards. He was always very good when ahead and the offense was dominating. However, when it came to gut check time, he fizzled. If the game was close, you could bank on him going into hysterics. He had one Joe Montana moment, the wildcard game against Green Bay at the stick. Bono, won when his team was down here and at at KC.

You must have forgot the broken ribs he got in the playoffs against philly? he tried to play, bless his heart with a flak jacket on but could not and i think had to turn it over to elvis? of course we lost. your last statement makes me want to bust out the old cciowa but i will remain calm. He does not deserve that type of disrespect
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Maybe it's a stretch, but I really think Bono was very underrated by many 49er fans and league fans as well. When he took over for Young in '91, I thought he played better/smoother.

Now it's hard to argue against the greatness of Steve Young as a hall of famer.

But here's the interesting thing:

Even if Young was better than Bono.......if Bono is as good as some of us thinks he was, Young could have been put on the trading block instead of Montana. Bono didn't seem to have that immediate need to play like Young did.

After all he did follow Joe to KC.

For all the Kaep talk on here, figured I'd throw out a far more proven dude that never got a starting job.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I respect your guts, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by kidash98:
No. Steve Young added another dimension to the offense with his running ability. He did struggled a little in his first year as a starter in the offense. But once Young got the handle on the offense. There was no one better. He was the League MVP twice I think. Bono was a very good backup and may be a starter for some teams. But ability wise, Young was much better.

This.

once we got better on defense is when we got over the hump.my argument is that we could have gotten better on defense by trading young for derrick thomas. with all of our offensive weapons bono or montana would only have to manage the game!Plus without young, the team would have done a much better job of finding a running back after ricky w left. he was the mvp o f twice but he along with our slow defense, pissed two nfc title games down thier legs untill we got better on defense. i do say young grew up alot in those two years and improved mentally which was a piece of the success we had in 94 but lets not kid ourselves.. after the last dallas nfc title game we lost, they went out and got defense.My point is that we could have improved our defense in 1991 with the trade and could have won more superbowls that what we did

There were several things that Steve had to overcome along with the team at the time. Individually he had to play at the level that convince people that he's equally good with the team as Montana. Tall order. Then on the team side. The Niners had to deal with the emergence of the younger, bigger on offense, faster on defense Cowboys. The defense was on a decline just as Young started to take over the team. So they had reload and rethink the defense to deal with the Cowboys. Otherwise I think Steve and the team at the time would have won at least 1 more SB.

That sorta segue into this team now. You get an offensive guy like Harbaugh and Roman to deal with the offense. Then as a FO, Baalke just keep drafting defensive players to keep it top 10 in the league. They will go a long way with that formula.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
There were several things that Steve had to overcome along with the team at the time. Individually he had to play at the level that convince people that he's equally good with the team as Montana. Tall order. Then on the team side. The Niners had to deal with the emergence of the younger, bigger on offense, faster on defense Cowboys. The defense was on a decline just as Young started to take over the team. So they had reload and rethink the defense to deal with the Cowboys. Otherwise I think Steve and the team at the time would have won at least 1 more SB.

That sorta segue into this team now. You get an offensive guy like Harbaugh and Roman to deal with the offense. Then as a FO, Baalke just keep drafting defensive players to keep it top 10 in the league. They will go a long way with that formula.
good thoughts , Thank you, i always appreciate it when good posters give me something new to think about
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.

Yes that weak ass defense that led the team to a 14-2 record in 1992 only to have Stevie boy choke it away in the NFC Championship.

We won those 14 games mostly because we had the #1 offense in the league. Our defense was mediocre.

Ranked 3rd in points allowed. But that stat alone doesn't tell the whole story. They had the 5th ranked rushing defense and the 26th ranked passing defense. 26th out of 28 teams.

Steve Young won the MVP and offensive player of the year in 92. Give him some credit.....

Young would have repeated in '95 had it not been for the Carolina game. He was injured for that one and Tim McKyer goes endzone dancing off one of two Grbac picks. This game cost us the #1 seed, not the Falcon game at the end of the season. Therefore, we wouldn't have to take on Green Bay because Dallas would have handled them, and since we handled Dallas with Grbac, I don't see them fairing any better in San Francisco
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on May 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
1991 wasn't a good year for Young, He tried to do too much and didn't keep it simple. There trade rumors too....of 49ers trading Young to the Raiders. And then after a subpar first half of the season, Young got hurt. When Bono came in, he kept it simple. He was a right handed thrower like Montana and threw similar well timed and easy to catch passes to the receivers. He stayed in the pocket often (unlike Young who would freelance a lot), and may it easier on the OL to block for him.

However, once Young figured out the right way to play...there wasn't much comparison to what you got from Bono.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
1991 wasn't a good year for Young, He tried to do too much and didn't keep it simple. There trade rumors too....of 49ers trading Young to the Raiders. And then after a subpar first half of the season, Young got hurt. When Bono came in, he kept it simple. He was a right handed thrower like Montana and threw similar well timed and easy to catch passes to the receivers. He stayed in the pocket often (unlike Young who would freelance a lot), and may it easier on the OL to block for him.

However, once Young figured out the right way to play...there wasn't much comparison to what you got from Bono.
I did not hear the raiders rumor,, I just know the young to kc for derrick thomas was the big one and it was closer to reality than many think. do you know who they offered for us?
Anyone who thinks that trade would have made all the difference is living in fantasy land.
Share 49ersWebzone