There are 167 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Hopper:
hopefully Jed comes to his senses and hires a GM/VP First.

I think everyone understands your stance on ownership being incompetent/cheap. No need to repeat it a million times.
Gruden is the guy...Childress would be ideal but he won't take any coaching position other than HC. Kolb cost too much....we have to build from the draft...lets not swing and miss this time....
We need a better front office, first and foremost.....either bring in Gruden and let him run the show or get a top flight GM and a solid HC....It starts at the top....Jed seems to be headed in the right direction, hopefully he makes some cridical front office and leadership postion that elevate our team, otherwise we'll be living through the next Mike Sing experement
Originally posted by global_nomad:
any coach that has won an NFL playoff game as a coach.

I'm tired of hiring 1st time NFL coaches.

amen to that!!!!!!!
Not too shabby just as long as we get a GM so Gruden doesn't trade for 6 QB's . Serious note, each one of those names would change who are as a team for the better. Gruden knows QB's and plays to win (go figure), Mcdaniels calls an aggressive offense and going back to OC, where he belongs, will bring that "dynamic" aspect that we need. Phillips is an aggressive DC and after being a HC and going through the labor and stress of that, I think he will get even better now that he can just focus on Defense only.
lol @ people wating Gruden as head coach and wanting McDaniels/Norv Turner as OC's. They're offensive coaching strategy is all different between the three of them. All I can do is shake my head on this one and give myself the face palm. Now we need to bring Rob Ryan as DC, Leslie Frazier as DL coach, Munasky as LB, coach, and Mike Nolan as DB coach. Lets call up Steve Tasker to be our ST's coach.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(PS... Bring in Peyton Manning in Free Agency as well)
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:13 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
lol @ people wating Gruden as head coach and wanting McDaniels/Norv Turner as OC's. They're offensive coaching strategy is all different between the three of them. All I can do is shake my head on this one and give myself the face palm. Now we need to bring Rob Ryan as DC, Leslie Frazier as DL coach, Munasky as LB, coach, and Mike Nolan as DB coach. Lets call up Steve Tasker to be our ST's coach.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(PS... Bring in Peyton Manning in Free Agency as well)

Can we just give Tasker a roster spot ? He'd be our ST's ace and captain from day 1 and show the young bucks how one truly plays ST's.
what do people think of Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC)? Innovator of the Wildcat, and literally wrote a book about the No-Huddle offense.

That's pretty much all I know about him, though. I know that people really want an experienced HC, and I do too, but Malzahn is actually the kind of guy I hope we interview, even if he doesn't get the job, to at least show that the organization is aware of innovative offensive minds and aware of how badly we need one.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
what do people think of Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC)? Innovator of the Wildcat, and literally wrote a book about the No-Huddle offense.

That's pretty much all I know about him, though. I know that people really want an experienced HC, and I do too, but Malzahn is actually the kind of guy I hope we interview, even if he doesn't get the job, to at least show that the organization is aware of innovative offensive minds and aware of how badly we need one.

I'm all for innovation, but why do we need to reinvent the wheel? The most important quality we need is common sense. I'm tired of coaches who try to fit a square peg in a round hole!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

He is one of the best offensive minds in the college game and has been very successful everywhere he has coached.... He will be a head coach for a college team next year... possibly at Mississippi State when Dan Mullen leaves for Florida. no way would an NFL team hire a college coordinator as a their head coach. If he wants to coach in the NFL i could see him being a QB coach or offensive coordinator.

Quote:

2006, In his first (and only) year at Arkansas Malzahn was named the National Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Rivals.com

2007, Tulsa ranked 1st in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaiʻi, and with a more balanced attack than both teams. The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.

2008, Tulsa was again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game. The Golden Hurricane were ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking 5th in the nation in rushing and 9th in passing.The Tulsa quarterbacks finished 3rd in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.

2009, Under Malzahn, Auburn made significant improvements over the previous season's offensive production; the Tigers finished the season ranked 16th in total offense (2nd in the SEC against all opponents) with just under 432 yards per game and 17th in scoring with over 33 points per game after being tied for 110th in the nation in scoring the previous season. Although he still made significant improvements in his first year, against SEC competition Auburn managed 377.1 total yards a game which placed them 4th in the SEC (behind Alabama, Arkansas, and Ole Miss). His first season broke the Auburn single season total offense record previously set by the undefeated 2004 team. Head coach Gene Chizik had stressed prior to the season that he intended to focus on the run game which showed great improvement as well; the rushing offense finished the season ranked 13th in the nation with 212 yards per game after being ranked 69th prior to the new coaching staff's arrival. Passing numbers also improved under the new offensive scheme, with the passing efficiency ranking ending up 22nd nationally after being ranked 106th in 2008. Senior quarterback Chris Todd set a single-season touchdown record at Auburn and finished the season with a passer rating of 145.73, ranking him 18th in the nation. During the 2009 season, Auburn's offense under Malzahn, produced 120 plays of 15 yards or more, nearly doubling the 62 compiled in 2008.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
UPDATE:

Quote:
According to The Tennessean, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn is “thought to have received” an offer in the neighborhood of $3 million annually to take over the reins of the Commodores. Not only would that number more than double what his predecessor was pulling in, it would also put him inside the top ten of the highest paid coaches in college football — in his first collegiate job at the collegiate level.

Wow...

Originally posted by Jcool:
UPDATE:

Quote:
According to The Tennessean, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn is “thought to have received” an offer in the neighborhood of $3 million annually to take over the reins of the Commodores. Not only would that number more than double what his predecessor was pulling in, it would also put him inside the top ten of the highest paid coaches in college football — in his first collegiate job at the collegiate level.

Wow...

he'll be in the NFL before too long, methinks.
Originally posted by PTulini:

I'm all for innovation, but why do we need to reinvent the wheel? The most important quality we need is common sense. I'm tired of coaches who try to fit a square peg in a round hole!

oh, i agree. but i'd like to see proof that the organization has an idea of what possibilities are out there. I agree with JCool, too, that he wouldn't come in as a HC at first, starting as an OC or something.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
UPDATE:

Quote:

Wow...

what makes you think that?
UPDATE:

Quote:

Wow...

if he's attracting that kind of dough already, which speaks to how highly thought of he is and how valuable, I can't help but think that he'll get a lot of attention at the pro level. Doesn't mean he'll be good in the NFL, but teams are always looking for that hot brilliant candidate. IDK, maybe he'll just stick to NCAA, but I don't see any reason why his offense wouldn't work in the NFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
UPDATE:

Quote:

Wow...

if he's attracting that kind of dough already, which speaks to how highly thought of he is and how valuable, I can't help but think that he'll get a lot of attention at the pro level. Doesn't mean he'll be good in the NFL, but teams are always looking for that hot brilliant candidate. IDK, maybe he'll just stick to NCAA, but I don't see any reason why his offense wouldn't work in the NFL.

I think hes a genius, but he has zero experience in the pros so not sure how well he would translate, it would be a risk.
Share 49ersWebzone