There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

I don't know that Alex Smith needs as much time to master playbooks anymore. Let's not forget that he was able to get a pretty good handle on the Harbaugh/Roman playbook without even having the benefit of an off season with them last year. I'm sure other teams noticed that as well. No, I think he goes and starts for a coach who actually wants a conservative-minded QB who will efficiently run an offense and make the fewest number of mistakes. There's a lot of teams with QB's who are not nearly as accurate as Smith is as well. Again, I'm hoping he goes to Kansas City.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
sucks what happened to him

Nothing "happened to him." He got a concussion, but that certainly is not the reason he lost the starting job. The writing was already on the wall - Kaepernick was Harbaugh's handpicked QB. They moved up to draft him, then they structured Alex's contract so they could release him without taking a hit after the first year. They were waiting for Kaepernick to be ready. The concussion only allowed them to find out that Kaepernick was already good to go. Alex lost his job because Kaepernick is a better QB in the eyes of the coaches and most fans.

So, the only thing that "happened to him" was a better QB came along. Let's stop acting like the concussion is the reason he's riding the bench.

I'm not trying to talk down on Alex, but this is the truth. He has limitations as a QB and will never be the guy that can carry a team or take over a game. He is the epitome of a "game manager" QB - make safe throws, take very few risks and protect the football. That isn't a bad thing when you have an elite defense and top running game.
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Quite possible, especially if the Jets clean house with Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum (sp?). My only concerns would be:

1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

2) Could the Jets get a coach to custom build an offensive playbook Alex could learn to execute ? Alex is a good QB, but in all honesty he needs time to master a playbook. And thats assuming that said playbook tailors to his strengths.

Would be tough to swallow, in my opinion. He's better off going to a place like Jacksonville or Buffalo, where the media/fans have patience and will give him time to develop.

Patience with a 9 years vet? LOL

I kinda agree...Alex doesn't need to develop anymore...he just needs to learn the new playbook and develop chemistry with the new WRs. He should be able to do that decently in one off season..he should have it mastered in 2.

Who ever gets Alex gets a guy who has 9 years of experience with a QB that should be 4 years out of college and a 104 rating. Not a risk taker, but is good enough at reading the defense that he can get away with it.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nothing "happened to him." He got a concussion, but that certainly is not the reason he lost the starting job. The writing was already on the wall - Kaepernick was Harbaugh's handpicked QB. They moved up to draft him, then they structured Alex's contract so they could release him without taking a hit after the first year. They were waiting for Kaepernick to be ready. The concussion only allowed them to find out that Kaepernick was already good to go. Alex lost his job because Kaepernick is a better QB in the eyes of the coaches and most fans.

So, the only thing that "happened to him" was a better QB came along. Let's stop acting like the concussion is the reason he's riding the bench.

I'm not trying to talk down on Alex, but this is the truth. He has limitations as a QB and will never be the guy that can carry a team or take over a game. He is the epitome of a "game manager" QB - make safe throws, take very few risks and protect the football. That isn't a bad thing when you have an elite defense and top running game.

I live in Seattle and all week our sports radio station is talking Niners. I was halfway listening to one of the beat writers and he was claiming the straw the broke the camels back for Alex Smith was his interception in game one against the Hawks. Remember that HORRIBLE throw that was picked off in the endzone. Not sure where this guy got his facts and don't shoot the messenger but thought I'd repeat what I heard.

Guess this play left a very sour taste in Harbaugh's mouth. Twas the beginning of the end for Alex.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I kinda agree...Alex doesn't need to develop anymore...he just needs to learn the new playbook and develop chemistry with the new WRs. He should be able to do that decently in one off season..he should have it mastered in 2.

Who ever gets Alex gets a guy who has 9 years of experience with a QB that should be 4 years out of college and a 104 rating. Not a risk taker, but is good enough at reading the defense that he can get away with it.

I've always said that Alex's biggest weakness (and it's a HUGE weakness) is his inability to remain calm when the pocket breaks down. If you watch closely, he tends to look at the onrusing defenders instead of keeping his eyes peeled downfield. Is this a weakness that can be improved upon? Not sure. I think QB escapability is an innate skill that either you have it or you don't. Alex doesn't.
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Quite possible, especially if the Jets clean house with Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum (sp?). My only concerns would be:

1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

2) Could the Jets get a coach to custom build an offensive playbook Alex could learn to execute ? Alex is a good QB, but in all honesty he needs time to master a playbook. And thats assuming that said playbook tailors to his strengths.

Would be tough to swallow, in my opinion. He's better off going to a place like Jacksonville or Buffalo, where the media/fans have patience and will give him time to develop.

Patience with a 9 years vet? LOL

For the record, I think he will produce just fine. He proved it last year.

When are people going to stop labeling him as a slow learner?
Originally posted by pete98146:

I've always said that Alex's biggest weakness (and it's a HUGE weakness) is his inability to remain calm when the pocket breaks down. If you watch closely, he tends to look at the onrusing defenders instead of keeping his eyes peeled downfield. Is this a weakness that can be improved upon? Not sure. I think QB escapability is an innate skill that either you have it or you don't. Alex doesn't.

If you were developing as a QB and had Kwame and Chilo on your front line, you'd be kinda jumpy too.

You're right that he has a tendency to bolt rather than stay in the pocket...but he does well regardless. He does extremely well with blitz...it is when the defense gets pressure without a blitz that he doesn't do so well.
The only thing that happened to Alex Smith is something that has happened many times in all kinds of sports. Another athlete came in that the coaches thought was better for the team. Smith didn't really lose his job. Colin Kaepernick took his job. It happens. Is it fair? In a way, yes, it's fair. Is it tough for Smith? Absolutely. I feel for him.
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."
Originally posted by jreff22:

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.
Originally posted by susweel:

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

If he denied the injury and played a bad game, he wouldn't have been replaced...that's the Fed up part of it. Other players are looking at that more than anything else. The NFL concussion policy just lost a LOT of weight with the NFL players. they are not going to be coming forward and saying "I'm hurt" unless they are damn sure there is no one else even close in talent on the roster.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

Partial credit goes to Roman...one of his best game plans as well.