LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by susweel:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

Regardless, if he was better than Kaepernick, he wouldn't have been replaced for good.

While he did nothing to lose his job, he didn't do enough to keep it either. If my management skills aren't good enough and somebody can do my job better than me, it's my own fault if I get replaced. That applies even if the other guy displayed his skills when I was out on vacation. While I've obviously been doimg my job, the next guy is gonna take my spot if he can do it even better. See what saying?
I'm kind of tired of hearing the "Alex did nothing to lose his job." That's the glass half full mentality. I was never satisfied and thought the glass needed to be overflowing with all the talent this team has.

Imo, Alex did nothing more to keep his job. He progressed last year, and he should've been explosive this year.

Now CK is showing all of us what this offense has been lacking.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'm kind of tired of hearing the "Alex did nothing to lose his job." That's the glass half full mentality. I was never satisfied and thought the glass needed to be overflowing with all the talent this team has.

Imo, Alex did nothing more to keep his job. He progressed last year, and he should've been explosive this year.

Our WR's are actually good. They have always been.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Our WR's are actually good. They have always been.

Yea like you said the consensus on Crabtree was that he's a #2 or #3 WR. Then all of a sudden he's playing like a #1. Even Kanye Walker is a legit target now, when previously everyone was thinking he's been the biggest disappointment this season.
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He is nowhere near a Vinny Testaverde. The year old Vinnie busted his Achilles with the Jets, their season was over. Alex doesn't have that type of impact. Vinnie's stats were also way over Alex's head.

I do agree, on the right team with talented personnel, he can help that team get wins but he won't help that team get scary good. The team will still be looking for a replacement that can handle the man coverage that will be thrown their way game in and game out resulting in close victories or losses with no explosive passing game.

The receivers will be required to work harder with unimpressive results which will turn into looking for another QB.

We were 13-3 and we still looked for a replacement for him.

Really your going to talk up Vinny Testaverde? And you actually think he is better then Alex Smith.... By the way Jets finished 8-8 that year with Ray Lucas going 6-3 as the starter with 14 TD's and 6 INT's... So that kind of kills your argument.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

If he denied the injury and played a bad game, he wouldn't have been replaced...that's the Fed up part of it. Other players are looking at that more than anything else. The NFL concussion policy just lost a LOT of weight with the NFL players. they are not going to be coming forward and saying "I'm hurt" unless they are damn sure there is no one else even close in talent on the roster.

the lawyers for players suing the nfl will be sure to bring this up, and it will cost the league money
Alex Smith thread here. Quit talking about Kaep. Obviously Harbaugh believes Kaep is better right now in terms of winning, so arguing this point is well...pointless.

No need to come in here arguing about something that is already settled. We stated if you continue to do it, it will result in warnings or bans.
Originally posted by Jcool:
He is nowhere near a Vinny Testaverde. The year old Vinnie busted his Achilles with the Jets, their season was over. Alex doesn't have that type of impact. Vinnie's stats were also way over Alex's head.

I do agree, on the right team with talented personnel, he can help that team get wins but he won't help that team get scary good. The team will still be looking for a replacement that can handle the man coverage that will be thrown their way game in and game out resulting in close victories or losses with no explosive passing game.

The receivers will be required to work harder with unimpressive results which will turn into looking for another QB.

We were 13-3 and we still looked for a replacement for him.

Really your going to talk up Vinny Testaverde? And you actually think he is better then Alex Smith.... By the way Jets finished 8-8 that year with Ray Lucas going 6-3 as the starter with 14 TD's and 6 INT's... So that kind of kills your argument.

You mean the team that went 12-1 the year before with a healthy Vinnie? What about the year Shaun Hill helped us get 8-8.

8-8 is not good when there's talent on the team.

the #s dont support this---guess we have to rely on joe's eye test
You know i dont have any idea where he'd land. My bet I would say would be maybe KC or Arizona. But it's honestly hard to say where a player will go because dont get me wrong, i backed Alex 150% as our starter, but just hate that he was soo close to helping our team make it to the championship game, and now he may be watching a SB run from the bench.

All jokes aside, this is the biggest thing for me.

I'm hoping that we make it to the SB with Kaep, but i have to say If we dont, i will resent Harb's a little bit, while definitely still rolling with whatever decisions he makes. Not on the basis, of who it is, but the basis of how, and why?

Justin Smith said it perfectly this year, "We need to win it this year, there may be no tomorrow for some of us, and we may not always be able to play at the same level year in and out, it's just the nature of the business." He said that quote about a year ago, and I feel the same way that he does. In my mind, you only have very few chances, sometimes that is, to get back to the big game. With the Hawks playing better, s**t even the sorry rams too getting better, our window of division dominance may falter a bit.

Inside I feel a little like the Eagles did, when Mcnabb got the big game, they lost it, only to never get that far again. In no way am i saying, that if we dont make it this year, we wont get back. But being how we were on the cusp last year with Smith at the helm. Where on our way to keep that momentum, at 6-2, then the book was closed on him. It's the nature of the business probably, but I'll say this, inside i feel at times, u do someone too wrong, and it will come back to bite you, regardless if it's what u feel is best. Just becasue u feel some decisions are best, doesnt always mean they are.

I think Smith will win a SB one day, even if not with us. And thats because at least we all can agree. There's probably only a handful, if that many QB's that have gone thru what Smith has in his career, and made it to being a top 5 QB.

Im not gonna say I agree with Rodgers and say that he needs to go somewhere where he's appreciated. I'll just say he does need to go somewhere, where there is no smoke screen mentality. I hear that it's just the nature of the beast, but there have recently been at least from 3-5 QB's in the top 15 that have gotten injured, while the backup came in, and even won a game or two. But only with us, did the starter lose his job.

Anywhooooooo!!! Go NIners!

When reporters asked Alex "what do you think you did to lose the job?" his response was "I felt like all I did was get a concussion." <-- That tells me that Alex has become complacent and satisfied with efficient play, and prides himself as a "QB who doesn't turn the ball over", while the rest of the upper echelon QB's pride themselves individually with TDs and yardage. How it really should be!

He really needs to quit this mentality if he wants to be successful and take his game to the next level. I wish him the best wherever he goes, but he needs to use this experience and acknowledge that he needs to do more as QB because with the position comes great responsibility.

No job is guaranteed in the NFL, no matter which team he goes to, he'll still have to prove himself.
Originally posted by hofer36:

You can rely on Jim's eye test. Jim Harbaugh.

Now quit debating Kaep in here. Its already settled.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
You mean the team that went 12-1 the year before with a healthy Vinnie? What about the year Shaun Hill helped us get 8-8.

8-8 is not good when there's talent on the team.

2000 NY Jets (Vinny starting 16 games): 9-7 so obviously is wasn't really all that talented
Anyone else think Alex Smith ends up in Baltimore? Joe Flacco wants $18m/year.
Originally posted by hofer36:

There are #s that support it.

He threw 3 INTs to a Giants defense he should've been well familiar with. Then he continues his slide and throws another pick in the endzone the following week to the Seahawks where Moss was wiiiiide open to the point Gore was screaming pointing at him.

The decision is based no so much on what statistics can explain, but more of what intangibles can display.
Share 49ersWebzone