There are 274 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • THEB
  • Veteran
I'll be rooting for alex wherever he lands, unless they happen to play the 49ers that week, then i want the pain train ran over him multiple times.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
When you put it that way, I agree. I always wanted Montana to do well, to play well, to avoid injury, etc., but I was always rooting for the Niners to win. When he let KC to a win over the Niners, I was not happy with the result.

Agree. If Smith comes back with another team I will want him to throw for a thousand yards...in a loss. LOL!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When you put it that way, I agree. I always wanted Montana to do well, to play well, to avoid injury, etc., but I was always rooting for the Niners to win. When he let KC to a win over the Niners, I was not happy with the result.

Agree. If Smith comes back with another team I will want him to throw for a thousand yards...in a loss. LOL!

Why, what good does that do ?

As a TRUE NINER fan you should want him to throw 5 ints so the WIN for the niners is easier.
Originally posted by susweel:

As a TRUE NINER fan you should want him to throw 5 ints so the WIN for the niners is easier.

Yeah...that would show him! Take that! Bury the past Sus and get over it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

get over what ? all Im saying is if he played the niners I would not want him to have a good game against us.
I agree, I would cheer for him cause he's a great guy and was a 9er through and through more than any of us will ever be. I can't hate him or wish him wrong dough for that. If I want to cheer for him even against us doesn't mean we're not fans, because we would be cheering for him not his team.

get over what ? all Im saying is if he played the niners I would not want him to have a good game against us.

OK, but you made it an issue...my opinion is quite different which is allowable by the universal rules of human nature.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113702/article/alex-smith-of-49ers-still-can-win-passer-rating-title

How cool would it be to have Alex, despite being the #2 the remainder of this season, win the QB Rating title and break Brees' NFL record?

Wonder if Harbaugh will give him a shot against AZ once we're up 31-0 at half-time.

If it will trigger any of his incentives, I wonder if Baalke would object.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He guna be a Jet

Quite possible, especially if the Jets clean house with Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum (sp?). My only concerns would be:

1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

2) Could the Jets get a coach to custom build an offensive playbook Alex could learn to execute ? Alex is a good QB, but in all honesty he needs time to master a playbook. And thats assuming that said playbook tailors to his strengths.

Would be tough to swallow, in my opinion. He's better off going to a place like Jacksonville or Buffalo, where the media/fans have patience and will give him time to develop.

He has been in the league 8 years. How much time does it take to develop?
Originally posted by THEB:
I'll be rooting for alex wherever he lands, unless they happen to play the 49ers that week, then i want the pain train ran over him multiple times.

no you wouldn't ... neither would I actually...I'd prefer that he'd slide. It wouldn't look right if Dashon destroyed Alex in the open field.

I don't think there is going to be any kind of bidding war, but there are definitely three or four teams that will take a long look at him. You can't tell me that Kansas City wouldn't kill to have him starting instead of what they've got; same with the Cardinals, the Bills, the Jets. Hell, the Vikings would be a lot better off with him under center than Ponder. Ponder had one good game against the Niners but most of the time, he's really stunk up the place.
Well, if he goes to a system like Baltimore, Minnesota, Jets, be prepared to face one of the best teams in the league, every year. With running games like those, he's going to start putting up some amazing numbers. Being able to utilize a guy like Ray Rice to set D's up for play action and take dump offs... Shonn Green, AP... Gonna be nasty. If he goes to a place like AZ, SD, wherever Norv or Roman go, he's going to spread the ball around and have playmakers like Gates, Fitz... Kurt Warner part 2.

He's right at that cusp of being elite. Brady had similar numbers in a similar system for the first few years of his career. I just hope he can get past all the crap he's been through here and realize his potential.

Go Niners!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by THEB:

no you wouldn't ... neither would I actually...I'd prefer that he'd slide. It wouldn't look right if Dashon destroyed Alex in the open field.

I think alex has learned his lesson about not sliding early.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Quite possible, especially if the Jets clean house with Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum (sp?). My only concerns would be:

1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

2) Could the Jets get a coach to custom build an offensive playbook Alex could learn to execute ? Alex is a good QB, but in all honesty he needs time to master a playbook. And thats assuming that said playbook tailors to his strengths.

Would be tough to swallow, in my opinion. He's better off going to a place like Jacksonville or Buffalo, where the media/fans have patience and will give him time to develop.

Patience with a 9 years vet? LOL
I don't know that Alex Smith needs as much time to master playbooks anymore. Let's not forget that he was able to get a pretty good handle on the Harbaugh/Roman playbook without even having the benefit of an off season with them last year. I'm sure other teams noticed that as well. No, I think he goes and starts for a coach who actually wants a conservative-minded QB who will efficiently run an offense and make the fewest number of mistakes. There's a lot of teams with QB's who are not nearly as accurate as Smith is as well. Again, I'm hoping he goes to Kansas City.
Share 49ersWebzone