There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

With Ginn back for punt returns I didn't worry about fumbles--the first time in years that has been the case for the 9ers. Many are undervaluing the role of KR. And Ginn was also a big part of the field position game Harbaugh played last year. With a better offense this year will he be willing to give up that advantage? Doubt it!
No, Ginn is nearly a lock, I think.

We also have to consider... well, the ugly. The ugly is when we have to consider that not all of our WRs are likely to make it out of August healthy. I know... I know... knock on wood... we want all to be healthy. It's hard to expect it though... so all of this "will he? won't he?" talk may just be answered in the span of 5 seconds of a play. What we do have though, is good depth to endure with an injury or maybe two. Amen to that, at least.

( I'd still be very surprised if we carry less than 6 wideouts... injuries pending )
at 1.2 million , that is a bargain to have one of the games best return men on the roster .....he will be our primary KR/PR and will see some action in multiple wideout sets
Yes, and another reason for keeping Ginn is that some of the young guys could pass waivers but Ginn would not. So if Palmer or Owusu look good as KRers they can be hidden.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
at 1.2 million , that is a bargain to have one of the games best return men on the roster .....he will be our primary KR/PR and will see some action in multiple wideout sets

... but at 1.2 mil, clearly we don't value him much at all. How good a returner is he really at 1.2 mil?

Devin Hester signed a four-year, $40.975 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed. That must meanz that he iz 10 x teh greater at returnings than Teddy!

STs is a 3rd of the game. Must mean we don't thinks much of Teddy.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
With Ginn back for punt returns I didn't worry about fumbles--the first time in years that has been the case for the 9ers. Many are undervaluing the role of KR. And Ginn was also a big part of the field position game Harbaugh played last year. With a better offense this year will he be willing to give up that advantage? Doubt it!

This. It was not so long ago that all I prayed for was the returner to either catch the ball cleanly and not fumble it, or run away and let the ball fall where it may to avoid the issue altogether.

Any yards gained on a return were simply a bonus in those days.

I don't like to think about those times and certainly don't want to revert back to them.

That said, KEEP Tanqueray Teddy!
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
This. It was not so long ago that all I prayed for was the returner to either catch the ball cleanly and not fumble it, or run away and let the ball fall where it may to avoid the issue altogether.

Any yards gained on a return were simply a bonus in those days.

I don't like to think about those times and certainly don't want to revert back to them.

That said, KEEP Tanqueray Teddy!

My feelings exactly during those days! I often hoped the 9ers would not even have a returner back for punts...just send eleven guys for the block! LOL!
Keep Ginn, he's another deep threat. Not only is he a great returner, but he also adds great speed to the offense. Moss, Jenkins, davis and Ginn, those are some fast players to defend against.
Im less concerned about the WR's as I am about the RB's. Do we really have room for Gore, LMJ, Hunter AND Jacobs??
Teddy got this thing where he starts weaving around after catching a punt looking for a lane that really pisses me off. It gets you thinking he might take a hit and cough up the ball for doing that. He's not as quick after the catch -- get it and go -- like some other guys. But man... once he finds that lane, it's beautiful to see him turn that corner with so much ease in speed. He's one of the best returner we have had in a while. I can't remember who else was pretty good. Maybe John Taylor...
Hunter and LMJ seem to be our future. Gore and Jacobs are for right now, maybe jacobs can play a fullback role.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

it really isn't about his salary at this point, $1.2 mil just means that it's a small loss on the cap hit. it's more about whether or not the team wants to save the roster spot for depth at another position.

Ginn's hands.................................

Personally, i wanna see what LaMike can do....... (starting '13)
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM ]
Ginn flying off Revis island
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Kyle Williams won't be seeing anymore returns. We have depth at returners now. We don't need him to return kicks.

sorry to burst your bubble but he has already been practicing his returns in the otas. the past is the past, he has worked hard and deserves a chance to return kicks and punts this year, got no problem with it
on all returns you can see that KW is EXPLOSIVE hes i said it

he is very fast and very quick and now he apparently got bigger

did he make a huge mistake ... yes

but the fact s it was a mental errror he made in his first full year football season when he was asked for first time to do PR (in games)

all his mistakes were mental but he is fast and explosive

cut out menatal error we have a capable returner who plays WR