LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
This is a slow time for NFL rumors but one of the more interesting rumors out there surrounds Ted Ginn, Jr. and the San Francisco 49ers. Last season, the 49ers receiver corps was a weakness but this year it might just be a strength. Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and A.J. Jenkins will join Michael Crabtree, Ted Ginn, Jr., and Kyle Williams to form a very respectable receiver corps for quarterback Alex Smith. However, with so much depth at the position Ginn might find himself to be the odd man out.

Ginn suffered a knee injury that kept him out of the NFC Championship game against the New York Giants. Kyle Williams filled in and the rest, as they say, is history. However, Williams has been working at returning kicks this offseason and cornerback Perrish Cox is also a very good return man. Though, nobody on the 49ers roster has the big play ability that Ginn has in the return game. The question is, do the 49ers want to keep a fifth or sixth receiver on their roster making $1.2 million?

Ginn had a lot of potential coming out of Ohio State. However, his inability to become a factor in the passing game has kept him from becoming one of the more dynamic receivers in the game. His route running has been terrible and he has been plagued by an inability to hold onto the football when it is thrown his way. Although, he has improved slightly in the latter category he still has a lot of trouble tracking the ball and running crisp routes. That doesn't speak well for someone who is going on his sixth year in the league.

Link...
He'll make the team
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
He'll make the team

Do you think Kyle Williams will take over punts by opening day?
Originally posted by VDSF:
He'll make the team

no
Originally posted by VDSF:
He'll make the team

no

But in all fairness, if KW can do the job and is good at it, who am I to say he shouldn't. Hopefully KW can make a significant rebound and be a quality WR / KR.
This 2012 season is the best (or close to) opportunity for ring # 6, so I just can't see us sacrificing such a reliable and proven return weapon all for the sake of a WR with higher upside later (KW). Feels like a big mistake, if we were to cut Ginn loose right now... but guess we'll see...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
This 2012 season is the best (or close to) opportunity for ring # 6, so I just can't see us sacrificing such a reliable and proven return weapon all for the sake of a WR with higher upside later (KW). Feels like a big mistake, if we were to cut Ginn loose right now... but guess we'll see...

I agree. I think we may end up keeping 6 WRs because they are all part of the best 53. Maybe we go lean on LB/S position again. Right now, the only guy on the WR corp that I think may get cut are:

Mario Manningham and Ted Ginn Jr.

But I think both guys will make the roster.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I agree. I think we may end up keeping 6 WRs because they are all part of the best 53. Maybe we go lean on LB/S position again. Right now, the only guy on the WR corp that I think may get cut are:

Mario Manningham and Ted Ginn Jr.

But I think both guys will make the roster.

Yeah, would be very surprised if Manningham doesn't make it. 6 wideouts and going lean at another position for the season seems the right approach to me. We could probably go with 8 OL with a couple more on the PS developing. Or like you stated, 3 rush LBs with a 4th one (Cam) on the PS and the 5th rounder on I.R.
logic of article is questionale--they say it may make sense to hold onto ginn in case moss fails...i dont see ginn as the option at receiver if moss fails
If Ted Ginn doesn't get hurt the team is in the Super Bowl last year.. I know he offers next to nothing at WR but he is a game changer returning kicks (see Sea week 1). I would keep 6 WR's (Crabs, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn, Williams). I HATE Kyle Williams but he does have upside at wide out. They should ask him to leave the stadium during punt returns though.

Not good for him to missed the OTAs if he wanted to compete for WR position due to his injury. He still has TC. I don't think he'll be cut, but he's behind in his quest to improve as a WR on the team. I like Ginn to have that chance.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He'll make the team

this

and a*****e Kyle Williams will be cut.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not good for him to missed the OTAs if he wanted to compete for WR position due to his injury. He still has TC. I don't think he'll be cut, but he's behind in his quest to improve as a WR on the team. I like Ginn to have that chance.

I agree, but could be that SF basically told him that he will not be used much as a WR. Ginn signed with us after probably getting the same words from the other teams.. so he may be 90% healthy and figured he may as well just rest up and be ready for TC work.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
this

Let us be logical. Players are cut at this point in time due to thier work they do or do not do in the off season, otas, training camp etc. What has kyle williams done or not done to make you think he will be cut. If the season started tomorrow, the kid we drafted would be cut based upon off season work and how they have done so far in otas but we all know that will not happen. You have read the stories and have heard how much kyle has worked in the off season and is probably third or at the very least 4th on the depth chart. he has done nothing to warrant being cut and you all know it. we know why some want him cut but that is just wishfull thinking about something that is long in the past and is not a contributing factor right now as we move forward. so tell me, what has he done to warrant being cut right now? the answer is nothing and you all know it.... Now back to ginn, unless they have someone they know can return punts and kicks he stays but if someone like kyle or cox or one of the kids we drafted shows they can do the job to the coaches in camp and pre season and if the kid we picked at number one gets better,, than ginn could be gone
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
this

Let us be logical. Players are cut at this point in time due to thier work they do or do not do in the off season, otas, training camp etc. What has kyle williams done or not done to make you think he will be cut. If the season started tomorrow, the kid we drafted would be cut based upon off season work and how they have done so far in otas but we all know that will not happen. You have read the stories and have heard how much kyle has worked in the off season and is probably third or at the very least 4th on the depth chart. he has done nothing to warrant being cut and you all know it. we know why some want him cut but that is just wishfull thinking about something that is long in the past and is not a contributing factor right now as we move forward. so tell me, what has he done to warrant being cut right now? the answer is nothing and you all know it.... Now back to ginn, unless they have someone they know can return punts and kicks he stays but if someone like kyle or cox or one of the kids we drafted shows they can do the job to the coaches in camp and pre season and if the kid we picked at number one gets better,, than ginn could be gone

He wont be cut today, he will probably be cut in final cuts after training camp. Mainly because the numbers at his position and the fact he is huge liability in the return game.
Share 49ersWebzone