LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I would cut Williams... WR's like Williams are a dime a dozen. Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Jenkins are all capable of putting up his numbers. Yet Ginn is the clear cut #1 return man and lets not forget how crucial that position is after having guys like Battle, Hicks and Brandon Williams returning kicks.
he has done nothing to warrant a cut yet. many think ginn has a job locked up because he can do one thing very well. i am not so sure he does have a his job safe and secure. i think he will be on the team and i think his job is safe but with this coach nothing is set in stone,, not to mention ginns knee
I don't care if it's a rumor or not. I've maintained from the start that Ginn may not make the final 53. If Moss make the cut I seriously doubt that Ginn makes it.
i hope he makes the team. can you imagine kyle being in this year's play off and kyle's returning kicks.
Originally posted by BobS:
Before they even think of cutting Ginn they need to watch film of Arnaz Battle returning punts.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by BobS:
Before they even think of cutting Ginn they need to watch film of Arnaz Battle returning punts.

some poster said he was stellar wow did we have low expectations back then , so long ago
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by britt1028:
i hope he makes the team. can you imagine kyle being in this year's play off and kyle's returning kicks.

He had one bad game. That's it. It may have been an important one, but it was still just one bad game. Plus, if ginn hadn't been on the team KW would have had way more practice returning punts and therefore might not have made the mistakes that he made.

It seemed like it was mostly just inexperience that lead to the mistakes. So do you cut a young player over one game or do you give him a chance to shine? What did we do with Alex?

Kyle is a better receiver than ginn, period. Then figure in that Jenkins and James are both fast enough to be returners, and I see no reason we should have one person whose role is simply returning. Of course ginn could have a better camp and preseason, but with Kyle having a fire lit under his ass after that bad end to the postseason I don't see it being easy for Ginn.
Ginn is the best return man the Niners have had since...........I can't think of any. He's sure handed with punts and he's one of the few players that when he catches a punt you hold your breath. If he was healthy for the Championship game last year there are no fumbles and you can be sure we would've had more than three yards receiving from our wide outs. Keep him.
He brings more to the table than KW
Keep Ginn.
If only he didn't have bricks for hands!!!!

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Keep Ginn.

+1
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If only he didn't have bricks for hands!!!!

His hands aren't that bad. He drops easy catches but he can make tough ones. And plus, I think in a more wide open offense where he is not the 2nd receiver on the field but more like the 4th, he could make plays.
Tedd Ginn took a pay cut because he's so valuable to us. He doesn't care about money and was probably sought after by most teams. No way we cut this guy.
The last paragraph of the article was the only one not quoted:

"Then again, it makes sense for the 49ers to hold onto Ginn just in case Randy Moss doesn't have much left in the tank after a year away from football or if A.J. Jenkins has trouble picking up the new offense. If the other receivers in camp make strides and Williams and Cox show they handle kicks then Ginn might be looking for a new team in August. As the summer winds down the NFL rumors surrounding Ted Ginn, Jr. might start to pick up."

I see this as the most important paragraph as it lays out the possibilities very clearly. Ginn will be on the team unless a couple of players really excel at returning kicks during TC (unless his injury is a continuing problem).
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The last paragraph of the article was the only one not quoted:

"Then again, it makes sense for the 49ers to hold onto Ginn just in case Randy Moss doesn't have much left in the tank after a year away from football or if A.J. Jenkins has trouble picking up the new offense. If the other receivers in camp make strides and Williams and Cox show they handle kicks then Ginn might be looking for a new team in August. As the summer winds down the NFL rumors surrounding Ted Ginn, Jr. might start to pick up."

I see this as the most important paragraph as it lays out the possibilities very clearly. Ginn will be on the team unless a couple of players really excel at returning kicks during TC (unless his injury is a continuing problem).

Well obviously it's going to be a late august decision, final cuts. I think it's the overall package they'll look at though, if one of KW, James, Jenkins or Cox look even close to ginn on returning duty his chances go down because of his well known stone hands.

I wonder if the competition isn't ginn/kw but ginn/cox. Since we definitely won't have two receivers whose only purpose is ST. We'll definitely keep a lot of WRs this year, no idea exactly how many though.
Share 49ersWebzone