LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike:
Well obviously it's going to be a late august decision, final cuts. I think it's the overall package they'll look at though, if one of KW, James, Jenkins or Cox look even close to ginn on returning duty his chances go down because of his well known stone hands.

I wonder if the competition isn't ginn/kw but ginn/cox. Since we definitely won't have two receivers whose only purpose is ST. We'll definitely keep a lot of WRs this year, no idea exactly how many though.

I believe they will try to keep at least two very good return guys and will not cut Ginn unless they are comfortable with those alternatives. Not sure about Cox but KW really looked bad as a return guy. It's not just that he fumbled, kicked and dived...but he also carried the ball out away from his body while running in heavy traffic. Just really basic stuff for a ball carrier. As for Ginn's stone hands...I think his tracking of the ball is the worse problem with him...but at any rate, he is the KR and KW is the receiver. If Cox and James showed well then there may be a competition.
Originally posted by britt1028:
i hope he makes the team. can you imagine kyle being in this year's play off and kyle's returning kicks.

He had one bad game. That's it. It may have been an important one, but it was still just one bad game. Plus, if ginn hadn't been on the team KW would have had way more practice returning punts and therefore might not have made the mistakes that he made.

It seemed like it was mostly just inexperience that lead to the mistakes. So do you cut a young player over one game or do you give him a chance to shine? What did we do with Alex?

Kyle is a better receiver than ginn, period. Then figure in that Jenkins and James are both fast enough to be returners, and I see no reason we should have one person whose role is simply returning. Of course ginn could have a better camp and preseason, but with Kyle having a fire lit under his ass after that bad end to the postseason I don't see it being easy for Ginn.

Also, Kyle Williams is a good punt returner. That's why he was Ginn's backup. He had a very nice return in the NFCC that should have set our offense up for a score. If our offense was not so inept at the end of that game, we would have forgotten about his mistakes already.

If Harbaugh has read "The Art of War", then I think the coolest thing in the world would be for him to make Kyle Williams the starting punt return man. Put it right back on him. Williams is as motivated as a ravenous lion right now and Harbaugh knows it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM ]
Can you extract carelessness and bad decision making at critical moments for a players football DNA?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Can you extract carelessness and bad decision making at critical moments from a players football DNA?

Well, Harbaugh did it with Alex Smith. So why not Williams?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The last paragraph of the article was the only one not quoted:

"Then again, it makes sense for the 49ers to hold onto Ginn just in case Randy Moss doesn't have much left in the tank after a year away from football or if A.J. Jenkins has trouble picking up the new offense. If the other receivers in camp make strides and Williams and Cox show they handle kicks then Ginn might be looking for a new team in August. As the summer winds down the NFL rumors surrounding Ted Ginn, Jr. might start to pick up."

I see this as the most important paragraph as it lays out the possibilities very clearly. Ginn will be on the team unless a couple of players really excel at returning kicks during TC (unless his injury is a continuing problem).

Well obviously it's going to be a late august decision, final cuts. I think it's the overall package they'll look at though, if one of KW, James, Jenkins or Cox look even close to ginn on returning duty his chances go down because of his well known stone hands.

I wonder if the competition isn't ginn/kw but ginn/cox. Since we definitely won't have two receivers whose only purpose is ST. We'll definitely keep a lot of WRs this year, no idea exactly how many though.

I don't think any fan could stomach KW on ST ever again. I don't want to have to say, "hold the ball-hold the ball-hold the ball" on every return. If I was betting I would say Cox is #2 on duties.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Can you extract carelessness and bad decision making at critical moments from a players football DNA?

Well, Harbaugh did it with Alex Smith. So why not Williams?

Red n gold shade are on now.

Just right now
Didn't watch the NFC Championship huh?.....
Ginn needs to make the team. Dude is the stud in STs. Sure we have other players that can take returns but they ant no stud like Ginn. Like VD on offence and Willis on defence, we need Ginn on STs.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Ginn needs to make the team. Dude is the stud in STs. Sure we have other players that can take returns but they ant no stud like Ginn. Like VD on offence and Willis on defence, we need Ginn on STs.

He's especially huge to this team. Our offense is marginal. So special teams and special teams field position is huge to us. That and defense is our success formula.
Ginn is potential TD every time he touches the ball as KR. Not so with any of WR's, except Moss. I don't think that's a weapon that is so easily discarded. I say he'll stay.

Injuries are going to determine this. If he's healthy we have a spot for him. If not then oh well. We shall see. He'll probably be healthy for camp. He's not gonig to win a roster spot as a reciever so he probably isn't sweating missing a bunch of reps with smith the last few weeks.
we will keep 6 WR especially after what happened last year
HUGE HUGE mistake if we cut Ginn. I dont trust Kyle Williams returning any type of kick
Ginn, with all hie return prowess, has some serious variables working against him making this team:

- depth at WR; Crabs, A.J., Manningham, Moss, Williams, even Nathan Palmer & Chris Owusu, all true WR's with much better WR skills than Ginn.
- new depth at KR/PR; if Cox, James, Owusu, and Palmer prove to be at least adequate in the return game Gin is out.
- Ginn's one dimensional nature
- Ginn's inability to stay healthy, to be "available"

Again, if either Moss, Owusu, or Palmer make the team I cannot see Ginn making it. Ginn gives us a huge home-run in potential in the return game. But if Cox or James, or one of the rookies, prove adequate - that they can at least give this offense a shorter field (i.e ability to at least put the ball at the 35-45 yardline) - there's no way Ginn makes it. With the weapons we have now a short field will be the death of opponents. That's why I've been saying that Ginn probably won't make this team.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
HUGE HUGE mistake if we cut Ginn. I dont trust Kyle Williams returning any type of kick
Kyle Williams won't be seeing anymore returns. We have depth at returners now. We don't need him to return kicks.
Share 49ersWebzone