LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 5)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Bruce should have retired

Bruce has dropped a lot of passes this year. He never used to drop any. I agree, he has played 1 to many seasons.

I agree that this is not the Isaac Bruce we saw last year, who was money
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Bruce has dropped a lot of passes this year. He never used to drop any. I agree, he has played 1 to many seasons.

On the same note, this wasn't the Hill we are used to seeing.
Originally posted by Mex49:

Everyone loved Singletary last year when he pulled the trigger on under preforming players, does he have the sack to bench another HOF.

When and if Crabtree gets up to speed, I bet he does.
Originally posted by Mex49:

Everyone loved Singletary last year when he pulled the trigger on under preforming players, does he have the sack to bench another HOF.

Well if he really was the second coming of Walsh as so many in here think he would not have brought Bruce back in the first place. Walsh had no problem getting rid of people even if they had a decent year left in them. If I were Sing when it comes time to make that roster spot for Crabtree it would be Bruce that went.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

On the same note, this wasn't the Hill we are used to seeing.

I for one have not been a supporter of Hill. He cannot throw the ball worth a crap but has gotten by with all the dump off crap. Hell just look at him he doesn't even pass the eye test, looks like some dude they dragged out of Duncan Donuts. He really doesn't look athletic at all. Most of is pass look like dead ducks and are so very looping no way he can throw a frozen rope. News flash he did not play in the past for a reason.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I was at the game today, on the field and the main reason our offense has such trouble is really 3 fold.

-Shaun Hill's arm strength, I said this back when we first named him starter, he is a decent manager but it is so much easier for a DC to gameplan for us bc there are so many throws that Hill can not make at the NFL level u can basically cut ur coverage down to nothing and bring the house. You know Hill is not going to beat you on a deep out, any post corner's or any flags. It also allows you to play press bc u don't HAVE to respect the deep pass. Hill's lack of arm strength is handcuffing our OC even more than needed atm.

The 2nd problem is our Interior Line, many here love Baas and Chilo, I think Chilo will get there but right now he is having a lot of trouble reading techniques of the snap which lead him to be out of position. Baas just has no explosion at all and gets beat like a little kid on most snaps. We need our O-line to step up.

Two other throws that he cannot complete are Hitch and Go(no arm and no pump fake) as well as a simple 15 yard button hook(no timing). How can an Offense run without ANY of these throws is completely mind boggling. But people seem to like it.

Since you were at the game, lemme ax you. What is your take on the length of time it took for Hill to get the ball out? Did it seem quick or did you have time to go out and take a smoke break in between the snap and the delivery?

~Ceadder

I wouldn't say that the delivery is necessarily slow as much as he is simply just misreading the coverage pretty badly, he seems to be "diagnosing" the cover quickly but he is wrong I would day about 60%(that's just a number I am throwing out there, from what I saw). He is missing a ton of open guys and even worse he is missing them to throw into very tight coverage. Right now we also need to work on disguising our plays bc on the sideline today it took me all of 5 mins before I was calling the plays before they happen, we tip our plays with certain motions, we need to stop that.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
The offensive line is this team's real problem. I only see 2 guys on the line who are worth it, Staley and Heitmann.

Any fan who actually knows about football should realize this.

it wasn't a bad playcall when Raye called for a nice passing play on 4th down was it?
It would be nice if we could run a simple screen play for once. This has been hurting us for a really long time now.
I was at the game today, on the field and the main reason our offense has such trouble is really 3 fold.

-Shaun Hill's arm strength, I said this back when we first named him starter, he is a decent manager but it is so much easier for a DC to gameplan for us bc there are so many throws that Hill can not make at the NFL level u can basically cut ur coverage down to nothing and bring the house. You know Hill is not going to beat you on a deep out, any post corner's or any flags. It also allows you to play press bc u don't HAVE to respect the deep pass. Hill's lack of arm strength is handcuffing our OC even more than needed atm.

The 2nd problem is our Interior Line, many here love Baas and Chilo, I think Chilo will get there but right now he is having a lot of trouble reading techniques of the snap which lead him to be out of position. Baas just has no explosion at all and gets beat like a little kid on most snaps. We need our O-line to step up.

Two other throws that he cannot complete are Hitch and Go(no arm and no pump fake) as well as a simple 15 yard button hook(no timing). How can an Offense run without ANY of these throws is completely mind boggling. But people seem to like it.

Since you were at the game, lemme ax you. What is your take on the length of time it took for Hill to get the ball out? Did it seem quick or did you have time to go out and take a smoke break in between the snap and the delivery?

~Ceadder

I wouldn't say that the delivery is necessarily slow as much as he is simply just misreading the coverage pretty badly, he seems to be "diagnosing" the cover quickly but he is wrong I would day about 60%(that's just a number I am throwing out there, from what I saw). He is missing a ton of open guys and even worse he is missing them to throw into very tight coverage. Right now we also need to work on disguising our plays bc on the sideline today it took me all of 5 mins before I was calling the plays before they happen, we tip our plays with certain motions, we need to stop that.

• NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
This is the kind of thing I do not think our coaches can account for, we do not (or at least have not yet shown the ability to so).

"Atlanta also had wrinkles. They came into the game as the a three-deep cover team, and came out as a blitzing man-to-man defense, which eliminated the 49ers screen game among other things. They also showed plenty of different fronts they hadn't used since last year. "

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=49354#ixzz0TgdVAhMa

So far we have played hard and with heart (well, until today) but our coaching leaves a lot to be desired and I fear will lead to more games like this. I know this is one game, but we have a schedule full of tough and well coached teams ahead of us and I have little faith in our coaches. Speeches only go so far.

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
The whole offense sucked/sucks
If I've said this once I've said it a hundred times here.

Raye's playcalling is NOT the problem. He has to use what he's given and he HAS done this. He's used Davis and Walker and Martz hardly if EVER included them in his Offense. He runs the ball with Gore. Something that Martz didn't do very much of either.

The Receivers. If they could count on seeing the ball consistently deeper than 10-15 yards, I think they would start catching the ball more.

The OLine is it great? No. But they did get the job done over the previous 4 weeks. Only against the Rams and now the Falcons have they not been consistent.

There is a reason for the above issues NOT working properly.

Raye has to call Passing plays that are extremely limited. He can't open up the playbook because the guy under Center doesn't have a consistent arm.

The OLine has to protect him longer(still don't understand the 3 second drills in Camp) because he holds onto the F'n ball way too long. He's looking for the homerun pass.

The Receivers are going to CONTINUE to have issues holding onto his passes because they are getting their @$$3$ kicked in short yardage. The Opposing Defense sets up camp there and makes Hill beat their coverage. He RARELY does it, so they will continue to make him uncomfortable in the pocket and knock the Receivers around.

This is NOT new. This is something that has been happening since last season. Only people are so stoned on the Ws' they can't see straight.

And here I am shaking my head at how simple it really is. It's a team loss because it's a team sport. But one simple fix and things could be MUCH different.

~Ceadder

I disagree in regards to Raye. I also disagree in regards to the line. I agree 100% on Hill. Those 3 are our achilles heal this season. If we can add a new RT, LG, QB and a REAL OC this team would be a SB contender.
Originally posted by lonneybyrd:
Jimmy Raye is one of the worst Cordinators in the NFL... WE NEED A REAL CORDINATOR NOT A GRANDFATHER CALLING PLAYS FROM THE 70's.

Hey, 70's plays were fine. Look at a decent '70s team and the 9ers...

Seriously, start blaming the offense on Sing, not Raye. It is Sing's philosophy to run a team on defense and motivation. He had an OC that won a super bowl and fired him because he was too "risky".

Raye could put a different product out there, but Sing doesn't want it.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

Bill Walsh must be rolling over in his grave at the thought of this fool on the 49ers sidelines. Sad, just f&*&*ing sad.

Man, I would love to see the West Coast Offensive (which was misnamed if you ask me) back where it belongs.

Dude, I thought that was Bill Cosby for a second.

Could be the reason why our O-line look like Jell-O.

LOL
Share 49ersWebzone