There are 187 users in the forums

49ers accuse Jets of Tampering *Updated*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?

Don't get too excited bud. Even if we get a boat load of picks for this. The reality is that we are not keeping them all especially if we get one or two first rounders. If we have 4 firstround picks, where are we gonna get the money to sign them? You're talking about 30-40 million in guaranteed money. If we get picks,don't be surprised if we trade it for a proven player if the picks are in this years draft or we defer the picks to the 2011 draft.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by E-49er:
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?

Don't get too excited bud. Even if we get a boat load of picks for this. The reality is that we are not keeping them all especially if we get one or two first rounders. If we have 4 firstround picks, where are we gonna get the money to sign them? You're talking about 30-40 million in guaranteed money. If we get picks,don't be surprised if we trade it for a proven player if the picks are in this years draft or we defer the picks to the 2011 draft.

Draft picks are often times traded on the day of the draft for players that other teams might want to unload. Anquan Boldin comes to mind.
If the Jets are determined to have tampered, let's not overlook the competitive seriousness of this crime. It means that a team (the 49ers) will have been without the services of one of their top players for what will likely amount to a full year.

It is the contractual equivilent of the front office of one team simply walking up to one of another team's best players and taking him out at the knees for the year with a 2x4.

When we look back at this year, even if we make the playoffs, who is to say that we wouldn't have won more, or more easily, with this player on the field?

If proven, an additional first round draft choice would just be a start in my mind.

How about the Jets organization having to refund every single 9er ticket holder at any game in 2009 which the 49ers don't happen to win?
Originally posted by Xestenz:
If the Jets are determined to have tampered, let's not overlook the competitive seriousness of this crime. It means that a team (the 49ers) will have been without the services of one of their top players for what will likely amount to a full year. It is the contractual equivilent of the front office of one team simply walking up to one of another team's best players and taking him out at the knees for the year with a 2x4. When we look back at this year, even if we make the playoffs, who is to say that we wouldn't have won more, or more easily, with this player on the field? If proven, an additional first round draft choice would just be a start in my mind. How about the Jets organization having to refund every single 9er ticket holder at any game in 2009 which the 49ers don't happen to win?

how about refunding the people who bought jerseys?

really? good to know
people who are expecting more than the two first round picks we have next year are delusional (tho i will not complain if the delusion becomes reality). I just don't see many teams offering up a no 1 for crabtree in march or any draft picks really. I think the only way the niners are going to get any picks from this will be the tampering charges and that will probably net a 3rd and a 4th.

but who know, this whole thing is screwy anyway.
I would not be surprised to see the jets land crabtree after all. If they are found guilty the jets will have to give something up. I know this does not necessarily mean whatever they give up goes to the 49ers but they are already invested to a certain degree for crabtree at this point. I would not be surprised at all to see the jets offer a little more to the 49ers come March because they will already be somewhat invested into crabtree.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mitpdub:
I really hope the 2 owners picked are not from the NFC West.

Its really hard to speculate on who would actually be fair and impartial with the Niners.

The security officers chosen will likely be from teams that would not present an actual or apparent conflict of interest...ie NFC West teams & AFC East teams and possibly the Bears since we had a tampering case of our own with them. May even be able to rule out the Raiders. Personally I think the best case scenario would be a team from the AFC North or South and a team from the NFC South.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by E-49er:

Draft picks are often times traded on the day of the draft for players that other teams might want to unload. Anquan Boldin comes to mind.

Quote:
-Q: Were you interested in trading for Boldin?

-McCLOUGHAN: We’ve had discussions internally. They’re not willing to trade him within the division.
Let's hope this isn't just a way for the NFL to screw the Niners.

Its does seem to make sense. I live in the NJ/NY area and remember hearing talk radio mention that a player from the Jets, I think Revis, twitter about the Jets making a big shocking move for a WR during the pre-season. Once it was determined that it wasnt Brandon Marshall people were wondering who he could be talking about.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Its does seem to make sense. I live in the NJ/NY area and remember hearing talk radio mention that a player from the Jets, I think Revis, twitter about the Jets making a big shocking move for a WR during the pre-season. Once it was determined that it wasnt Brandon Marshall people were wondering who he could be talking about.

Man the NFL is twisted if the Jets thought that was a workable strategy, to go after a top 10 pick that they have no rights too....aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If I wasn't going to see Kings of Leon, Dave Mathews and Pearl Jam this weekend I might turn into the Hulk.
  • evil
  • Veteran

It was Kerry Rhodes and it was back at the beginning of September. He was likely hinting at Marshall as the deadline to trade for Crabtree had passed.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

It was Kerry Rhodes and it was back at the beginning of September. He was likely hinting at Marshall as the deadline to trade for Crabtree had passed.

Thats what everyone thought at first. But then he said it wasnt Marshall and it was something else.
how would the jets make a deal for crabtree in september?

unless you're saying he was talking about a sign-and-trade, which doesn't happen in the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone