There are 192 users in the forums

49ers accuse Jets of Tampering *Updated*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Scotty needs to man up and pull a Les Grossman on the Jets!!!!

Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

The 65 year old is right. The rookie pool allotment transfer only occurs on trades that happen on draft day. If the Jets wanted to trade for Crabtree they'd have to sign him with whatever left over money they had from their 2009 draft money.

Meaning if they're guilty of tampering they're guilty of extreme stupidity as well.

Where did you get that from? Link?

I'm sure you're right, but there is likely some other good info on that page regarding how the rules work pertaining to Crabs that would be interesting.

I'm too lazy to put up the link but the article is titled "the lengthy holdout of 49ers top pick Crabtree defies all logic". It's by Jason La Canfora

Basically the 25 percent rule prohibits teams from front loading rookie contracts. Even in the best case scenario it won't be until year 2012 were Crabtree breaks even.

Sweet. I'll look it up, thnx.

I mixed up your response with the another posters response . Here's the article you wanted.

[url=null]null[/url] http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-two-levels-of-tampering.html

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:38:13 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by young9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?

Don't get too excited bud. Even if we get a boat load of picks for this. The reality is that we are not keeping them all especially if we get one or two first rounders. If we have 4 firstround picks, where are we gonna get the money to sign them? You're talking about 30-40 million in guaranteed money. If we get picks,don't be surprised if we trade it for a proven player if the picks are in this years draft or we defer the picks to the 2011 draft.
Most likely scenario is the Jets LOSE a pick and the 49ers get a supplementary 3rd rounder. The 49ers will NOT get a pick from the Jets. The Jets will get punished by LOSING a pick, nothing more.

I don't know if that works though. Then you could tamper with another teams 1st round pick in your division if that player was an awesome talent and try to talk him out of signing, and if you get caught you loose your first round pick too but lets say you were already a playoff team, then you loose a late 1st and they loose a top 5. It would be a win-win for you regardless of if you got caught.
OK. As I think about it, I believe the fair compensation would be for the Jets to lose draft picks to the 49ers commensurate to the draft point value of #10. Therefore, whatever the value chart says, the 49ers get their choice of a combination that equals that value...unless MC signs here. In that case, the Jets lose a pick and the 49ers get a supplemental for their loss of value this year of the tampering.

If the Jets and any other team are found guilty then it shouldn't matter if MC signs or not either way they should get punished and we should get compensation.

Say the Jets are found guilty then didn't the tampering cause the holdout? basically any chance the 9ers had of him making an impact this year? we should get their 1st this year or next year our choice and a min of 1 other mid round pick. The Jets should pay a hefty fine and lose all compensatory picks as well.

I doubt we get a first in compensation unless it comes in a trade. while I agree with you I just dont think it happens. If we get a first as compensation it will probably come with the condition that Crabtree re-enters the draft and can be chosen by anyone except the Jets and the Niners. Which leaves the door open for the second tampering team to draft him, aka Cowboys.
Jets on Talking to Crabtree's Agent: "We Never Spoke, We Only Sent a Giant Bag of Money"

on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New York Jets
The Michael Crabtree saga in San Francisco just keeps getting better and better. Now the 49ers are accusing the Jets of tampering, claiming they spoke with Crabtree's agent. The Jets claim that they never spoke with Crabtree's agent, but admitted that they did send him a giant bag filled with money.

"It's just a coincidence that we need a big play receiver and he is kind of still on the market," said a representative of the Jets. "We simply sent his agent a big bag of money as a good faith gesture. It has nothing to do with us wanting Crabtree to play for us."

The NFL is looking into the matter. Right now the league is not commenting, but sources say investigators are waiting for another anonymous bag of cash to arrive at league offices.

LINK-Real fake sports
  • TownTalk510
  • Info N/A
when can we expect a ruling by the nfl on the tampering charge against the jets??
IBTL
few months
Time is rapidly approaching to cut a deal and trade him. It's not like we're brimming with talent and more picks next year will help us upgrade.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Time is rapidly approaching to cut a deal and trade him. It's not like we're brimming with talent and more picks next year will help us upgrade.

as its been said over and over again, the niners cant trade crabtree until march 1, 2010.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by ninergold:

as its been said over and over again, the niners cant trade crabtree until march 1, 2010.

I think he meant "sign him for whatever he's asking for them trade him"

but I'm pretty sure that would hurt us severely, cap wise

does anyone remember what happened to the packers when they filed tampering charges against the vikes?

nothing right?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
does anyone remember what happened to the packers when they filed tampering charges against the vikes?

nothing right?
Nothing happened b/c the Pack didn't produce enough initial evidence to get the NFL to investigate further.

According to PFT, the Niners DID produce enough evidence to the NFL to get the NFL to investigate further. PFT said something like the NFL was looking at which 2 other teams' head of security would be assigned to do the tampering investigation.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DownSouth:

nothing right?
Nothing happened b/c the Pack didn't produce enough initial evidence to get the NFL to investigate further.

According to PFT, the Niners DID produce enough evidence to the NFL to get the NFL to investigate further. PFT said something like the NFL was looking at which 2 other teams' head of security would be assigned to do the tampering investigation.

If we get any picks from them we're set up to do some serious damage in next year's draft

nothing right?

No tampering was found, though it was clear in 2009 when Favre signed with Brad Childress' Vikings that the two had discussions in 2008. The Packers didn't have enough evidence at the time to show the Vikings had tampered.
The only reason Crabtree is in SF to sign is because the crap is about to hit the fan on the Jets. Cashtree did not want to get banned from the NFL for a year for illegally neogoiating with other teams or the Jets backed way off from making promises to him. He figured he had better grab that brass (gold) ring while the merry-go-round was still running.
Share 49ersWebzone