There are 193 users in the forums

49ers accuse Jets of Tampering *Updated*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carl:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by rum53:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/01/a-few-details-on-the-crabtree-tampering-case/

interesting. 2 gms from other teams will be handling the investigation. i hope bill polian is one of them. i hope the other is parcells.

Seems like a way for Goodell to sweep it under the rug without actually doing it himself.

If Goodell handled this himself, then people would be unhappy that he's not sharing the power. It's a lose/lose situation when people are gunning for him.

Who would be mad about him not sharing the power? He is the commish? That is his job. He is just trying to brush this under the rug to save his beloved Jets. Nothing will come of this and Goodell will make the 49ers look like a bunch of clowns. The evidence can show clearly that the Jets tampered but that won't matter because Goodell isn't taking it seriously.
  • carl
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/01/a-few-details-on-the-crabtree-tampering-case/

interesting. 2 gms from other teams will be handling the investigation. i hope bill polian is one of them. i hope the other is parcells.

Seems like a way for Goodell to sweep it under the rug without actually doing it himself.

If Goodell handled this himself, then people would be unhappy that he's not sharing the power. It's a lose/lose situation when people are gunning for him.

Who would be mad about him not sharing the power? He is the commish? That is his job. He is just trying to brush this under the rug to save his beloved Jets. Nothing will come of this and Goodell will make the 49ers look like a bunch of clowns. The evidence can show clearly that the Jets tampered but that won't matter because Goodell isn't taking it seriously.

Okay... so without seeing the evidence the 49ers provided or knowing how this turns out you know that Goodel is brushing this under the rug and not taking this serious. That's awesome.

Okay... so without seeing the evidence the 49ers provided or knowing how this turns out you know that Goodel is brushing this under the rug and not taking this serious. That's awesome.

Didn't Goodell review the tampering charges against us. Why, now, do we need 2 "Security Managers" to do this (which looks to be an easier) investigation. Something just isn't right here.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Didn't Goodell review the tampering charges against us. Why, now, do we need 2 "Security Managers" to do this (which looks to be an easier) investigation. Something just isn't right here.

Yeah, and that something is our team resides on the wrong coast.
Originally posted by domesik:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Yeah, and that something is our team resides on the wrong coast.

that is exactly what it is. Don't expect anything out of this so called investigation. This will be pushed aside till it is forgotten.

Why waste the time of other GMs if he wants it swept under the rug, I didn't make the same correlation you did.
Originally posted by teeohh:

Why waste the time of other GMs if he wants it swept under the rug, I didn't make the same correlation you did.

Just becaues he says that 2 GM's will be investigating the claim doesn't mean it will get investigated
This just in:

The two GMs selected to lead the "security team" are from the Jets and Cowboys. All findings will be reported through the NFL network via Deion Sanders!

But on a serious note, why pick two GMs? How do we know they dont have a vested interest? This seems too important not to be run by the office itself.
I read the article that said two Security Managers, not GM's.
Originally posted by teeohh:

If 2 "Safety Managers" sweep it under the rug then it's not Goodell and his east coast bias. He can get this issue taken care of and not have the mess on his hands.

The biggest issue I have with this is that Goodell was the one who reviewed and handed down punishment for the Niners/Briggs tampering case; but, now he's going to pull in "Safety Managers." This all reeks of BS...

I really hope the 2 owners picked are not from the NFC West.

Its really hard to speculate on who would actually be fair and impartial with the Niners.
I think this will get serious. They are guilty and they will be made an example of. Teams messing with other teams draft picks is a big deal. I would like to know what the bears had when they brought charges so we could know what is needed to prove tampering.
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?
Isn't that all just wishful thinking?? Saying that we'll end up with a butt load of pics and maybe more?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Isn't that all just wishful thinking?? Saying that we'll end up with a butt load of pics and maybe more?

Yup. Sure is syber. I'm not sure that Jed york has many friends in the league yet. People who think we're going to automatically be handed several first round draft picks need to think about what were up against. 31 other organizations in the most competitive business environment imaginable. An old boys club where our owner is the youngest man of the bunch. This may be where Jed york makes his bones with the other NFL owners, and I hope it is, but to assume that the outcome is based solely on if tampering did in fact occur (I have no doubt it did) is missing the reality of business in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone