There are 237 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Baalke is a business man and it would be foolish not to trade Alex. It's Bad Business to let him walk w/out getting something in return. It's NOT a matter of class - it's a matter of smarts.

Something else to look forward to in the WAYYYYYY to long off season.

agreed, there is no way we wont field at least 2-3 different offers for him. I believe if the team is desperate enough, we could get a 2nd rounder tops, but idealistic value is a 3rd round pick.

Gonna get ATLEAST a 2nd doe.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Baalke is a business man and it would be foolish not to trade Alex. It's Bad Business to let him walk w/out getting something in return. It's NOT a matter of class - it's a matter of smarts.

Something else to look forward to in the WAYYYYYY to long off season.

agreed, there is no way we wont field at least 2-3 different offers for him. I believe if the team is desperate enough, we could get a 2nd rounder tops, but idealistic value is a 3rd round pick.

If you look at the trade charts, I have a dream that is similar to the niners getting a third round pick for Alex. KC trades the niners the 33rd pick in the draft, the Ninerrs trade Alex Smith plus the Carolina third round pick, or pick 77, or worst case scenario the niners pick 64.

Niners then have

Pick 32- last pick of the day
Pick 33, first pick of day 2- if lots of players on board they like might be able to trade down a few spots or pick uip BPA.

Pick 64- assuming this is not in the trade

Pick from Carolina - traded to KC along with AS.

3 picks, 2 in the top 33, 3 in top 64, not bad. A GMS dream.
If he isn't traded by the time the $1 million bonus is due, he will get released IMO.
I'm not too sure about the rules here: if we do cut him, does the waiver wire apply to him? If so, is the order the same of the draft order? If so, why would KC wish to trade for him if they know they'll be first if they put a claim on him?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If he isn't traded by the time the $1 million bonus is due, he will get released IMO.

from my understanding, they have to pay the 1 million before they trade him, because it is due before he can be traded.

I disagree, what is a million dollars? That's how much CJ Spillman is earning this year. They'll have more than enough cap space for this year, million or not, the real killer is the $7.5 million that will be confirmed on April 1st. The only way he gets released is if for some crazy reason they can't get a deal worked out before then.
A million dollars in the NFL is chicken feed.
Originally posted by paulk205:
I'm not too sure about the rules here: if we do cut him, does the waiver wire apply to him? If so, is the order the same of the draft order? If so, why would KC wish to trade for him if they know they'll be first if they put a claim on him?

I think he would be a regular free agent, able to sign with any team out there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I disagree, what is a million dollars? That's how much CJ Spillman is earning this year. They'll have more than enough cap space for this year, million or not, the real killer is the $7.5 million that will be confirmed on April 1st. The only way he gets released is if for some crazy reason they can't get a deal worked out before then.

A million dollars in the NFL is nothing to GMs who are not smart and reckless with the accounting.

Our front office does not seem the type.

I wouldn't think $1 million is a lot to you considering it is not your money and you are ok with splurging $8.5 million to keep Smith as a back up.
Will Alex make the same money when he transfers? 8.5 mil a year is reasonable for a guy that can make the right plays but I don't know if teams are going to be willing to take in his contract. This actually works to our advantage because if Alex allows us to trade his contract he will most likely be making more than he would if he entered the market a FA. I expect a holdout but something in me knows that most of these teams aren't willing to risk letting him go on the open market if they can aggressively trade for him.

Originally posted by paulk205:

I think he would be a regular free agent, able to sign with any team out there.

Yes. The waiver wire only applies to young kids that have less than 4 years.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Jan 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
A million dollars in the NFL is nothing to GMs who are not smart and reckless with the accounting.

I wouldn't think $1 million is a lot to you considering it is not your money and you are ok with splurging $8.5 million to keep Smith as a back up.

Here's the deal, Jed York has come out and stated that the 49ers could very well just hold on to Alex. They don't need to release him whatsoever, they can re-sign Goldson, sign their draft picks, add a couple of veteran low-tier free agents and still be good. Maybe he's just blustering to up his trade value, but its clear that keeping him is entirely feasible financially, regardless of whatever claims you may make.

Here's the deal, Jed York has come out and stated that the 49ers could very well just hold on to Alex. They don't need to release him whatsoever, they can re-sign Goldson, sign their draft picks, add a couple of veteran low-tier free agents and still be good. Maybe he's just blustering to up his trade value, but its clear that keeping him is entirely feasible financially, regardless of whatever claims you may make.

It's foolish to think the Niners will keep Smith as an $8.5 million dollar back up. Of course he is trying to make his trade value go up so he can get a sucker GM to believe it.

I just don't think there are GMs stupid enough to think that we will. Hopefully there is a sucker out there that believes it and we get a draft pick out of it.
  • evil
  • Veteran
If I'm KC, I give up a third for Smith and take Joeckel [sp] LT with the first selection.

Build the trenched first.

Why take Joeckel when you can simply resign Albert who is very open to returning. He is a good LT, and they have spent three 2nd or 3rd round picks in picks in the last few years upgrading the interior of the line. The weakest spot on their OL is at RT with Eric Winston whom they signed in FA last year.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

It's foolish to think the Niners will keep Smith as an $8.5 million dollar back up. Of course he is trying to make his trade value go up so he can get a sucker GM to believe it.

I just don't think there are GMs stupid enough to think that we will. Hopefully there is a sucker out there that believes it and we get a draft pick out of it.

Also remember that if Alex is a free agent, his salary will probably be in the 10-12M range with all the teams that's interested in him. By trading for him, he will save you 3ish million dollars.
Share 49ersWebzone