LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 147 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
With Norv the new OC in Cleveland, and reports coming out that the coaching staff isn't sold on Weeden, this could be a logical spot. The Browns have a few decent receivers, a really good RB, and some excellent offensive linemen -- including the best LT in the league. Alex could be very successful in that environment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-not-ready-commit-weeden-172925411--nfl.html
Lombardi hates Alex Smith, would take some major convincing to get Lombardi to be on board with that
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.
Arena League
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think Andy Reid may be interested in Alex Smith if Vick stays with Eagles. Andy Reid runs sort of a west-coast offense and Alex has been pretty damn good in the west-coast offense for the last year and a half. Chiefs have the 1st overall pick and don't need to reach for a QB since there isn't one worth of no.1 pick. They can draft a QB at the top of 2nd round and get a guy like Smith to help transition to the rookie in couple years.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

The Niners need to pay 1 million dollars to keep Smith to have the opportunity to trade him. Is 1 million dollars worth a 4th round pick?? It also counts against the cap for 2013, which the niners are tight against....

I think the niners need to get at least a third or swap second and third round picks with the other team to make it worth a million dollars. I for one want to give up Alex, pick 64 for pick 33. We get KC's second they get our second and Alex. A win win, the niners get back to back picks, picks 32 and 33.
I agree the Browns would be a good fit.

I'm really interested to see what the Chiefs and Eagles do. I know Geno Smith is polarizing right now, and I know his stock may look at lot different in three months, but both Andy Reid and Chip Kelly are guys that I really think will want to start their tenure with a true, solid "THEIR GUY" at QB, even if that means reaching a little.

Although, with that said, Harbaugh was in a bit of a similar position. He drafted "his guy" in round 2 and no one expected much of him for a few years at the earliest. Harbaugh did a great job of using the controversial incumbent as a stopgap. Maybe we could see that with Nick Foles or Brady Quinn.
if I was the Browns I'd stick with Weeden, and I think highly of Smith.

I know he wasn't this regimen's pick, but it's too early to give up on him, and IMO he showed a lot of good things his first year

• Paul
  • Veteran
he had a fairly good season last year, and even though he's almost 30 already.. I think the guy has some potential. Nothing wrong if they bring in a vet or draft another Qb but give the guy a fair shot. Turner will do some fairly good things there imo

Ok. And? Why shouldn't that be discussed when speaking of a landing spot? A landing spot for a trade...
Vick is willing to take a pay cut to remain with the eagles; I wish Alex would consider doing something similar. Probably not, because, Alex can be and should be a starting quarterback in the NFL.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
First, let's take a look at the QBs that led their teams to the playoffs this past season:

- Over 80% of the playoff teams originally drafted their QBs; Manning and Schaub were acquired via free agency and trade, respectively.

- 50% of the playoff teams' staring QBs have 3 or less years of experience in the NFL.

- Of these six, 3 of them were picked AFTER the 1st round.

I think what we are going to see is new head coaches are going to pick "their guy" in the draft instead of giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for a veteran QB like Matt Flynn or Alex Smith. Both of them became backups after getting unseated by young QB prospects that were 2nd-3rd round picks.

But, there are a few teams that have tried and failed in finding the right QB - Chiefs, Cardinals, Browns, and Jaguars. And there's one team that should be looking for an upgrade at QB - Vikings.

Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, and Leslie Frazier are three head coaches that need smart QBs that can help usher their teams to the next level.

Here's how I'd rank the best fit for Alex Smith:

1. Cardinals
- If you bolster their offensive line, Alex Smith will be successful and have plenty of weapons to utilize in Arizona. Floyd and Fitz could become the next Falcons White and Jones combo. Great decision making skills and accurate short and medium range throws, Smith could thrive under Arians system.

But would the 49ers trade him to a division rival? Maybe for a 2nd round pick at the least.

2. Vikings
- Add some weapons at WR, and you'll have a fully functioning offense for Alex Smith to step in and succeed. More of a power offense, the Vikings still run a variation of the WCO - Bill Musgrave has 49ers ties.

But Mike Singletary is very close to Leslie Frazier, and he shat on him during and after his tenure with the 49ers.

3. Chiefs
- They may be losing some key pieces this offseason, and who knows what their mental state will be after the death of one of their teammates. Andy Reid needs a smart QB behind center - McNaab and Vick took too many risks and made too many dumb mistakes. I don't think they'll be playoff bound in a year, but year 2 or year 3, they should be competitive.

Prediction: Chiefs select BPA and not QB in the draft, and trade for Alex Smith.
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Ok. And? Why shouldn't that be discussed when speaking of a landing spot? A landing spot for a trade...

OK. And.. then this would be in NinerTalk and Not Free Agency. Since. Alex isnt a FA.
Share 49ersWebzone