There are 195 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
LOL... Alex is going to not be on the team regardless. Why would a team war to trade for him?

His contract is attractive for how he played with the best offensive line and best rushing attack in the NFL. But everyone knows the contract of a draft pick is much more attractive both short term as long term.

I'm surprised that you haven't said we could get 2 1st round picks for him.

A. The 49ers don't HAVE to trade or release Alex.

B. The QB's on the free agent market are s**t.

C. The QB's in the draft are underwhelming

The 49ers have the supply, other teams have the demand. Call Alex whatever you want but he's a quality veteran quarterback with experience, with so many new GM's, they won't want to start a project and risk getting canned in a year or two, they'll want someone established and Alex will gain value, even if teams think that he's going to get cut, by trading for him, you determine his salary and you get him on your team without worrying about competition from other teams. He's the ideal stop-gap starter, a guy to play a couple seasons while your rookie develops. I'd say he's got 3rd round value right now, especially if the 49ers play up the angle of not having to cut him and realistically they don't, they can free up about 12-13 million in cap space, even with Alex still on the roster.

Urgency for QB's will only increase from here until the draft, I don't see the 49ers getting a 1st rounder for Alex, that sure as hell won't happen but I see his trading value having a ceiling of a late 2nd rounder and a basement of an early 4th round pick.

So you are saying the Niners should risk getting stuck with an $8 million back up???? Cmon, risk throwing away $8million for maybe a 4th round pick? think about that for a second. We should throw away $8 million for the chance to draft a 4th round talent, the draft is a gamble starting with the 1st round!!!!!

stuck with a $8 million dllar backup....another way of looking at is they have under $10 million invested in the qb position, very reasonable for a super bowl caliber team===but i still think they parts way with smith, however if baalke cant get his price, who knows

Like I said.

Saving $$$ on Kaep as a starter doesnt mean you just waste away $$ on the back up bc it "averages" out. Instead you invest that money on other positions. whether is be retaining players or FA.
Gotta keep the salary kaep low. But really who wouldn't b stoked to b the highest paid niner ever( Alex smith) maybe get a ring and maybe collect 8 mill to ride the pine.. How could he be angry at the niners... But really I don't think anyone wants to see him get picked up by Arizona. They were 4 and 0 before Kolb got hurt. We will get a 2 or 3 rd for hm..
What none of us really know is how the different GMs really view Alex Smith. They may view him as a game manager only who did a good job in Harbaugh's system but not someone who can come in and make an impact in a new offense. They may look at him as a guy who lost his job to an unproven kid and replaced by a coach who loved him.

Does he really have the upside that a team would want to trade a 1st or 2nd rd pick? I tend to doubt it but anything is possible I suppose. It just takes one GM to get desperate and make a move. I still think a 3rd is the most likely compensation with a 4th a possibility.

The only thing we REALLY know is that Alex will not be on the 49ers next season. He isnt going to be a backup earning 8.5 million and teams know that.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Gotta keep the salary kaep low. But really who wouldn't b stoked to b the highest paid niner ever( Alex smith) maybe get a ring and maybe collect 8 mill to ride the pine.. How could he be angry at the niners... But really I don't think anyone wants to see him get picked up by Arizona. They were 4 and 0 before Kolb got hurt. We will get a 2 or 3 rd for hm..

Thought a bit about this. I think it would be rather funny. Ck7 looks over with a sly grin that says "I'm the starter." Then Alex grins back and puts index to thumb and rubs... obviously indicating "Iz got da money, yo!"

... but no. I seriously doubt the fire to be a starting QB has lessened in the slightest. He will ask for his release and we shall see if our F/O is classy enough to set him free. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with him on his next team... all the while being more than happy about the success our Niners will continue to enjoy.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Thought a bit about this. I think it would be rather funny. Ck7 looks over with a sly grin that says "I'm the starter." Then Alex grins back and puts index to thumb and rubs... obviously indicating "Iz got da money, yo!"

... but no. I seriously doubt the fire to be a starting QB has lessened in the slightest. He will ask for his release and we shall see if our F/O is classy enough to set him free. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with him on his next team... all the while being more than happy about the success our Niners will continue to enjoy.

What organization in any sport simply will set a player free when there is trade value? I would call them foolish more than classy if they did that. Smith could turn right around and sign with Arizona. Nope, the smart thing to do is trade him to the highest bidder and get a fairly high pick.
This was posted about Alex Smith on ESPN

The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles have all been mentioned as speculative possibilities thus far. We've heard that the idea of his landing in Cleveland has something more to it than just idle speculation. Stay tuned.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

What you call classy, I call foolish. If he has trade value, the answer is simple, you trade him and get something back.

All this talk of "the organization owes this to Alex" is just rubbish. He got paid exceedingly well and for a long time, with varying degrees of performance. 49ers don't owe him anything, on the contrary, Harbaugh helped to resuscitate his career and help him in becoming a successful quarterback in the NFL, they were under no obligation to keep him as the starter.
Baalke is a business man and it would be foolish not to trade Alex. It's Bad Business to let him walk w/out getting something in return. It's NOT a matter of class - it's a matter of smarts.

Something else to look forward to in the WAYYYYYY to long off season.

Why? Honestly, if he is your guy - and I believe he is - those are players you don't screw around with. Rather, you INVEST in them. If the 49ers want to roll with Kaep, I would have no problems with a proactive GM working on a contract modification/extension and lock up your future at QB. IMO, QB's that perform like CK just don't come around every day (see, 2005 draft) so be proactive not reactive. It is a far better thing to have the deal done and a path set than to drag it out and risk alienating a superstar at QB (who also happens not to be a prima donna).

The San Francisco 49ers, home of Joe Montana and Steve Young, without a superstar QB is like Linus without his blanket.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM ]
I think they'll honor his request and release him. I dont think we'll get anything for him. Plus, we wont be able to get anything but a 5 or 6th round for him....just because we get run over on stuff like that...

Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I think they'll honor his request and release him. I dont think we'll get anything for him. Plus, we wont be able to get anything but a 5 or 6th round for him....just because we get run over on stuff like that...

I disagree with that assessment. Smith is now a good quarterback in this league. His benching is a result of Kaepernick's ascension not Smith's performance.
They better trade him, this is a business and it's about making this team better
PFF ranks offensive lines: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

Going by this, the Jets (#3), Browns (#5), Vikings (#9), Chiefs (#12), Bills (#13), and Titans (#14) would be decent to really good options for Alex. Not so much for the Buccaneers (#18), Eagles (#19), Raiders (#24), Chargers (#28), Jaguars (#29), and Cardinals (#32).
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Baalke is a business man and it would be foolish not to trade Alex. It's Bad Business to let him walk w/out getting something in return. It's NOT a matter of class - it's a matter of smarts.

Something else to look forward to in the WAYYYYYY to long off season.

agreed, there is no way we wont field at least 2-3 different offers for him. I believe if the team is desperate enough, we could get a 2nd rounder tops, but idealistic value is a 3rd round pick.
If I'm KC, I give up a third for Smith and take Joeckel [sp] LT with the first selection.

Build the trenched first.
Share 49ersWebzone