LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
Lol, the article was deleted. Until this is proven true, it's not.

Yep
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Lol, the article was deleted. Until this is proven true, it's not.

Yep

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What the hell? We pick a guy in the 2nd round with huge athletic ability and then turn around and email the entire league lowering his trade value. We get only a 7th rounder in return?... I agree with some others. Just keep him then. He is on special teams alone worth at least a 7th rounder. And you could try to develop him and you could try to switch positions with him. I don't see how getting that valuable 7th rounder that we couldn't do without was so great?...

Great job Baalke and Jed led front office.....

Even assuming we got him for a 7th rounder (yet to be confirmed by anyone from either team), would you rather keep a piss-poor safety over a fringe guy like Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams, Scott McKillop, etc.?

He's worth it on special teams. He was good there. You need 1 special teams ace. He could make the 53 man roster. Getting a 7th rounder was nothing. You don't give him up for free. He was coveted enough to be a 2nd rounder so somebody should give you something for him of reasonable value. An email to the entire league lowered his value too because they know we don't want him. So they just lowball the offer.

Just a terribly run front office we have...
I believe Spillman and Constanza(spelling?) are in position to be our special teams aces. Spillman is probably the more applicable one in this case, as his ability to backup at S and play special teams make him more valuable right now than Mays would have been.

Mays is a physical specimen, but his poor instincts and difficulty in changing direction were concerns before the draft. He was drafted because somebody thought that those faults could be corrected and/or overcome, but he was going to be a project. Anytime you have a coaching change, the projects are usually the first casualties. You can see something similar happening in Denver, where their former 1st round QB from the same draft is now fighting for the backup role.
I probably would have rather hang on to him than getting a 7th round pick, if its true. This does not show "incompetence" by Baalke. If any team thinks he'd be that good there would have been better offers even with the email being sent. He made one good play last year and like someone said because he was in the right place at the right time.
Big deal SINGLETARY drafted him in the 2nd round and we got a 7th round pick for him. For all we know the 7th round pick could be a safety who goes on to have a way better career than Mays will have. The Bengals didn't rob us. Think of it this way, The Patriots drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round right? If they traded him for even two first round picks would that be a steal for them?
Mays might have been worth a 6th round pick, possibly a 5th, but for a player that so many questioned his ability to play safety in the NFL even while he was at USC, it would be hard to get anything of value for him.

I remember before the draft they said that they were going to basically stick with the draft board that McCloughan had put together. Baalke was NOT in control then.

[ Edited by btthepunk on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM ]
So sending a mass email didn't result in a bidding war that raised his value. Imagine that.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I probably would have rather hang on to him than getting a 7th round pick, if its true. This does not show "incompetence" by Baalke. If any team thinks he'd be that good there would have been better offers even with the email being sent. He made one good play last year and like someone said because he was in the right place at the right time.
Big deal SINGLETARY drafted him in the 2nd round and we got a 7th round pick for him. For all we know the 7th round pick could be a safety who goes on to have a way better career than Mays will have. The Bengals didn't rob us. Think of it this way, The Patriots drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round right? If they traded him for even two first round picks would that be a steal for them?
Mays might have been worth a 6th round pick, possibly a 5th, but for a player that so many questioned his ability to play safety in the NFL even while he was at USC, it would be hard to get anything of value for him.

I remember before the draft they said that they were going to basically stick with the draft board that McCloughan had put together. Baalke was NOT in control then.

very logical post and I agree to an extent...however I still think we got the short end of the stick, like someone else may have mentioned it is possible that mays was just using up a roster spot that can be filled by someone who will actually contribute on defense, but,I think we pulled the trigger a bit too soon on this kid, he must have really rubbed someone the wrong way...because a 7th rounder in 2013 is peanuts for a player we drafted in the 2nd. I think this was mishandled greatly by the FO...oh well, life goes on I suppose.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So sending a mass email didn't result in a bidding war that raised his value. Imagine that.

Youre right, we might have gotten a 6th round pick for him. Even without the email there wouldnt have been a bidding war for him.

yep. i think if that mass email wasn't sent out we could've gotten no worse than a 3rd round pick. the ineptitude of the FO and coaching staff is unreal. 4 more years of "rebuilding" here we go
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Youre right, we might have gotten a 6th round pick for him. Even without the email there wouldnt have been a bidding war for him.

Of course not. But the fact that they made such an egregious negotiating error indicates that they don't know what they're doing, at least in that respect. You don't devalue the asset that you possess. That's Negotiation 101. I don't really have a problem with Baalke trying to correct a mistake if Mays was Singletary's call, but I have a big problem with how they handled it.
we'll prob lose it because crabtree got caught practicing with the team while he was injured

we should trade Patrick WIllis for a 7th rounder too, that guy really sucks bad
Originally posted by King49er:
we should trade Patrick WIllis for a 7th rounder too, that guy really sucks bad

didn't you hear that he's in decline now because his # of tackles is decreasing?
figure it would of been at least a 5th

damn
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Paul:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/29/2392262/bengals-used-a-seventh-round-draft-pick-for-safety-taylor-mays

Not really pleased with the deal

That article is based on the other article which was deleted, my guess is it may not be correct.
We may as well kept him for that. A 7th rounder is just someone who's likely to be cut anyway, especially with our drafting skills. We apparently can't even find a keeper in the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone