There are 251 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
They overpaid.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
lol couldn't even get a 2012 pick
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So sending a mass email didn't result in a bidding war that raised his value. Imagine that.

It would if he was any good.

Imagine a mass e-mail by the pats or Colts that Brady/manning are on the trading block.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Bottom line: Wasted pick. You cannot miss on 1st and 2nd rounders and expect to win in this league.

one thing is true. he will never have to work. Can you say that? Didn't think so.

[ Edited by Lifer on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Lifer:

you know the deal....a bratha making it.
what a waste of a 2nd rounder, i hope we learn from this and start drafting better
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't know if you realize it or not, but 6th round pick > 7th round pick.

Bottom line: letting every team in the league know that you don't want a player is NOT going to help you get value. Why the hell would anyone offer more than a piece of gum for an item everyone knows you're gonna throw away at the end of the day?

exactly.........
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Where did all this crap about a 4th for Mays come from?
Am I not mistaken in thinking that Mays was going to be released anyways. So we got a 7th compared to nothing. The rumor was that the Bengals had to make a trade to get Mays because if he was straight released then he would have likely chosen to go elsewhere and not to the Bengals. Who would Mays have taken a roster spot over? Williams has looked good so far in the preseason, Goldson and Whitner are starters and Smith has looked better than Mays by a good amount.
  • dj43
This is just the latest evidence that the FO has not yet evolved to big-time level. This wasn't handled well.

That having been said, every team needs ST players with speed. It is one of the prerequisites for good ST play, and one that has been missing from the 49ers for years now. The good teams have good balance on their roster and can carry a guy who is basically a gunner and little else.

The problem for the 49ers is that they have a number of other areas where they would like to keep an extra player or two until they have more time to fully evaluate their talent. The DL is one of those areas. Right now it looks like Dobbs and Williams could be decent rotational guys. Silver might also be in the mix. Similar situations exist with the WRs and secondary. So do you cut one of those guys who have the potential to be more than "just" ST guys in order to keep Mays?

I'm disappointed Mays did not turn out to be more than a 7th round pick but I am also glad his roster spot will now be available to someone who can contribute more in the future. Call that "looking for the silver lining on the cloud" but it is pretty clear Mays wasn't going to be worth much to this team.

We got robbed!
Alright! We actually got something for a guy who was going to get cut. I'll take it!
Bottom line, doesn't bode well for Baalke's reign.

Will always be a blemish. What a huge mistake! Frm 2nd rounder to 7th in 2013 no less.

Wow!
Originally posted by lamontb:

Bottom line: letting every team in the league know that you don't want a player is NOT going to help you get value. Why the hell would anyone offer more than a piece of gum for an item everyone knows you're gonna throw away at the end of the day?

exactly.........

not exactly. We have so much depth at Safety right no that keeping Mays would mean one less roster spot for quality depth. We would have cut Mays and gotten nothing for him. No team would have given us anything less. You don't think that if there were more than one team interested that we would tell one of those teams that we got offered a 7th and they must beat that? No team values him very high.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by lamontb:

exactly.........

not exactly. We have so much depth at Safety right no that keeping Mays would mean one less roster spot for quality depth. We would have cut Mays and gotten nothing for him. No team would have given us anything less. You don't think that if there were more than one team interested that we would tell one of those teams that we got offered a 7th and they must beat that? No team values him very high.

exactly......... something = better than nothing. Mays was gone regardless, who cares we cut our losses and are moving on... but with an additional 7th round pick. As for Balke now being horrible because of this pick... It was a high risk high reward move that was predicated by his coach's wants... a coach that is no longer coaching the team. Obviously Sing thought much higher of Mays than Harbaugh. Do you really think that Balke would let Mays go if HE was that high on him? Its like Parcells once said... if your gonna cook dinner they should at least let you shop for groceries... Sing sucks at grocery shopping too. NEXT.
Share 49ersWebzone