LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 49erfanatic.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Quickness? I am pretty sure the problem was his lack of quickness and lateral agility? he has straightline speed but was not explosive...yea lets put a guy like that close to the line of scrimmage and see how well he does...jesus

You should stop ... and think for a change. We just traded a 2nd round pick for a 7th rounder. My point is that they gave up on this guy way too early. I don't think one year is enough to make the determination that he was a bust. We've spent all kinds of draft picks on much less athletic guys they tried to convert to other positions, and they didn't give Mays the same opportunity. Just another bad mistake all the way around. If Baalke didn't like the pick, he should have had the balls to tell Dingleberry "no".
I'll wait for Baalke to confirm it. The original article from the Bengals.com page is currently deleted, maybe there was some reporting error.
What the hell? We pick a guy in the 2nd round with huge athletic ability and then turn around and email the entire league lowering his trade value. We get only a 7th rounder in return?... I agree with some others. Just keep him then. He is on special teams alone worth at least a 7th rounder. And you could try to develop him and you could try to switch positions with him. I don't see how getting that valuable 7th rounder that we couldn't do without was so great?...

Great job Baalke and Jed led front office.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What the hell? We pick a guy in the 2nd round with huge athletic ability and then turn around and email the entire league lowering his trade value. We get only a 7th rounder in return?... I agree with some others. Just keep him then. He is on special teams alone worth at least a 7th rounder. And you could try to develop him and you could try to switch positions with him. I don't see how getting that valuable 7th rounder that we couldn't do without was so great?...

Even assuming we got him for a 7th rounder (yet to be confirmed by anyone from either team), would you rather keep a piss-poor safety over a fringe guy like Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams, Scott McKillop, etc.?
Why is this in NT?
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

Even assuming we got him for a 7th rounder (yet to be confirmed by anyone from either team), would you rather keep a piss-poor safety over a fringe guy like Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams, Scott McKillop, etc.?

He's worth it on special teams. He was good there. You need 1 special teams ace. He could make the 53 man roster. Getting a 7th rounder was nothing. You don't give him up for free. He was coveted enough to be a 2nd rounder so somebody should give you something for him of reasonable value. An email to the entire league lowered his value too because they know we don't want him. So they just lowball the offer.

Just a terribly run front office we have...
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Why is this in NT?

Because it's a thread discussing what SF got as compensation, therefore is topical to the 49ers team.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Lol, the article was deleted. Until this is proven true, it's not.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Why is this in NT?

Because it's a thread discussing what SF got as compensation, therefore is topical to the 49ers team.

1) He was a niner.
2) It discusses the compensation we got in return for him for the trade.
3) It evaluates and discusses the front office moves including the emails to the league lowering the value of compensation in return. Evaluation of the front office.

It's very niner talk related.
He's worth it on special teams. He was good there. You need 1 special teams ace. He could make the 53 man roster. Getting a 7th rounder was nothing. You don't give him up for free. He was coveted enough to be a 2nd rounder so somebody should give you something for him of reasonable value. An email to the entire league lowered his value too because they know we don't want him. So they just lowball the offer.

Just a terribly run front office we have...

He was coveted enough to be a second rounder by a certifiable retard (Mike Singletary) and no one else. We have plenty of special teams aces like that new LB from the Browns (who was basically Michael Robinson), Scott McKillop (who can actually play backup LB), and some other guys. His value on special teams was very overrated. He made one good play by being in the right place at the right time. He actually wasn't very good on special teams last year. He's a horrible tackler and to be a special teams gunner, you have to know how to wrap up. He doesn't know how to do that.

Where did this Taylor Mays = great at special teams myth come from anyway?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Quickness? I am pretty sure the problem was his lack of quickness and lateral agility? he has straightline speed but was not explosive...yea lets put a guy like that close to the line of scrimmage and see how well he does...jesus

You should stop ... and think for a change. We just traded a 2nd round pick for a 7th rounder. My point is that they gave up on this guy way too early. I don't think one year is enough to make the determination that he was a bust. We've spent all kinds of draft picks on much less athletic guys they tried to convert to other positions, and they didn't give Mays the same opportunity. Just another bad mistake all the way around. If Baalke didn't like the pick, he should have had the balls to tell Dingleberry "no".

And how was he supposed to do that when contractually Singletary had final say over the roster?

Even after all that, it's pretty hard to get value when you send a mass email to every team in the league telling them you don't want him. It's like trying to bluff your way thru a poker hand when everyone sees your cards and you have nothing. Stupid move by whoever had that bright idea.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I am thinking a 7th round pick is not correct. Certainly hoping its not correct.

Either that or the practice squad. He's garbage, the pick matches his ability.

The fact is people keep justifying this when it is clear that our front office, once again, screwed things up. This is what happens and will continue to happen until an experienced person(s) fill the front office. Briggs, Crabtree, Mays, S. Hill,...on and on.
Does a 7th round pick even matter? Why didn't we just trade Mays for a vending machine for our players in the locker room or something?
  • Paul
  • Veteran
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/29/2392262/bengals-used-a-seventh-round-draft-pick-for-safety-taylor-mays

Not really pleased with the deal
Share 49ersWebzone