LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 387 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So sending a mass email didn't result in a bidding war that raised his value. Imagine that.

Youre right, we might have gotten a 6th round pick for him. Even without the email there wouldnt have been a bidding war for him.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but 6th round pick > 7th round pick.

Bottom line: letting every team in the league know that you don't want a player is NOT going to help you get value. Why the hell would anyone offer more than a piece of gum for an item everyone knows you're gonna throw away at the end of the day?
maybe that pick can be the one goodall takes from niners for letting crabtree catch passes today
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
G. Cohn is saying Schefter is reporting this to be true, so I dunno, maybe it is true.
WTF either the email killed his trade value, or something else is going on. Damn for a 7th he is win win for the bengals even if he doesnt do anything other than ST.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So sending a mass email didn't result in a bidding war that raised his value. Imagine that.

Youre right, we might have gotten a 6th round pick for him. Even without the email there wouldnt have been a bidding war for him.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but 6th round pick > 7th round pick.

Bottom line: letting every team in the league know that you don't want a player is NOT going to help you get value. Why the hell would anyone offer more than a piece of gum for an item everyone knows you're gonna throw away at the end of the day?

MIGHT have gotten a higher pick. Bottom line is if someone thought real highly of him they would have offered more to be able to be the first to get him before he was thrown out. If he was cut he'd be free to go anywhere, by trading for him you wouldnt have to compete with anyone else.
Taylor Mays cannot play safety in the NFL + Everyone knows this = We were LUCKY to get ANYTHING for him.

Bungles fans should be the ones lamenting, not us.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Taylor Mays cannot play safety in the NFL + Everyone knows this = We were LUCKY to get ANYTHING for him.

Bungles fans should be the ones lamenting, not us.

he could have at least been special teams fodder which is at least a six rounder
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
What a waste of a second round pick.
Originally posted by kujon11:
he could have at least been special teams fodder which is at least a six rounder

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You can find special teams fodder by scouring practice squads, and probably better special teams players than Taylor Mays.

I love how Baalke was a genius when he got Dashon Goldson for 1.5 million, Braylon Edwards for less than a million (unless he meets his incentive bonuses) and whatnot, but he's a completely irredeemable dumbass for trading a s**t player for a draft pick. I guess that's to be expected with Webzoners. Who everyone really should be blaming: Mike Singletary for being so adamant about drafting Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Not like he was going to play for us anyways. But no way we traded him for a 2013 7th round pick, that seems somewhat worthless.

Exactly. Which makes me wonder what was going on? Because last time I checked, Taylor Mays had some special teams plays that helped us win, or near win games. We nearly beat the Falcons in their house in large part to a play he made! So a 2013, 7th round pick, ...no, that just doesn't get it done.

Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
What bothers me is that they didn't at least try Mays out at OLB before getting rid of him. A guy with those measurables, and his ability to hit could have possibly converted to outside linebacker. And if I recall, he did a pretty good job blitzing the QB on passes. With his quickness, maybe he develops into a good edge pass rusher? This team loves to draft guys out of position, and then convert them to something else, so why not give Mays a shot? I love Harbaugh as our coach, but I'm not impressed with Baalke. He's just an extension of McClueless. Baalke didn't like the guy, cause he wasn't his pick, but they showed no patience with Mays. It's a double standard. Look at how many second chances some of our other non-productive players seem to get?

Mays made a play in Atlanta to give the 49ers a shot at winning the game. That is something, that game was HUGE.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by kujon11:

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You can find special teams fodder by scouring practice squads, and probably better special teams players than Taylor Mays.

I love how Baalke was a genius when he got Dashon Goldson for 1.5 million, Braylon Edwards for less than a million (unless he meets his incentive bonuses) and whatnot, but he's a completely irredeemable dumbass for trading a s**t player for a draft pick. I guess that's to be expected with Webzoners. Who everyone really should be blaming: Mike Singletary for being so adamant about drafting Taylor Mays.

Originally posted by ace130:
Originally posted by txniner2:
I would've traded him for no draft pick just a month supply of Doritos for the team

Nah, Hot cheetos with a couple of lemons

Jalapeno cheetos, a moon pie and a RC cola was the deal I proposed. Gotta be the jalapeno cheetos none of those cheesy poof cheetos, that's a deal breaker.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It is funny man, because I think those tea party people are bible-thumping, agenda pushing idiots that have no clue what the people of America need ( not that any of the current parties or factions are any better). I am sorry if you do not agree with my assessment, but it is pretty clear that Mays is an athlete with straight line speed that isn't even a very good tackler. It is silly to hold it against him for the pick we wasted on him though, he can't help it if Singletary got Baalke to pick him 2-3 rounds early. Good luck to him being the gunner for the Bengals, he might actually make a decent one. Great athlete doesn't equate to a good ball player.

Still sound like them. and Memphis is your location? come on

I am not the one that has lost my objectivity, if you want to point fingers, you might want to realize that you might be having a tea party moment. Also, though I am a Memphian, I do not count myself amongst the democratic liberals that predominate in the mid south, nor the tow-the-line republicans. In my opinion it is past time to be anything but American when it comes to politics, the two parties have completely lost sight of what is good for this country.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I never liked this pick...watched him play in college many times and I never once believed that he could play FS in NFL. Turns out, he can't play SS either. Hated when we drafted him...but whatever, he wasn't going to help us. I just wished our front office did a better job of hiding their dissatisfaction - could have gotten a higher pick for him imo if they played their cards right.

Baalke should have stood up to Singletary and told him to shut it if he strongly felt 2nd rounder is too high for Mays. In defense of Baalke, he should have been named GM before the draft. When you are fighting for your job, you are tryin' your best to not step on other ppl's toes - and at that point - unfortunately Singletary was the face of the franchise.

Share 49ersWebzone