LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
SI_PeterKing Peter King

RT @mattb625: No, re: Nawrocki on Cam. Do you agree with him? ... I have heard the same, but honestly, I do not know for sure.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by valrod33:
mattbarrows

Nawrocki on PFT Live: "It wouldn't surprise me ... if (Cam Newton) ends up in the second round. Because there are so many concerns."

This Nawrocki guys is being a little too obvious now.

Obvious about what? The more I've been reading and hearing since this came out this guy is highly respected and honest in his assessment of all players, and his track record is pretty damn good.
Originally posted by TX9R:
mattbarrows

Nawrocki on PFT Live: "It wouldn't surprise me ... if (Cam Newton) ends up in the second round. Because there are so many concerns."

Obvious about what? The more I've been reading and hearing since this came out this guy is highly respected and honest in his assessment of all players, and his track record is pretty damn good.

Obvious? I think all his concerns are valid considering Newton's history. It won't make a difference, a team will still overdraft him. If he's on the board for AZ, I think Wisenhunt sees him as Big Ben v2.0... huge mistake, but good for us. Big Ben made plays with his feet in college but it was always to buy time for a long pass, just like he's been doing in Pit. When games were on the line for Auburn, Cam ran the dive/veer option (whatever its called in that offense) 90% of the time... won't work in the NFL.

To date I haven't seen anything other than athleticism that makes Cam a justifiable top 10 pick. Does he have potential... unquestionably, but teams start getting into trouble when they draft off potential.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
mattbarrows

Obvious? I think all his concerns are valid considering Newton's history. It won't make a difference, a team will still overdraft him. If he's on the board for AZ, I think Wisenhunt sees him as Big Ben v2.0... huge mistake, but good for us. Big Ben made plays with his feet in college but it was always to buy time for a long pass, just like he's been doing in Pit. When games were on the line for Auburn, Cam ran the dive/veer option (whatever its called in that offense) 90% of the time... won't work in the NFL.

To date I haven't seen anything other than athleticism that makes Cam a justifiable top 10 pick. Does he have potential... unquestionably, but teams start getting into trouble when they draft off potential.

But he (NN) admits to not interviewing Cam, so they are based off of what he reads...Gil Brandt states that that s**t is overblown. Gil Brandt likely has better sources considering his history with the league and has evaluated talent for professional teams, Nawrocki has not. How much of what Nawrocki wrote on Cam was to sell his magazines ?

And Ben has used his feet to make many o' plays in the NFL that were not long passes...some he took off for a first, some bought time to hit an open receiver on a short or intermediate pass. Cam has that kind of ability, to move and keep a play alive.

If Whisenhunt drafts Cam should he be on the board how is that a mistake ? We won't know for 3 years likely. So unfortunately we may be dealing with that for 2x a season for possibly 10+ years if Whiz turns out to be right. Not a good thing for us....a good thing for us is the Cards taking a QB outside the first where the success rate for a QB drops. A division rival taking a 1st round graded QB with upside that is through the roof is not a good thing.
Carolina is going to take him
Originally posted by KRS-1:
mattbarrows

But he (NN) admits to not interviewing Cam, so they are based off of what he reads...Gil Brandt states that that s**t is overblown. Gil Brandt likely has better sources considering his history with the league and has evaluated talent for professional teams, Nawrocki has not. How much of what Nawrocki wrote on Cam was to sell his magazines ?

And Ben has used his feet to make many o' plays in the NFL that were not long passes...some he took off for a first, some bought time to hit an open receiver on a short or intermediate pass. Cam has that kind of ability, to move and keep a play alive.

If Whisenhunt drafts Cam should he be on the board how is that a mistake ? We won't know for 3 years likely. So unfortunately we may be dealing with that for 2x a season for possibly 10+ years if Whiz turns out to be right. Not a good thing for us....a good thing for us is the Cards taking a QB outside the first where the success rate for a QB drops. A division rival taking a 1st round graded QB with upside that is through the roof is not a good thing.

I agree with you that the press around Cam is overblown, but what worries me is that his supposed "role-models" got in trouble for trying to solicit his services to colleges. And then he makes statements that are indicative of a me-first attitude, those are the only point I think that add validity to any Cam critique, but yes the rest is just to sell magazines.

Talent-wise, I watched Ben play at Miami (Ohio) most of his senior year, as well as all the sunday highlights for the NFL and though he makes tons of plays with his feet, whether running for first downs or short passes/long passes, his eyes are always downfield.

From watching Auburn, Cam always wanted the ball in his hands... a great trait for a QB, shows confidence and leadership... but he relied more on his feet to make the plays rather than having his feet facilitate his arm making the big play. That's the key difference I see between Ben and Cam (hopefully that made sense). In the NFL the athletic QB's with consistent success are IMO the ones who use their feet to buy time for their arm to make the play.

It's like comparing the old Vick to the new Vick. Old Vick was amazing, but overtime defenses were able to scheme for him and he didn't have the ability to look downfield while scrambling, relying on athleticism rather than trusting the play and his receivers ability to get open. The new Vick still scrambles, but he has learned to keep his eyes downfield and trust his offense more than his legs.

I'm not trying to knock Cam, and if he realizes his full potential then good for him and he will be a nightmare to play against. Just when watching him play, the feeling is more "wow look at this amazing athlete playing QB" rather than "wow look at how athletic this QB is". For example if V. Young, Big Ben, Freeman, Cambell, Tebow and Cam all came out this year with the same careers they had in college, I would have them rated in that order though they all have the mold of "big bodied athletic QB".
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
hERE'S ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOUT nAWROCKI'S CREDENTIALS. http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/03/did_nolan_nawrocki_cross_the_l.html
Whether you agree with his assesmnet or not, I don't think this is a stunt to boost clicks. PFW has been around a long time.
  • evil
  • Veteran
I agree with you that the press around Cam is overblown, but what worries me is that his supposed "role-models" got in trouble for trying to solicit his services to colleges. And then he makes statements that are indicative of a me-first attitude, those are the only point I think that add validity to any Cam critique, but yes the rest is just to sell magazines.

You have to remember those statements were taken out of context. Also those role models are now playing a lesser role while guys like Warren Moon play a bigger role in helping shape him.

Quote:
Talent-wise, I watched Ben play at Miami (Ohio) most of his senior year, as well as all the sunday highlights for the NFL and though he makes tons of plays with his feet, whether running for first downs or short passes/long passes, his eyes are always downfield.

From watching Auburn, Cam always wanted the ball in his hands... a great trait for a QB, shows confidence and leadership... but he relied more on his feet to make the plays rather than having his feet facilitate his arm making the big play. That's the key difference I see between Ben and Cam (hopefully that made sense). In the NFL the athletic QB's with consistent success are IMO the ones who use their feet to buy time for their arm to make the play.

It's like comparing the old Vick to the new Vick. Old Vick was amazing, but overtime defenses were able to scheme for him and he didn't have the ability to look downfield while scrambling, relying on athleticism rather than trusting the play and his receivers ability to get open. The new Vick still scrambles, but he has learned to keep his eyes downfield and trust his offense more than his legs.

We can't fault Cam for the offensive system he played in, and what he was asked to do by his coaches. Tape doesn't tell us what is asked of a player by the coaching staff and a QB with Cam's skill set and wheels is going to be asked to use his feet to make plays if his 1st or 2nd read aren't there and a hole to run through is in the collegiate ranks.

It's fact that he did those things just like it's fact that he is extremely raw, thus why he will likely need a year to sit and learn.

Quote:
I'm not trying to knock Cam, and if he realizes his full potential then good for him and he will be a nightmare to play against. Just when watching him play, the feeling is more "wow look at this amazing athlete playing QB" rather than "wow look at how athletic this QB is". For example if V. Young, Big Ben, Freeman, Cambell, Tebow and Cam all came out this year with the same careers they had in college, I would have them rated in that order though they all have the mold of "big bodied athletic QB".

A big difference between Cam and Tebow/VY is his throwing motion is much better and doesn't need the work that latter two did. Cam would likely fall somewhere in the middle if they were all in the same class IMO however he would still have the highest ceiling out of all of them.

With Cam it's gonna come down to which teams believe his passion for the game and his desire to be the best, everything else is eye popping for coaches who will likely be seeing a potential elite model to mold.
  • evil
  • Veteran
hERE'S ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOUT nAWROCKI'S CREDENTIALS. http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/03/did_nolan_nawrocki_cross_the_l.html
Whether you agree with his assesmnet or not, I don't think this is a stunt to boost clicks. PFW has been around a long time.

Magazines on shelves are a big part of this not just clicks my friend

It's even acknowledged in your link

Quote:
I do, however, believe that the editors of PFW leaked Nolan's evaluation in order to draw attention to their product. I'm certain that was the case. And it worked. That wouldn't have been Nolan Nawrocki's call.

Might not have been his call but it would come as no surprise if he had a hand in wanting to leak the info.
mattbarrows

mattbarrows

I'd much rather the Tards end up with Cam over Blaine

Marty Hurney defends Cam Newton
Apr
4/2/2011 7:38:13 AM | More

Carolina Panthers GM Marty Hurney appeared on the Mac Attack on CBSCharlotte. During the interview, Hurney was asked about Nolan Nawrocki's derogatory comments about Cam Newton.

"I don't pay much attention," said Hurney. "Nawrocki has never met Cam Newton. So who's he talked to? He says he's talking to decision makers. We have the No. 1 pick. He hasn't talked to me." Hurney, "Nawrocki did his job, he's selling books."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Comments
You must register and be logged in to comment

Nawrocki is a tool. Its easier to hate and make s**t up than to do work. PFW isnt hard news and is more wrong than right on everything NFL. The s**t he said about not being a team first guy or leader is complete bulls**t. You dont accomplish what Cam did without leadership ability and the respect of your teammates. Just doesnt win you a undefeated season and national championship. Nawrocki only proves once again why PFW is a s**t source of information.
The more I watch and read things about Cam Newton, the more I don't like him. He probably doesn't even know what the word humble means. I don't like the way he carries himself. He's just so arrogant!
Originally posted by PTulini:
The more I watch and read things about Cam Newton, the more I don't like him. He probably doesn't even know what the word humble means. I don't like the way he carries himself. He's just so arrogant!

Youre confusing arrogant with confident honestly
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

Yeah those arrogant quarterbacks the worst. I mean when a skinny 6th round draft pick who had not even made the team tells his owner ā€œIā€™m the best decision this organization has ever made.ā€ He should of been cut right on the spot....And then has the nerve to think he should be starting for a team with a Pro Bowl starting Quarterback!? Who would want a quarterback like that! .... Oh wait that was Tom Brady....
Share 49ersWebzone