There are 150 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Didn't see a "Cam"-wagon so I thought I'd be the first to jump on! This guy is a beast, plain and simple. Short of Andrew Luck he'll be the best QB to come out of this draft because Cam is a winner! Plus, IMAGINE his potential with Harbaugh as his mentor! **drools all over keyboard**

So who's on board??!

A good article explaining some of his past

[ Edited by SourdoughDan on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:05:27 ]
Newton is gonna be a project. I'm not gonna say he is gonna be a bad qb but he will need some time to become a better passer before he realizes consistent success in the nfl. He is not a guy thats gonna start right away. I don't think he is what the 49ers need because this team is ready to win now. They cant wait 3-5 years for Newton to become a better passer. The same goes for Locker IMO.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Newton is gonna be a project. I'm not gonna say he is gonna be a bad qb but he will need some time to become a better passer before he realizes consistent success in the nfl. He is not a guy thats gonna start right away. I don't think he is what the 49ers need because this team is ready to win now. They cant wait 3-5 years for Newton to become a better passer. The same goes for Locker IMO.

I think the same can be said for every QB not named Andrew Luck, but Cam has a leg up on the others because he is so physically imposing. The NFL isn't going to be too big for him. Look at what Josh Freeman is accomplishing after being another guy who would need 3-5 years. Point is, I wouldn't bet against Cam, he's got that "it" factor you see in winning quarterbacks.
I'm on this one and the Gabbert one
it would be very nice if we will sth like playoff contenders rightaway but i dont think so...so we will have at least one year to develop a rookie qb and it's the usual way to do so...it is NOT usual that rookie qb start from day one. stafford, ryan or sanchez are EXCEPTION of the rule and i do not consider sanchez as a very good QB right now...

@TE: we already have a big newton-thread, might not have a "bandwagon" in the title but should be enough for discussion...plz use the search function before u start a thread, from the next time on...it's annoying to look in 3 different thread which have the same topic. THANK YOU.

[ Edited by communist on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:12:55 ]
I've been on this muthaf**ka. Drafting Newton and finding a way to get either Palmer or McNabb sounds like a plan.
Originally posted by communist:
it would be very nice if we will sth like playoff contenders rightaway but i dont think so...so we will have at least one year to develop a rookie qb and it's the usual way to do so...it is NOT usual that rookie qb start from day one. stafford, ryan or sanchez are EXCEPTION of the rule and i do not consider sanchez as a very good QB right now...

@TE: we already have a big newton-thread, might not have a "bandwagon" in the title but should be enough for discussion...plz use the search function before u start a thread, from the next time on...it's annoying to look in 3 different thread which have the same topic. THANK YOU.

I did search thank you very much, but I felt his bandwagon deserved a new thread. Are you the newest mod here or what?
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

I think the same can be said for every QB not named Andrew Luck, but Cam has a leg up on the others because he is so physically imposing. The NFL isn't going to be too big for him. Look at what Josh Freeman is accomplishing after being another guy who would need 3-5 years. Point is, I wouldn't bet against Cam, he's got that "it" factor you see in winning quarterbacks.

You almost can say that about the other QBs but I think alot of the other QB's styles also translate better to the NFL than Cam's. Mallett imo is one of the qbs who's style translates better because he comes from a pro style offense. I don't like Locker because he is a one read and go and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. Even some of the later qbs like Andy Dalton have a very good understanding of the passing game that Cam doesn't yet. Cam's style of play reminds me of Vince Young. You say he is imposing and he is but as we learned this season, you are not gonna run over everybody in the NFL. I think Newton has alot to learn about the passing game before he is consistently successful. IMO he could be a QB similar to Steve McNair in his Titan days.
I've been riding the Harbaugh/Newton choo-choo train for months!
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

You almost can say that about the other QBs but I think alot of the other QB's styles also translate better to the NFL than Cam's. Mallett imo is one of the qbs who's style translates better because he comes from a pro style offense. I don't like Locker because he is a one read and go and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. Even some of the later qbs like Andy Dalton have a very good understanding of the passing game that Cam doesn't yet. Cam's style of play reminds me of Vince Young. You say he is imposing and he is but as we learned this season, you are not gonna run over everybody in the NFL. I think Newton has alot to learn about the passing game before he is consistently successful. IMO he could be a QB similar to Steve McNair in his Titan days.

VY and Steve McNair are good comps for him. Props, but you gotta give Cam a lot of credit for learning a system for the first time last spring and going on to win the Heisman and have the best passer efficiency rating in the country! That's impressive s**t! Mallet still scares me, he'll be a sitting duck in the NFL. I do like Andy Dalton and a few others, but the physically imposing thing Cam has going isn't to say he's gonna run through everyone every play. It's more of a confidence issue, where I don't think he'll be playing scared. He'll come in from day one and compete to the best of his ability and won't be held back like most rookies who are like " Holy s**t!! Those are some big, fast mothaf**kas!!!"

[ Edited by SourdoughDan on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:31:25 ]

• Chief
  • Veteran
Don't want anywhere near this wagon.
Originally posted by Chief:
Don't want anywhere near this wagon.

Care to explain why?
What if we got Orton or Palmer as interim QB while Newton is training and Nate Davis as third string QB?
If we get Harbaugh, I'm completely and totally onboard. IMO, as a former QB himself and recent college head coach, he has the best chance of relating to Cam and turning all of Newton's off-the-charts athleticism into a polished, top-rated NFL quarterback.
I have never seen Cam newton play--so I can't say---but I would trust Harbaugh-Baalke to make the correct choice on a QB.
Share 49ersWebzone