LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
If I remember correctly SY said he learned how to really throw the ball once he turned pro, but it took him several years to get to that point.
so confident scam wont be a 9er
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
And another thought Matt B and I agree on....

Quote:
[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
Any chance Harbaugh tries to mold Cam Newton's "Plutonium-Grade raw materials"?
Thursday March 24, 2011 11:50 Guest

MattB_49:
I thought that was very interesting. It's a month before a draft in which Harbaugh is expected to take a quarterback and he's lavishing -- absolutely heaping -- praise on Cam Newton. You know that BS Detector I had installed in my head a few years back? The needle started twitching like crazy when I read that ...

MattB dislikes Cam Newton - what else is new? He is just "thinking" what Harbaugh meant. The fact that we interviewed Cam at combine and were there at his pro-day is enough prove that there is some interest.

harbaugh wasnt there at his proday which is whats really important and were not calling him in for team workout only 2 teams in top 10 and 3 in top 12 didnt call him in and were one of those teams
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Quote:

MattB_49:
I thought that was very interesting. It's a month before a draft in which Harbaugh is expected to take a quarterback and he's lavishing -- absolutely heaping -- praise on Cam Newton. You know that BS Detector I had installed in my head a few years back? The needle started twitching like crazy when I read that ...

Or its he talking about the most talented and poised QB in college football. Newton was the lead player to help Auburn win it all, undefeated in the SEC. The guy was amazing to watch. Alot of people say hes like Vince Young but imho hes like a giant sized version of Steve Young. Will not accept defeat, which he proved vs top teams like Alabama, USC-Gamecocks, LSU, Oregon. Rare athletic talent, natural leadership and command performances in serious pressure situations really does show the kind of insane upside JH implies. If Newton is there at 7 theres no way Baalke and JH pass him up. I highly doubt that he does last till 7 tho. Which really really sucks imo. Newton would be insane under Harbaugh.

I can only hope that you are wrong and we will leave it at that.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Quote:

MattB_49:

MattB dislikes Cam Newton - what else is new? He is just "thinking" what Harbaugh meant. The fact that we interviewed Cam at combine and were there at his pro-day is enough prove that there is some interest.

harbaugh wasnt there at his proday which is whats really important and were not calling him in for team workout only 2 teams in top 10 and 3 in top 12 didnt call him in and were one of those teams

Thats the biggest hint that we are interested imo.

Quote:

MattB_49:

So then I guess we must be really interested in Ponder as well
Originally posted by 9erguy:

Quote:

MattB_49:

I wouldnt mind in using a 2nd on Ponder if his health checked out. Its usually a few days before draft day everything comes out. I think hes a fine QB if he can ever stay healthy.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:
NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brandt believes Auburn QB Cam Newton is the "real deal." Brandt also says Newton's character issues are overblown, and that he's far more grounded than his infamous "entertainer and icon" comments suggest. There's no doubt Newton's past is littered with questionable decisions, but he wouldn't be the first former head-case to turn into a model NFL citizen as he matures.
Originally posted by 9erguy:

Quote:

MattB_49:

I wouldnt mind in using a 2nd on Ponder if his health checked out. Its usually a few days before draft day everything comes out. I think hes a fine QB if he can ever stay healthy.

lol @ Ponder
Originally posted by submoa:
If I remember correctly SY said he learned how to really throw the ball once he turned pro, but it took him several years to get to that point.

Yeah it was after he joined the niners and acutally had some talent around him, and a coach that could unleash the beast inside of steve young!

this is what you call getting fired up

can't really start boning up properly for the NFL Draft until I get my Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview.

The publication made famous by the late, great Joel Buchsbaum is now written by Nolan Nawrocki, who does an amazingly thorough job on every imaginable prospect.

I got mine today. It's not kind to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Under the "Negatives" for Newton, Nawrocki details the on-field shortcomings. It's a lot of the same critiques we're familiar with: one-year producer, limited field vision, spotty accuracy.

But Nawrocki bludgeons Newton when he starts talking about his personality.

"Very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup," writes Nawrocki.

But Nawrocki was just warming up.

He continued, "Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law -- does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness -- is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

My guess is Nawrocki will not be attending the Cam Newton Draft Party.

How will this impact Newton? Well, even though PFW is highly respected, every team in the market for his services is going to do its own deep dive into his character and draw their own conclusions. But with words like these out there, Newton will have those to overcome in the next month before someone writes his name on a card and hands it to Roger Goodell.

http://www.csnne.com/03/28/11/Wicked-takedown-of-Newton-in-PFW-Draft-P/landing_patriots.html?blockID=492577&feedID=3946
This is interesting, Bills GM Buddy Nix has this to say about pre-draft comments from teams:

“There’s an unwritten rule that it’s not a sin to tell a lie during pre-draft stuff,” Nix said. “Everybody does it, it’s accepted, so everything you read or hear or see, you need to keep in mind that about 10 percent of it is the truth.”

Nothing surprising we all knew this anyway it was just interesting that a GM would actually say this... Then today Clayton has an article on the draft and has a quote on QBs fro Harbaugh:

"The ability to make people miss as a quarterback is critical," Harbaugh said. "We've got quarterbacks in this draft like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker that not only will make people miss and avoid, but they can run and keep defenses out of certain coverages, which is quite the trait to have. And they can pick up first downs with their legs and keep the chains moving."

So I would just basically scratch these three guys off the list.

[ Edited by submoa on Mar 29, 2011 at 13:19:11 ]
This is interesting, Bills GM Buddy Nix has this to say about pre-draft comments from teams:

“There’s an unwritten rule that it’s not a sin to tell a lie during pre-draft stuff,” Nix said. “Everybody does it, it’s accepted, so everything you read or hear or see, you need to keep in mind that about 10 percent of it is the truth.”

Nothing surprising we all knew this anyway it was just interesting that a GM would actually say this... Then today Clayton has an article on the draft and has a quote on QBs fro Harbaugh:

"The ability to make people miss as a quarterback is critical," Harbaugh said. "We've got quarterbacks in this draft like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker that not only will make people miss and avoid, but they can run and keep defenses out of certain coverages, which is quite the trait to have. And they can pick up first downs with their legs and keep the chains moving."

Newton and Gabbert are likely moot points anyway since they won't be there at #7, but Locker is the kind of kid that coaches like Harbaugh love to work with. He's got all the skills in the world but needs a ton of coaching, polish and experience to bring it all together. Locker actually seems like the perfect "competitive challenge" for Harbaugh to take on, so I wouldn't just rule him out because one comment.

Other personnel have stated it before, he is not the first. Some years they are using the media to blow smoke up people's you know what. Then a couple years later what they say is exactly what they do.
Originally posted by lamontb:
this is what you call getting fired up

can't really start boning up properly for the NFL Draft until I get my Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview.

The publication made famous by the late, great Joel Buchsbaum is now written by Nolan Nawrocki, who does an amazingly thorough job on every imaginable prospect.

I got mine today. It's not kind to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Under the "Negatives" for Newton, Nawrocki details the on-field shortcomings. It's a lot of the same critiques we're familiar with: one-year producer, limited field vision, spotty accuracy.

But Nawrocki bludgeons Newton when he starts talking about his personality.

"Very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup," writes Nawrocki.

But Nawrocki was just warming up.

He continued, "Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law -- does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness -- is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

My guess is Nawrocki will not be attending the Cam Newton Draft Party.

How will this impact Newton? Well, even though PFW is highly respected, every team in the market for his services is going to do its own deep dive into his character and draw their own conclusions. But with words like these out there, Newton will have those to overcome in the next month before someone writes his name on a card and hands it to Roger Goodell.

http://www.csnne.com/03/28/11/Wicked-takedown-of-Newton-in-PFW-Draft-P/landing_patriots.html?blockID=492577&feedID=3946

This exactly why I don't want Cam. One of those gifted athletes, but will screw it up because to busy looking pretty than working to get the job done by improving his shortcomings. Don't want someone that will needs babysitting.
Share 49ersWebzone