There are 230 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I thought it was common knowledge that Mays wasn't going to see the field this year. I wasn't a big fan of the pick at the time, but I can see that he has some potential. It took Goldson 3 years before he saw the field and it has taken Reggie Smith 3 years as well before he even started to make in impact in TC.

Add that to the fact that Mays always had questionable coverage skills and you have what we have today.

I also believe Manusky prefers to take is slow with safeties because they play a big part in relaying pre-snap adjustments. In that regard they really have to know the whole defense and not just their own position.

So don't write him off just yet....

-9fA

Yeah I mean I just see him as a high pick so it's hard for me to compare him to a Goldson.

I just never liked the pick because I didn't see him making any impact in the short term which is what I wanted with a 2nd.

We'll see how it works out...but there's really no question that he doesn't have ball skills ATM...the most important skill you need as a S.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I thought it was common knowledge that Mays wasn't going to see the field this year. I wasn't a big fan of the pick at the time, but I can see that he has some potential. It took Goldson 3 years before he saw the field and it has taken Reggie Smith 3 years as well before he even started to make in impact in TC.

Add that to the fact that Mays always had questionable coverage skills and you have what we have today.

I also believe Manusky prefers to take is slow with safeties because they play a big part in relaying pre-snap adjustments. In that regard they really have to know the whole defense and not just their own position.

So don't write him off just yet....

-9fA

Yeah I mean I just see him as a high pick so it's hard for me to compare him to a Goldson.

I just never liked the pick because I didn't see him making any impact in the short term which is what I wanted with a 2nd.

We'll see how it works out...but there's really no question that he doesn't have ball skills ATM...the most important skill you need as a S.

I get your point and it's valid. It was a mid 2nd round pick, so I think it's ok to draft on potential. I think Mays has displayed enough work ethic to hopefully not turn into Balmer.

Also, you mentioned drafting Clausen over Mays. Looking back, I'm absolutely thrilled that we didn't draft him. If Singletary fails this year then that means Alex and Raye are out as well. I would 100 times rather prefer that the new HC bring in his own QB for their system. I would also say that I would prefer any of Luck, Locker or even Mallet over Clausen.

-9fA
We needed an immediate contributor, not a project. That said, I hope Mays succeeds but we could have used a cb with a good chance of starting.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
he needs to get in the game, at least in some special situational plays. We spent a second round pick on him and so he should play.

He needs to sit on the bench and learn, I don't care if he's a 2nd round pick that means nothing.

i don't think he needs to learn much to run on a blitz.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
he needs to get in the game, at least in some special situational plays. We spent a second round pick on him and so he should play.

He needs to sit on the bench and learn, I don't care if he's a 2nd round pick that means nothing.

i don't think he needs to learn much to run on a blitz.

We really need Mays replace M.Lewis plsss.. M.Lewis can't hit so hard and too slow to run cuz he is too damn old!!

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Sep 18, 2010 at 17:31:03 ]
Wasted pick. If he were even half way decent, he'd be starting over M Lewis. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm expecting ZERO impact from him (sucks cuz he's a 2nd round pick).

Not getting playing time over an entrenched veteran starter is not a sign of lack of talent or a "wasted pick" as you put it, it's a coach's decision, by the same coaching staff that decided to give Brian Westbrook zero burn last week as well.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Mays is not ready to play coverage wise. I look for him to start making plays in special teams. Maybe later on in the year we can see him in coverage but IMO Mays will the starter next year, next to Goldson or Smith

Have you seen our other starting DBs in coverage? You know, the seasoned vets who keep jumping routes on double moves?

The secondary needs new blood in the worst way...none of the entrenched starters are Pro-Bowl caliber guys. We should be giving time to Adams and Mays.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by backontop:
Didn't Mays get an interception in the preseason? Yes I understand it was preseason, but when was the last time Lewis had an interception in the preseason or regular season???? So who is the one that struggles in coverage here?

Last year vs Chicago.

Even Roman got a pick that day. I think Cutler just felt bad for the old timer.
Originally posted by kray28:
Mays is not ready to play coverage wise. I look for him to start making plays in special teams. Maybe later on in the year we can see him in coverage but IMO Mays will the starter next year, next to Goldson or Smith

Have you seen our other starting DBs in coverage? You know, the seasoned vets who keep jumping routes on double moves?

The secondary needs new blood in the worst way...none of the entrenched starters are Pro-Bowl caliber guys. We should be giving time to Adams and Mays.

Good comment. We want Mays immediately

Mays is going to see the field alot this monday with only 3 healthy DB;s
Originally posted by kray28:

The secondary needs new blood in the worst way...none of the entrenched starters are Pro-Bowl caliber guys. We should be giving time to Adams and Mays.[/quote]

Yes.. i agree it that we need giving time to Mays when he will learn the quick with the process time. He will be good for sure!
Leather face is a jack A$%W^#&@#E#
Wasted pick. If he were even half way decent, he'd be starting over M Lewis. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm expecting ZERO impact from him (sucks cuz he's a 2nd round pick).

you expect every 2nd round pick to start right away?

the way i see it is this..first and second round picks you want to help the team right away, usually first rounders in a starting role, but not necessarily and within 2 years they should be bonafide starters

mays is a project, he played too close to the line of scrimmage at usc, but his physical skills are undeniable, a little patience, this kid could be good, but you cant expect him to displace a 9th year vet right away

also, browsing through this years second round picks, i dont see many starters right now...maybe rob gronkowski, dunno if hes considered the starting te in ne...hes the only one i see there, please correct if im wrong...
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Didn't Mays get an interception in the preseason? Yes I understand it was preseason, but when was the last time Lewis had an interception in the preseason or regular season???? So who is the one that struggles in coverage here?

Last year vs Chicago.

Even Roman got a pick that day. I think Cutler just felt bad for the old timer.

lol
Originally posted by Avants49:
Leather face is a jack A$%W^#&@#E#

i agree