There are 238 users in the forums

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
A conditional 3rd round pick or 4th rounder for Mays sounds about right. With Baalke in charge this year, they ended up with Kendall Hunter in the 4th which looks like a steal at this point. Even Culliver has not looked bad at CB with their 3rd round pick. Nice work, Baalke and coaching staff! Get rid of the dead wood and get something for the future.

And we have more cap room.
Originally posted by susweel:
Call it what you want, he had the final say on the draft.

Its unfortunate that Sing b***h slapped him.

No, he didn't.
Its not a big deal, we drafted him and it didnt work out, so instead of cutting him we traded him for a pick.
Baalke turned a mid 2nd round pick into something that he doesn't want to "disclose" in one year.

Great job GM work.

He wasn't GM when Mays was picked. You do know that, right?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Baalke turned a mid 2nd round pick into something that he doesn't want to "disclose" in one year.

Great job GM work.

Yes but he did run the draft.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Great job GM work.

Yes but he did run the draft.

No. Singletary had final say on every pick. He had control over the roster as he had written in his contract.
great article on why he was traded.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/why-taylor-mays-is-no-longer-a-49er.html
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
great article on why he was traded.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/why-taylor-mays-is-no-longer-a-49er.html

• A little stiff
• Did not play fast
• Not a quick-twitch athlete
• Not sudden, has "build-up" speed
• Did not play the ball as a deep safety
• Played in slow motion
• Not a good wrap-up tackler
So it's assumable we got a 3rd round pick back that's probably going to turn into another 2nd round pick in 2012 (cause the Bengals are gonna crash), right?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @ricky_ge_68 what's point in not disclosing pick we received? > 49ers traded 2nd-rd pick of 2010. Can't be proud of what was received.

Either that or the terms are disclosed until the trade is finalized. This way the deal does not come unraveled and one team ends up pulling out. I would say either we got a good deal and we don't want the media to say wtf are you doing Cincinnati and cause them to back out or we got a bad deal and want to delay the release of the collective scream.

I'll be optimistic :)

Originally posted by Shorteous:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @ricky_ge_68 what's point in not disclosing pick we received? > 49ers traded 2nd-rd pick of 2010. Can't be proud of what was received.

Either that or the terms are disclosed until the trade is finalized. This way the deal does not come unraveled and one team ends up pulling out. I would say either we got a good deal and we don't want the media to say wtf are you doing Cincinnati and cause them to back out or we got a bad deal and want to delay the release of the collective scream.

It's gotta be in our favor, cause we turned down a measly 7th rounder from the Bears about a week ago.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

If I remember correctly McDouche was let go 2 to 3 weeks before the draft

Yep, there was also cameras in the Niners war room and from the way it looked, Singletary picked Mays. Baalke didn't look too happy about it either.

Like I said, either he made the pick OR he wasn't in control of the draft he was said to be in control of. Interim GM is still acting GM.

But I think you all are right in saying this was Sing's pick. Although I disagree that it was in his contract. Roster control means he makes cuts, not draft picks.

The thing is, I don't think it's okay to just let the organization off the hook because Singletary is no longer there.

You can't fire your GM (for reasons no one disclosed and apparently are not issues for the team he now works for), appoint a scout to be interim GM, but then let the coach make picks over the interim GM, and then promote that same interim GM you didn't let run the draft into a permanent GM role. That's a dysfunctional franchise.

Does it really seem like York thinks Baalke is the best evaluator of talent if he wouldn't even let him run the draft as acting GM?

I feel like people are acting like this is something that just happened to the 49ers. Like it was bad luck. When in fact, this is a symptom of the 9ers being very poorly run at the top of the organization.

Okay, I'm done ranting now....
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco

It's gotta be in our favor, cause we turned down a measly 7th rounder from the Bears about a week ago.

I didn't know the offer from the Bears was ever reported
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

If I remember correctly McDouche was let go 2 to 3 weeks before the draft

Yep, there was also cameras in the Niners war room and from the way it looked, Singletary picked Mays. Baalke didn't look too happy about it either.

Like I said, either he made the pick OR he wasn't in control of the draft he was said to be in control of. Interim GM is still acting GM.

But I think you all are right in saying this was Sing's pick. Although I disagree that it was in his contract. Roster control means he makes cuts, not draft picks.

The thing is, I don't think it's okay to just let the organization off the hook because Singletary is no longer there.

You can't fire your GM (for reasons no one disclosed and apparently are not issues for the team he now works for), appoint a scout to be interim GM, but then let the coach make picks over the interim GM, and then promote that same interim GM you didn't let run the draft into a permanent GM role. That's a dysfunctional franchise.

Does it really seem like York thinks Baalke is the best evaluator of talent if he wouldn't even let him run the draft as acting GM?

I feel like people are acting like this is something that just happened to the 49ers. Like it was bad luck. When in fact, this is a symptom of the 9ers being very poorly run at the top of the organization.

Okay, I'm done ranting now....

The crux of your argument relies on the idea that the final say didn't go to Singletary during the draft.

There is evidence of Baalke and Singletary not being on the same page during the draft, since there was video of them arguing right before the Mays pick. Baalke obviously didn't want the guy, yet they picked him anyway. There are only two ways in which that could happen, 1.) Singletary just overpowered him and Baalke backed down like a coward, or 2.) Baalke didn't have the final say so Singletary got his way. I forget well, but it has been documented that Singletary did have the final say in his contract (if someone could find this I would appreciate it).

Technically Baalke didn't even have the title of GM or interim GM for that year, he retained his previous title and just fulfilled the day-to-day jobs that a GM would perform.

By the way, McC's alcoholism and family issues have been well documented off the record. They used his board for the draft, since they didn't have enough time to make a new board before hand.
The crux of your argument relies on the idea that the final say didn't go to Singletary during the draft.

There is evidence of Baalke and Singletary not being on the same page during the draft, since there was video of them arguing right before the Mays pick. Baalke obviously didn't want the guy, yet they picked him anyway. There are only two ways in which that could happen, 1.) Singletary just overpowered him and Baalke backed down like a coward, or 2.) Baalke didn't have the final say so Singletary got his way. I forget well, but it has been documented that Singletary did have the final say in his contract (if someone could find this I would appreciate it).

Technically Baalke didn't even have the title of GM or interim GM for that year, he retained his previous title and just fulfilled the day-to-day jobs that a GM would perform.

By the way, McC's alcoholism and family issues have been well documented off the record. They used his board for the draft, since they didn't have enough time to make a new board before hand.

????
Share 49ersWebzone