LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
(insert powers boothe/curly bill tombstone pic)

well...bye.

.." you smell that johny ? smells like some one died "

"You wretched slugs, don't any ya have the guts to play for blood?"

"I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game."

Doc holliday is badass. He needs his thread.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

If I remember correctly McDouche was let go 2 to 3 weeks before the draft

Yep, there was also cameras in the Niners war room and from the way it looked, Singletary picked Mays. Baalke didn't look too happy about it either.
.." you smell that johny ? smells like some one died "

taylor mays ain't no daisy. he ain't no daisy at all!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by toeknee:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
list of players taken after Mays:

Arenas, Javier CB
Gerhart, Toby RB
Worilds, Jason DE
Cunningham, Jermaine DE
Dunlap, Carlos DE
Lee, Sean LB
Neal, Mike DT
Cody, Terrence DT
Tate, Ben RB
Hardesty, Montario RB
Tate, Golden WR
Ducasse, Vlad OT
Spikes, Brandon LB
Angerer, Pat LB
Brown, Charles OT

Ouch...
I wanted arenas

I was actually happy with the Mays pick, but wanted Morgan Burnett more. Burnett I felt was 2nd round worthy. But I remember Maiocco saying Nate Allen was who the 9ers were targeting in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I was actually happy with the Mays pick, but wanted Morgan Burnett more. Burnett I felt was 2nd round worthy. But I remember Maiocco saying Nate Allen was who the 9ers were targeting in the 2nd round.

I thought Burnett was too small, but he's doing well. If he stays relatively healthy through his career, I'll accept that he avoided Bob Sanders disease. Nate Allen would have been sweet. Allen and Whitner this year?
Pft just posted a story on how allen isnt fully recovered from his injury
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

Yup, Singletry had roster control written into his contract. That's probably what drove McLoughan to drink himself out of a job in the first place.
Originally posted by toeknee:
Pft just posted a story on how allen isnt fully recovered from his injury

Sucks. That kid was impressive against the run and the pass. Great instincts.
i wouldve taken a fat out of shape terrence cody over freaking mays
A conditional 3rd round pick or 4th rounder for Mays sounds about right. With Baalke in charge this year, they ended up with Kendall Hunter in the 4th which looks like a steal at this point. Even Culliver has not looked bad at CB with their 3rd round pick. Nice work, Baalke and coaching staff! Get rid of the dead wood and get something for the future.

Has everyone forgotten the circus that the "GM Search " created ??
before the whole "Harbaugh Watch" started, The team needed to hire a GM first.

Baalke was not the GM last year. He was filling in for Scott but it was obvious ( atleast to me ) that Sing had control of the draft and personell.

This is Baalkes real 1st year as GM and by all accounts, it looks like he's doing a hell of a job so far.

I agree. I have been very happy with his handling of the draft, free agency, roster, and budgets, etc. I think over the next couple years, the roster will really take shape.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'm never a fan of giving up on higher round picks so fast but it just seems like he wasn't really going to progress here. A could deal for him tho, better than a 5th or 6th like I was thinking
Originally posted by Paul:
I'm never a fan of giving up on higher round picks so fast but it just seems like he wasn't really going to progress here. A could deal for him tho, better than a 5th or 6th like I was thinking

From the way Harbaugh described the situation, it doesn't sound like Fangio ad Harbaugh thought much of Mays. Coaches don't care about cap numbers, salaries, etc., they merely want to put the best product on the field
they're going to be horrible. high 3rd round? that's almost our 2nd we gave up, drafting him
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So much for Baalke not knowing what he was doing once again...a 4th/conditional 3rd is a pretty good haul for a player who could only make it in a preseason game in garbage time.

Especiallly since the Bengals will likely have a top 10 (maybe top 5) pick. If he does play enough we could end up getting a very high 3rd round pick for him.
Share 49ersWebzone