There are 110 users in the forums

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

31% folks on this poll could be racist.

That was a joke.
Jimmy Garoppolo
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Debryune:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I'm not sold on either. I'd take Wentz or Luck

I still don't get the love, or hype for Luck. I guess, if he ever was surrounded by actual talent, he might shine a little brighter though.

He's looked amazing this year. After two years of not playing.

He finally has a pretty good oline and the defense is playing hard...doing this with only TY Hilton and a couple of TEs, run game is alright.
I hate the Chiefs therefor I voted for OUR guy.
I live in Chief's territory and If one more guy comes up to me when I'm wearing my SF cap and says "ya'll spelt KC wrong. heh heh heh" I'm going to go off.
It would have to be Mahomes right now. Jimmy G will have missed more games due to injury than Tom Brady has in his whole career by season end. He needs to protect himself. Mahomes has the best TE, and most explosive wide receiver in the league, and a very good offensive line. They have dropped off after releasing Hunt. The problem with KC is they have a summertime offense, and it will struggle some when the weather gets worse even in KC. If Jimmy G was healthy it would be a better comparison. Factoring in money makes it a total no brainer
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just wonder what the voting results would be if on any other teams website or an ESPN poll. 99.9% for Mahomes? I guess its telling that even on a 49er webzone with some devoted Niners Homers its still 69% for Mahomes.

One guy has been hurt more weeks than he has started in the NFL. The other will be the MVP of the NFL and easily has the best arm we have seen in years. Like you say, it shouldnt even be a debate.

This
Just embarrassing that some fans can't even appreciate greatness if it doesn't reside in a Niner uniform. For the record, Mahomes has a high football IQ. He isn't a Kap or Wilson style backyard playground QB. Just because he gets flushed due to pressure and has to make wild throws on the move doesn't mean he isn't executing Reid's offense to a tee. He has routinely shredded defenses from the pocket, disguised coverages, pre-snap protections, all of it he has mastered for a second-year player first-year starter.

He has a photographic memory and Reid grilled him for 5 hours before they drafted him on play concepts and play calling retention, etc. He doesn't just have a rocket arm, he has the cerebral part down quicker and better than anyone his age and/or experience level.

The proof is in the pudding.

You think a QB can throw for that many passing yards and TDs and yet have a really low int percentage while only starting 13 games????

Jimmy G, if he was on the Chiefs, would have double the ints Mahomes has. And Mahomes has proven his talented team consisting of a hobbled Hill and a doubled Kelce is all he needs to beat the best defense in the league. So no his weapons aren't doing it all for him. Give Mahomes New Orleans Oline, Steelers or Falcons Receivers, Giants/Ravens/Cowboys running game and dude would simply destroy.

Mahomes was pressured on 33 of his 57 dropbacks Sunday, the most dropbacks under duress by any quarterback in the last 10 seasons. Mahomes was 16-of-30 when pressured for 210 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
Mahomes beat the Ravens' blitz, finishing 16-of-22 for 180 yards and a touchdown when the Ravens sent five or more pass-rushers, including his game-saving, fourth-down, 48-yard pass to Tyreek Hill late in the game and his tying touchdown pass to Damien Williams in the final minute of the fourth quarter.

So basically the Ravens, a.k.a. the #1 ranked passing defense heading into Sunday's game, threw every exotic blitz and scheme at Mahomes imaginable, showed him cover-0 multiple times and Mahomes still shredded them for 377 yards passing without one of his starting WR's, with another starting WR hobbled, with his new #1 RB hobbled and his starting left guard hobbled.

Nothing he is doing is a fluke. No way Jimmy G is even close to Mahomes level. Whether physical talent or mental cerebral. Neither.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Probably Jimmy.

Mahomes and Reid do a BOATLOAD of safe screen passes. They bore you to death then cry for penalties. When the game is out of reach then they'll throw the bombs.

Without KHunt they are struggling. They had to take the Tim Tebo..er...L. Jackson Ravens into overtime

This is my thinking as well. Jimmy Garoppolo can look great with no help around him yet Patrick Mahomes has great players all around him. Pro bowlers up the ass, a much better team around him. A lot more wide-open throws and safe throws. I would go with the quicker release, better accuracy and better pocket passing of Jimmy Garoppolo Although I really like Patrick Mahomes I just know that he would struggle mightily on the Niners. I think these two quarterbacks are going to be in the top five pretty soon, Patrick Mahomes is almost there in my opinion
Originally posted by pdfortune:
It would have to be Mahomes right now. Jimmy G will have missed more games due to injury than Tom Brady has in his whole career by season end. He needs to protect himself. Mahomes has the best TE, and most explosive wide receiver in the league, and a very good offensive line. They have dropped off after releasing Hunt. The problem with KC is they have a summertime offense, and it will struggle some when the weather gets worse even in KC. If Jimmy G was healthy it would be a better comparison. Factoring in money makes it a total no brainer

Damn, that's nuts.
Mahomes by a zillion miles.

• dj43
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by dj43:
The obvious choice right now is Mahomes. However, if a healthy Garoppolo were the KC QB right now, there is not doubt he could put up some awesome numbers as well. I can't recall any team in the past 10-15 years that has had the depth in quality offensive weapons KC has right now. That crew is epic.

It will be fun watching a lot of these young QBs in the coming years to see how they adjust to the league in their second and third years.

This depth of quality weapons that you constantly gush over is basically Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. They lost their star running back, their #2 WR is as injury prone as they come. Granted, most teams dont have a Kelce/Hill combo, but to say this is the best collection of offensive weapons in the last 10-15 years is truly ridiculous IMO.

So give us a team that had more.

Watkins has done well when healthy. Conley is a big target who would start on a lot of teams. Ware was a top 20 RB before Hunt arrived. Hill and Kelce are just freaks.

The fact they lost Hunt but Ware put up 125+ total yards shows how loaded they are.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The obvious choice right now is Mahomes. However, if a healthy Garoppolo were the KC QB right now, there is not doubt he could put up some awesome numbers as well. I can't recall any team in the past 10-15 years that has had the depth in quality offensive weapons KC has right now. That crew is epic.

It will be fun watching a lot of these young QBs in the coming years to see how they adjust to the league in their second and third years.

This depth of quality weapons that you constantly gush over is basically Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. They lost their star running back, their #2 WR is as injury prone as they come. Granted, most teams dont have a Kelce/Hill combo, but to say this is the best collection of offensive weapons in the last 10-15 years is truly ridiculous IMO.

So give us a team that had more.

Watkins has done well when healthy. Conley is a big target who would start on a lot of teams. Ware was a top 20 RB before Hunt arrived. Hill and Kelce are just freaks.

The fact they lost Hunt but Ware put up 125+ total yards shows how loaded they are.

I would agree with your original quote, dj if Mahomes threw higher percentage of his passes from the pocket, but I have seen Mahomes escape, scramble and throw incredible passes too often this year. I have not seen JG make those kinds of throws.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 12, 2018 at 8:49 AM ]
Too much homerism going around. Open the question up to ANY qb right now in college or the pros you'd want to build your team around and its hands down Mahomes. There really is no other answer if you know anything about the state of QB play today.
Originally posted by 49erminion:
Too much homerism going around. Open the question up to ANY qb right now in college or the pros you'd want to build your team around and its hands down Mahomes. There really is no other answer if you know anything about the state of QB play today.

I'll go with Luck. But agree with the sentiment
Kermit for sure
Share 49erswebzone