There are 180 users in the forums

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I'm interested to see how D coordinators choose to go after Mahomes after an off season.

This.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol wow

Mahomes easily.

This. The vote would be 99.99% if this poll was on any other teams website. I guess those that say JG dont care that Mahomes is 4 years younger, isnt coming off a serious injury, and has the best arm in the league. Love Jimmy G but come on.

I'm not sure there reasons, but it isn't that clear cut. Jimmy G has proven he essentially has a LeBron James like effect on this team in that he can take what is clear the worse team in the league (and we have 2 years of data to back that up) and make them look like they are playoff caliber. Patrick Mahommes has taken a playoff team and made them look Super. Remember, the question says if you are starting a franchise. We don't get to take their teams along with the quarterbacks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol wow

Mahomes easily.

This. The vote would be 99.99% if this poll was on any other teams website. I guess those that say JG dont care that Mahomes is 4 years younger, isnt coming off a serious injury, and has the best arm in the league. Love Jimmy G but come on.

Anyone else seeing parallels between the recent established best arm talent in the NFL and a Patriots QB?

This might be a redux of that and I'll take it all day!

Look, there's going to be JG bias especially since he's a Niner who has played well for our team. But just remember that while Mahomes is playing very well, it's understood he has some of the best offensive talent in the NFL and that Reid offense is extra tailored for him. Like some commentator said "the Chiefs operate a more normal offense on 3rd down where the trickery cannot be used".

To me Mahomes style of play looks like a 30% more refined 2012 Kaepernick with better weapons and better OC. Kap himself I'm pretty sure threw more TDs and probably less INTs than Garoppolo over same amount of games, and most of those TDs were flashy ones too.

So while I'm not saying Mahomes will be anything like later years Kap, his style of success is similar to his 2012 campaign substituting more impressive throwing in exchange for the runs.

We saw the Bears defense come for real against the Rams......we already saw the Patriots take down Mahomes. He hasn't proven he's elite yet....just because of his experience.

I'm honestly a lot more worried about how you build a team than whether Mahomes really is better than Garoppolo. At a certain level, you win Super Bowls with top QBs, but who wins the most is dependent on other factors. If Garoppolo was on any playoff team right now, people would be scared to play against him.

We'll know the answer to a good extent sometime next year or 2020.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 11, 2018 at 5:23 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
I'm interested to see how D coordinators choose to go after Mahomes after an off season.

This.

They're already getting to him.

He's very good, but I don't see him getting past a great defense this postseason.

And then next year, it gets real.
Jimmy hasn't proven he can even survive a season healthy....
Wow, figured the homers would've swayed this poll to jimmy.
I love Jimmy G, but Mahomes is the obvious choice. He's younger and putting together an MVP year, even if he sounds like Kermit the Frog.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Jimmy hasn't proven he can even survive a season healthy....

This, and I'm not sold on Jimmy G.
I'm not sold on either. I'd take Wentz or Luck
Hmmm hard choice one is league mvp candidate with great numbers and talent level of a young brett farve. The other choice is a guy with mediocre numbers who seems to be injury prone.

Is contract also in consideration ?

I still don't get the love, or hype for Luck. I guess, if he ever was surrounded by actual talent, he might shine a little brighter though.
I'll go ahead and say it.....

if Alex Smith can go to the playoffs and be considered an MVP candidate midway in the season with that Chiefs team, any mediocre QB can.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I'll go ahead and say it.....

if Alex Smith can go to the playoffs and be considered an MVP candidate midway in the season with that Chiefs team, any mediocre QB can.
Uh oh....

#TRIGGERED
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm not sure there reasons, but it isn't that clear cut. Jimmy G has proven he essentially has a LeBron James like effect on this team in that he can take what is clear the worse team in the league (and we have 2 years of data to back that up) and make them look like they are playoff caliber. Patrick Mahommes has taken a playoff team and made them look Super. Remember, the question says if you are starting a franchise. We don't get to take their teams along with the quarterbacks.

This. It isn't that clear cut. It's a tough question regardless because they've both only played a limited number of games. Garoppolo is 8-2 total as a starter and Mahomes is 11-2 so they've both made an immediate impact. Still, they're both at the early stages of their careers experience-wise. I'll be curious to see how Mahomes does as the league makes adjustments against him - especially in Year 2 of him being a starter.

They both have shown the "it" factor of a playmaking QB that you want leading your franchise, one that can lift up a team and make everyone around him better. One thing that's a huge benefit in Jimmy's favor: He's had the incredible opportunity for over three+ years to study & learn from two of the best to ever be in the NFL in Brady & Belichick. He's seen firsthand how Brady prepares for teams, how he makes adjustments to what the league throws at him, how he leads a team, and how he flat-out competes in each and every game. Brady is one of the fiercest competitors at the QB position that I've seen over the past 40 years.

With Belichick, Jimmy's had the coaching & tutelage from one of the best to ever be a HC - some would say the best (although during my lifetime, Walsh was tough to beat). Jimmy had over three years to soak in that coaching and, in my opinion, this will serve him extremely well over the long run of his NFL career as he continues to improve. And we've all heard Belichick's thoughts about Jimmy, especially when the time came where he had to part ways with him after the trade. To me, Belichick's words spoke volumes of Jimmy as a person and also his abilities - both on and off the field - along with his potential to continuously improve going forward.

Now, Jimmy has Kyle to work with. It's all still a work in progress but it's only going to get better and better the more they work together along with some added playmakers around Jimmy.
Originally posted by Debryune:

I still don't get the love, or hype for Luck. I guess, if he ever was surrounded by actual talent, he might shine a little brighter though.

He's looked amazing this year. After two years of not playing.
Share 49erswebzone