LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Starting your NFL franchise today, would you take Jimmy Garoppolo or Patrick Mahomes?

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Again, it isn't so clear cut. Mahomet has looked phenomenal. One of the greatest seasons ever and an MVP candidate.

But we are talking about starting a team. When you start a team, you won't have great players everywhere. We see who we are without Jimmy G. Who are the Chiefs without Patrick Mahomnes? A playoff squad with an outside chance of winning a Super Bowl.

If their backup is still Chad Henne I don't fancy their chances of winning anything without Mahomes.

Do you think that is a 3-10 team with Henne? He's done better with worse talent in this league.

For the record. I'd still pick Mahommes, but Jimmy ain't chopped liver and is clearly a miracle worker in his own right.

Your post finds the Chiefs without Mahomes to be a playoff squad with an outside chance of winning a Superbowl. With Henne I cant see that. 3-10? Not sure where I said that.

The idea that the Chiefs would be a playoff team with a chance of winning the Superbowl without Mahomes is just insane. I seriously have no idea how someone could truly believe that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Again, it isn't so clear cut. Mahomet has looked phenomenal. One of the greatest seasons ever and an MVP candidate.

But we are talking about starting a team. When you start a team, you won't have great players everywhere. We see who we are without Jimmy G. Who are the Chiefs without Patrick Mahomnes? A playoff squad with an outside chance of winning a Super Bowl.

If their backup is still Chad Henne I don't fancy their chances of winning anything without Mahomes.

Do you think that is a 3-10 team with Henne? He's done better with worse talent in this league.

For the record. I'd still pick Mahommes, but Jimmy ain't chopped liver and is clearly a miracle worker in his own right.

Your post finds the Chiefs without Mahomes to be a playoff squad with an outside chance of winning a Superbowl. With Henne I cant see that. 3-10? Not sure where I said that.

The idea that the Chiefs would be a playoff team with a chance of winning the Superbowl without Mahomes is just insane. I seriously have no idea how someone could truly believe that.

The Nick Foles of the world are the outliers.

SB teams need to be healthy AND good. Health is the #1 component for a SB run.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Their D wasn't that bad for most of the night (2 ints / 5 sacks). Reid is an elite offense-minded HC. You're right about the health factor, anything could happen in the playoffs. It could be tough to count them out with or w/out Mahomes when the other key players are healthy.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Their D wasn't that bad for most of the night (2 ints / 5 sacks). Reid is an elite offense-minded HC. You're right about the health factor, anything could happen in the playoffs. It could be tough to count them out with or w/out Mahomes when the other key players are healthy.

I agree with Steve on this. The Chiefs would have no chance in the playoffs without Mahomes.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by dj43:

Buck and Aikman were talking about KC's poor playoff performance over the years, and it has not been good. However, injuries have played a big part in that.

I'm saying with Henme starting on the Chiefs, I don't see them as a 3-10 team, which is what we are. Just trying to underscore Jimny G effect, which I said earlier is almost LeBron James like. It remains to be seen if Jimmy can make this team a legit Super Bowl contender, but he's so good some people thought this team had a chance.

Without Jimmy, we are a bottom 5 team and that has been proven over 2 years. Considering all of that, I can see why some would pick our QB and it isn't just because they are homers.
I'm saying with Henme starting on the Chiefs, I don't see them as a 3-10 team, which is what we are. Just trying to underscore Jimny G effect, which I said earlier is almost LeBron James like. It remains to be seen if Jimmy can make this team a legit Super Bowl contender, but he's so good some people thought this team had a chance.

Without Jimmy, we are a bottom 5 team and that has been proven over 2 years. Considering all of that, I can see why some would pick our QB and it isn't just because they are homers.
Do you honestly think there would be one GM in all of football that would take Jimmy over Mahomes given that Jimmy is 4 years older, coming off a serious injury, and obviously doesnt have the physical ability that Mahomes has?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Do you honestly think there would be one GM in all of football that would take Jimmy over Mahomes given that Jimmy is 4 years older, coming off a serious injury, and obviously doesnt have the physical ability that Mahomes has?

I don't know a GM, but Shanny liked Cousins over everyone else

I said myself earlier I'd pick Mahommes, so no need to ask me what other GMs would do. My only point was that, I can see why some people would pick Jimmy.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I don't know a GM, but Shanny liked Cousins over everyone else

You have absolutely no idea if this is correct or not. Over everyone else? Cmon man. Maybe over everyone he thought might be available....which is a list consisting of any 2018 free agent, 2018 draft pick or QB traded before 2018 began. If that is the statement you want to believe, I wont argue. But to claim that Shanny liked Cousins over everyone is conjecture at best. Probably completely inaccurate, but I dont have that knowledge.

• titan
  • Veteran
Nothing against Jimmy. What Mahomes is doing for the KC offense...there's nothing else you can really ask for in a QB position.
I said myself earlier I'd pick Mahommes, so no need to ask me what other GMs would do. My only point was that, I can see why some people would pick Jimmy.
and I cant. I honestly cant think of one reason why to be honest. Having said that, I love what JG did for the Niners and am truly excited to see what he can do next year over an entire season. But, I would trade him for Mahomes and never give it a second thought.
and I cant. I honestly cant think of one reason why to be honest. Having said that, I love what JG did for the Niners and am truly excited to see what he can do next year over an entire season. But, I would trade him for Mahomes and never give it a second thought.

I've seen far worse decision making from GMs and people on this board.
Share 49ersWebzone