LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief WR

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
He's a body catcher. He doesn't extend with his hands, so it completely negates his size.

I don't think he's a body catcher. That's just luck dropping it right in the bread basket or hitting him right on the chest. He made jump ball catches when he needed to. If he had a qb like Eli who overthrows it, you'd see a lot more jump ball catches.

Just go back and watch his tape. He constantly allowed the ball into his chest, rather than reaching out and grabbing it at its high point. He's not confident in his hands. At this point, I'm not sure that ever changes. If rather get a big body in the draft who uses their hands. Ateman has been brought up and he is a good example of a hands catcher.

It might be easier to get Moncrief to catch consistently with his hands than it would be to get Ate man to run really fast.

Most guys who body catch do so because they have bad confidence, not bad hands. It's likely fixable, if he wants to fix it.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Just watched some of his highlights and saw plenty of hands catches. Definitely nowhere near as bad as Davis and he had a decent amount of jump ball catches in the end zone.

He won't be expensive and would add a nice element to our WRs. And he's only 24? Definitely I'd take him. Since all the big names are tagged Id def go with him and hit the draft for another WR.
[ Edited by Antix on Feb 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM ]
He was one of my draft crushes.

Based on how he's played and developed & potential,

What are his pluses and minuses??
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

The Vernon comparison isnt terrible, but he's less Vernon than Vernon, in both his positives and negatives.

Plus: Very fast/strong/physical. Not the freak Vernon was.

Minus: bodies balls unnecessarily and occasionally throws in a needless timing hop to focus on the catch, surrendering some YAC. Doesn't do either nearly as often as Vernon.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
He's a body catcher. He doesn't extend with his hands, so it completely negates his size.

I don't think he's a body catcher. That's just luck dropping it right in the bread basket or hitting him right on the chest. He made jump ball catches when he needed to. If he had a qb like Eli who overthrows it, you'd see a lot more jump ball catches.

Just go back and watch his tape. He constantly allowed the ball into his chest, rather than reaching out and grabbing it at its high point. He's not confident in his hands. At this point, I'm not sure that ever changes. If rather get a big body in the draft who uses their hands. Ateman has been brought up and he is a good example of a hands catcher.

I have watched. And then I did again before I made my post. There were many body catches, because luck made perfect throws. There was no need for him to snatch them with his hands. Then when luck threw some high contested balls, he went up and grabbed them.

He's definitely not as aggressive as he should be. And he seems to play more like a speedy receiver than a possession receiver. But s**t, that could fit our offense. And the fact is, when you're a contender. Everybody plays much harder.

He's not perfect. Which is why he'd come at a discount
I have a feeling we sign this guy and he will be a Marquise Goodwin type (steal) signing for us.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I have a feeling we sign this guy and he will be a Marquise Goodwin type (steal) signing for us.

That's kind of what I'm anticipating too.

It would be funny if we came away with Moncrief, Davis, and Melvin all from the Colts...
Moncrief, when healthy, is a very talented kid. He just needs someone worthwhile throwing him the ball. Even T.Y. Hilton had an uncharacteristic year this past season. Career lows in touchdowns (4) and his lowest receiving yardage total since his rookie year.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

The Vernon comparison isnt terrible, but he's less Vernon than Vernon, in both his positives and negatives.

Plus: Very fast/strong/physical. Not the freak Vernon was.

Minus: bodies balls unnecessarily and occasionally throws in a needless timing hop to focus on the catch, surrendering some YAC. Doesn't do either nearly as often as Vernon.

Thanks!

Only 1 year older than Ridley and Ateman.
Originally posted by Heroism:

That's crazy !
Originally posted by Heroism:

Crazy. Too bad Allen Robinson wwasn't available...he's 24. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I am so out of the loop on these things....who posted what and what does it mean lol
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I am so out of the loop on these things....who posted what and what does it mean lol

Ha, our own D.J. Jones apparently is all for getting WR Dontae Moncrief. A fan had photoshopped a Niner jersey on him and posted it to which Jones replied, "That's a must!" (Free agent signing).
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone