There are 181 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'd do it for what the jets got edwards for, along with a contract extention! Remember, the Panthers are desperate for picks and their team blows!
Im rather fond of our two picks currently. Especially Carolina's because it is so high and could produce a younger star. No thanks.
Not gonna happen. Singletary is prepaired to sink or swim with the players he already has.

Bummer!
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.
Adam Schefter is a sabotage artist.
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

you really can't look at stats for 3-4 lineman, it ins't their job to get sacks, unless its a coverage sack! Their job is to hold the line, set the edge and stop the Rb! So a valid argument for Balmer is that we have done a good job against the run and a argument against him COULD be that we aren't demanding double teams or freeing up our LB's to get sacks, granted that could be the Lb's fault as well!

He hasn't been out there much to do anything. There are only 3 down linemen, he hasn't been able to get enough snaps to do anything because he's not one of the best 3.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Why would they want a bust defensive lineman and a WR in his 30s?
No, I think Carolina's pick will be top 20 and our's could be top 15 plus take into account how much Pepper is going to cost to re-sign and were going to have pay Patrick Willis huge money coming up, I don't the team should nor will do the trade.

I can see Peppers ending up in Green Bay, New England or even Dallas

[ Edited by PatrickJira411 on Oct 15, 2009 at 13:34:37 ]
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
No, I think Carolina's pick will be top 20 and our's could be top 15 plus take into account how much Pepper is going to cost to re-sign and were going to have pay Patrick Willis huge money coming up, I don't the team should nor will do the trade.

I can see Peppers ending up in Green Bay, New England or even Dallas

• Luca
  • Veteran
I would prefer to trade for Merriman, I think it makes more sence.
I live in NC and watch the Panthers regularly and most of my friends are Panthers fans. Panthers really want to dump Pep because of his recent lack of numbers (sacks and pressures). They also gripe about him making 1 mil per game. Pep would do much better in a 3-4 and he realizes that. He asked out earlier in preseason and is quietly playing out his contract in Carolina before moving on. If he is willing to play on the west coast (he's a lifetime east coaster) he still ahs the talent to impact the game on the defensive side of the ball. Peppers has basketball skills. He has speed and power. He can pursue and chase down. He can blow people up. Whats not to like? Now am I willing to give up what looks like a top 10-15 pick from Carolina to trade for him? I think I would. Id also work an angle to pick up an o-lineman.
That would be pure lunacy.

Trade a first rounder for a guy who you're not guaranteed to resign? Who we'll only have for 2/3 of a season? Who's never ever played in a 3-4 before? Plus we have to bring chemistry on defense into equation.

No way.

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.
We would be wasting a 1st round pick on a player that might walk away at the end of the year. Even giving a 3rd and a 5th pick for him would be a waste.

Wait until the offseason and then aggressive go after him and lock him up on a long term deal.

For all of you who say to 'go ahead and do it!', I'm glad you're not the GM of this team.
Share 49ersWebzone