LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
A 1st sounds a bit much to give up for Peppers. 3 years ago? Sure... but not now.
Also, why spend a 1st on someone we might be able to get next offseason for no draft picks?
trade him for a 3rd and a player maybe, but for a 1st rounder? no friggin' way
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

I don't think you understand the concept of the 3-4. DEs on the 3-4 don't get a ton of sacks, the OLBs do. Look at Pittsburgh's stats last year. Woodley and Harrison got 27.5 sacks together. Aaron Smith (DE) had 5.5 and Brett Kiesel (DE) had 1.

Originally posted by dj43:
Can he play offensive guard?

This.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I live in NC and watch the Panthers regularly and most of my friends are Panthers fans. Panthers really want to dump Pep because of his recent lack of numbers (sacks and pressures). They also gripe about him making 1 mil per game. Pep would do much better in a 3-4 and he realizes that. He asked out earlier in preseason and is quietly playing out his contract in Carolina before moving on. If he is willing to play on the west coast (he's a lifetime east coaster) he still ahs the talent to impact the game on the defensive side of the ball. Peppers has basketball skills. He has speed and power. He can pursue and chase down. He can blow people up. Whats not to like? Now am I willing to give up what looks like a top 10-15 pick from Carolina to trade for him? I think I would. Id also work an angle to pick up an o-lineman.

You must be insane! He's not worth a 1st round pick you gotta factor how much it would be to resign him on top of what your giving up? 49ers don't wanna pay 1 million a game to anyone look at clements that really backfired on us. Don't wanna make that mistake again.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I would put the trigger on that trade. I would give them. Kentwan Balmer, Arnez Battle, plus a 3th round pick.

BTW: What the hell is going on with Kentwan Balmer. He has 6 tackles and ZERO sacks this season so far. Scotty M should be on the hot seat big time over this pick anytime now. He would our 1st round pick at the 29th overall spot, and he has been less than silent. Very disappointed in this pick so far.

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.

I'm pretty happy with Joe Staley honestly.

Where we really messed up in that draft, not the Balmer pick but taking Rachal over DeSean Jackson. Especially since a really good LG for NO who I really wanted (Carl Nicks) was drafted much later.
Originally posted by Luca:
I would prefer to trade for Merriman, I think it makes more sence.

Go after an ex-superstar with bad knees... Right.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by vermonator:

First Round
29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

Second Round
1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston
3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma
7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame
8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

Maybe we could have taken Avery instead of Balmer but other than that pretty slim pickins. Can't really blame McClaughan except that we probably shouldn't of traded with the Pats in the first place.

I'm pretty happy with Joe Staley honestly.

Where we really messed up in that draft, not the Balmer pick but taking Rachal over DeSean Jackson. Especially since a really good LG for NO who I really wanted (Carl Nicks) was drafted much later.

I agree I really wanted Jackson! But getting crabs makes me feel a lil bit better!
Problems with this trade:

1. His contract will be up by the end of the year and he will be a non-restricted FA.

2. Peppers has clarified that he wants to go to a playoff team. (He's ensuing drama inside of Carolina's locker room, so that's the person we're getting.)

3. Peppers has never played in a 3-4, his body/cuts are built for a 4-3 (in the DE
position). I'm not saying he can't do it, but you really don't know what you're getting.

4. We need those first round draft picks bad. Really bad, specially if we trade out for more 2nd or 3rd round picks in the draft, this team has too many holes to fill, and Peppers can't play OT, OG, SS, or QB.

This is a trigger move you make in the off-season, anything mid-season will be idiotic desperation, something a stupid front-office like the Raiders would initiate.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 15, 2009 at 13:46:36 ]

• Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by Luca:
I would prefer to trade for Merriman, I think it makes more sence.

Go after an ex-superstar with bad knees... Right.

I think he will be fine myself.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I wouldn't make that move. I think Peppers best years are behind him.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Trade Alex for Vince, straight up. With this o-line, a mobile QB who wins games would be preferable.

Vince Young...seriously....seriously?

Vince Young is not a good qb, probably will never be, he is a headcase with no work ethic.
  • dj43
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Also, why spend a 1st on someone we might be able to get next offseason for no draft picks?
Yes. Peppers will cost the same next year whether they trade for him with a new contract in place as a prerequisite, or they wait until the off-season and get him for the same money but no draft picks.

If the 49ers were only a pass rusher away from the Super Bowl right now, then it MIGHT make sense. As it stands, it would be a really bad value.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

O,

If a team is smart they request to negotiate a deal with the player before pulling the trigger. He has to agree to an extension, without that don't do it. While we could still franchise him and attempt to deal him should he not resign if you get stuck with him playing under the tag we could see him playing like he is now, just going through the motions but little desire to give a full effort.
Share 49ersWebzone