There are 221 users in the forums

Stanford Cardinal Football Thread

Originally posted by 190836:
Shaw = Harbaugh = conservative boring offense.

That's just not true.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Terrible play-calling by Shaw.

I didnt mind the calls early with the field position but those last 2 play calls were awful. Give Michigan St props though....... they dominated the line of scrimmage today.

MSU played with a lot more heart and fire than Stanford today, and Shaw's play-calling was atrocious on that last drive.

Agree 100%. Michigan St. deserved this win today. They played so much better on both sides of the ball with more heart and passion. And yes.... the last drive play calling was really bad. How in the hell do you give the ball to the FB on the most important play of the game. If you give it to Gafney behind his lead blocker and he gets stuffed I could understand it more than a FB dive play.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
That's game. Shaw went full Roman mode LOL!

This^^^ I felt like I was watching us against the AZ Cardinals!!

I didnt mind the calls early with the field position but those last 2 play calls were awful. Give Michigan St props though....... they dominated the line of scrimmage today.

MSU played with a lot more heart and fire than Stanford today, and Shaw's play-calling was atrocious on that last drive.

Agree 100%. Michigan St. deserved this win today. They played so much better on both sides of the ball with more heart and passion. And yes.... the last drive play calling was really bad. How in the hell do you give the ball to the FB on the most important play of the game. If you give it to Gafney behind his lead blocker and he gets stuffed I could understand it more than a FB dive play.

Kindaaaa like Anthony Dixon on 4th and 1.......

Just terrible play calling in the second half IMO. I am curious to see what Shaw says about this afterward.
  • Veteran
Stanford is way to conservative. You can't win games playing like this.

They have been winning games with this approach for years . Field position has played a big part in the play calls but the call on 4th and 3 was awful.

Are they winning the game right now? Their ultra conservative BS play calling is killing them right now.

Did I say they were? I'm just saying that their conservative approach has gotten them into 4 straight BCS games. They are not a pass crazy team.
Its not working today. Its obvious, isn't it?

You said you cant win games playing conservative football. I simply pointed out that Stanford has played this way for years and have been one of the top winning programs in the country. Field position has played a big part of the play calling in this game. Pretty obvious isnt it?
Ninerjohn, I understand your point. No dispute on what Shaw's offensive philosophy is. But if you are not moving the ball and doing the same thing over and over again, don't you think maybe you should change or adjust a bit? How many three and outs did Stanford had today? Why would you run up the middle on 4th and 1, when you have been able to run all the day.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
That's game. Shaw went full Roman mode LOL!

This^^^ I felt like I was watching us against the AZ Cardinals!!

Indeed that was like deja vu all over again.

Or take advantage of the MSU defense selling out to defend the run up the middle and do a bootleg. That was there for them on all short-yardage plays but Shaw was just too stubborn.
I really hope Harbaugh watched this game! Running the ball until you lose the game. Please, learn the lesson that if it isn't working, do something else.
Stanford is way to conservative. You can't win games playing like this.

They have been winning games with this approach for years . Field position has played a big part in the play calls but the call on 4th and 3 was awful.

Are they winning the game right now? Their ultra conservative BS play calling is killing them right now.

Did I say they were? I'm just saying that their conservative approach has gotten them into 4 straight BCS games. They are not a pass crazy team.
Its not working today. Its obvious, isn't it?

You said you cant win games playing conservative football. I simply pointed out that Stanford has played this way for years and have been one of the top winning programs in the country. Field position has played a big part of the play calling in this game. Pretty obvious isnt it?
Ninerjohn, I understand your point. No dispute on what Shaw's offensive philosophy is. But if you are not moving the ball and doing the same thing over and over again, don't you think maybe you should change or adjust a bit? How many three and outs did Stanford had today? Why would you run up the middle on 4th and 1, when you have been able to run all the day.

Like I said, I think field position has a lot to do with the play calling for much of the game. Stanford was simply pinned back deep in their zone. However, the play calling in the 4th was really bad. They had a chance to make something happen and Shaw just fell too much in love with his big OL especially on the last 2 plays.
Or take advantage of the MSU defense selling out to defend the run up the middle and do a bootleg. That was there for them on all short-yardage plays but Shaw was just too stubborn
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/174414-pac-champion-stanford-cardinal-football-thread/page13/#HsLFAiM8QOwQYIRD.99

I agree completely

IIRC Michigan St. made Kevin Hogan instead of Gaffney attempt to beat them and he couldn't do it
David Roman.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
shaw went into ROMAN mode...terrible call on 4th an 1

I was screaming for a bootleg...Or P.A PASS
[ Edited by dmax on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by dmax:

He went full Roman long before the 4th & 1, but your point is well taken.
Originally posted by dmax:

He didn't trust Hogan to make a play, hence the vanilla play-calls
Share 49ersWebzone