There are 209 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

To me its 2011, and its not even close. Expectations were low, and we basically got to see the same players who were on our horrible teams suddenly blossom. Plus, nothing in the playoffs this year came close to matching the emotional high of us winning the Saints game last year. It would have taken a Super Bowl win to do that.
2011... more loyalty.
Agreed, we had a new coaching staff with a new style of O and D. Had been bad and didn't know how to win anymore. Had no ability for our players and coachs to get to know each other in the offseason. Had to rely on Alex to teach the O to the rest of the guys.

I thought we would start off really slow but then click at the end of that year and then be ready this year for a playoff run. That year brought a whole new reality to the organization and the fanbase.

Loved this year and getting to the Superbowl but hated losing it cause we should have won it based on where we last year and what we had done in the draft and FA!

Maybe next year will be all our fav's!!
2012. We finally found a franchise QB. Also 2012 gives hope for the future, 2011 was great but seemed like an aberraiton. #1 Defense, #1 ST, #31 Offense. No waty did I think we'd do as well in 2012 as I didn't think we'd be fortunate enough to have such a dominating defense and #1 starting position in returns along with a kicker having yet another career year.
I was ready to give up watching them because we decided to keep number 11. These coaches really got these guys going and when we started to win games on the road I was back and fully on board with what the team was doing. The win against the Eagles was amazing and beating the undefeated Lions was awesome. 2011 brought back hope becuase it showed that it wasn't the players all along... it was the coaching! With that said as long as we have these guys calling the shots... this team will be competitive for a long time! 2011 hands down.
I think 2011 was more exciting because the expectations were so low. 2012 however seems more meaningful to me because we found our franchise QB and we finally have a legitimate 21st century offense.
2012 gives you a Franchise QB and a Super Bowl albeit a loss. So I don't see how this is close.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2012 gives you a Franchise QB and a Super Bowl albeit a loss. So I don't see how this is close.

Agreed. SF has an answer at the most difficult position to find in the NFL. And it's a kid who has shown flashes of greatness already.
[ Edited by BringBackTO on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]

We got him in 2011... now if we drafted him in 2012 I would agreed.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
2011... more loyalty.

lol, hard to let it go huh

We can argue all day whether or not Alex was THE quarterback for this team, but Im glad that experiment is laid to rest. As great as he was these past 2 years, every time he fumbled, made a bad read, threw an INT, or failed to lead a comeback just brought back all those old memories and we were quick to point out that it was "the same old Alex". He was a decent QB, a very classy guy, a very committed guy, but in all truth his time ended in San Fran when the "we want Carr" chants were echoed at Candlestick 3 years ago.

I hope he has success wherever he goes, although I'll be honest i dont think he's going to get close to winning a SB, and I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up like Jon Kitna or Kyle Orton as a backup just traversing through the league.

Thanks for all the good memories Alex (and the bad ones too). You'll be missed by some, until we win the big one and then your legacy will be no more than a tiny blip in 49er lore.
Originally posted by Sugar_Rush:

We got him in 2011... now if we drafted him in 2012 I would agreed.

He didn't show that in 2011. He showed that in 2012.
2011 we got some great players in the draft (Aldon and Kaep), so if not for having these new coaches and that draft... 2012 wouldn't be what it was.
[ Edited by Sugar_Rush on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Any season that ends with a SB appearance (even in a loss) is more meaningful IMO.
2011: the return to greatness + the catch III

2012: First ever super bowl loss.

Hmm, yeah, real tough. 2011.