LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

It's hard for me to pick because 2011 was really a dramatic turnaround. But, in the long run, I'd have to say 2012 because it is the beginning of the Kaepernick era which I think is going to be a very memorable era.
Originally posted by NinersEverywhere:
2011 offseason

lockout -> a group of players showing union and preparing themselves conscientiously for the challenge.

2011 season

magical season -> indescribable happiness -> the turnaround after years of frustration -> the proof that this group of players who suffered the dark years can play at a high level with a good coaching staff.

2012 offseason

Coach of the year award -> golf -> Manning -> backstabbing

2012 season

promising season -> new weapons, better offense, strong defense as usual -> concussion -> a coach's whim not based on sporting reasons -> backstabbing , experimental season -> still winning -> 1st and goal, 7 yard line, all the ingredients on the table for "The Catch IV" -> No Super Bowl

until we win a Super Bowl... the 2011 season will be the most meaningful.

So if you replace a player with a better player it's "backstabbing"?
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Picking 2012, and giving the reason of "finding our franchise QB," is a slight to Alex. Stop trying to hide it.

No one with any sense would say that a season ending in a Super Bowl loss is more "meaningful." Ridiculous.

It's a slight to Shaun Hill, JT O'Sullivan, and every other quarterback we've had since Garcia, because Kap is better than all of them, including Alex.
Finding a franchise quarterback who everybody knows is special, especially non-49er fans who don't have a bias, is extremely important, and getting to the Super Bowl is far better than losing the NFC championship.

Meaningful. The word is meaningful.

"Meaningful" is a subjective word, but still, I can't see how losing the NFC championship is more "meaningful", "significant", "substantial" or "consequential" than losing a Super Bowl.

I've decided to ignore this bitter, unrelenting, whining lament that they continue to spew and move on. They can root for the Niners any way they want. I'll root for them the way I want to - by getting excited about the dawn of the Kaepernick era.
Originally posted by NinersEverywhere:
2011 offseason

lockout -> a group of players showing union and preparing themselves conscientiously for the challenge.

2011 season

magical season -> indescribable happiness -> the turnaround after years of frustration -> the proof that this group of players who suffered the dark years can play at a high level with a good coaching staff.

2012 offseason

Coach of the year award -> golf -> Manning -> backstabbing

2012 season

promising season -> new weapons, better offense, strong defense as usual -> concussion -> a coach's whim not based on sporting reasons -> backstabbing , experimental season -> still winning -> 1st and goal, 7 yard line, all the ingredients on the table for "The Catch IV" -> No Super Bowl

until we win a Super Bowl... the 2011 season will be the most meaningful.

better player for the next season (2013 season), and for the next several years.

I can agree with that.
How about this for "meaningful"?

After our first winning season last year, pundits and fans were still questioning if we were even a good team.
"They might have gotten lucky." "They won a lot of close games that could have gone the other way." "They have a rah rah coach who injected energy into the players for that first season, but it might wear thin next year."

Pundits were picking everybody in the division to win the NFC west. The Rams the Cards and the Seahawks all seemed to think they could catch us after we "fell back to earth".
Pundits pointed out our lack of injuries and turnover ratio, stating that these were statistical anomalies that could not be depended on the next season.
There is a saying, "If you can't do it twice, you can't do it at all."

This season we proved that we are actually for REAL. We didn't NEED the turnover ratio to win games. We didn't NEED outstanding special teams to pull out victories (in fact, we had none of that).
This year we PROVED that we are back and ready to rumble with a young team full of a league leading list of pro-bowlers who are signed for years. Not only this, but we emerged with one of the most incredible quarterback talents to ever be seen on a football field. He led us to a Super Bowl, but our team lacked the experience, and came up short.

That to me seems a lot more meaningful than having a single "hot" year which everybody thinks is a fluke.
@BrianGo:

Great points. I forgot about all of that. And now I'm remembering the statistical organization that predicted the Niners would go 7-9 and not make the playoffs. Who were they again? And, you're right. Their reasoning was that turnover ratio would never be what it was in 2011 and they were right - it wasn't. They also predicted that there would be more injuries - they were right, there were more injuries. And, yes, special teams was nowhere near what it was in 2011. But the Niners went all the way to the Super Bowl in spite of all that.
I think every fan expects to enjoy the Kaepernick's era.

It's a good thing when you dont have "personal problems" with a particular player
How about this for "meaningful"?

After our first winning season last year, pundits and fans were still questioning if we were even a good team.
"They might have gotten lucky." "They won a lot of close games that could have gone the other way." "They have a rah rah coach who injected energy into the players for that first season, but it might wear thin next year."

Pundits were picking everybody in the division to win the NFC west. The Rams the Cards and the Seahawks all seemed to think they could catch us after we "fell back to earth".
Pundits pointed out our lack of injuries and turnover ratio, stating that these were statistical anomalies that could not be depended on the next season.
There is a saying, "If you can't do it twice, you can't do it at all."

This season we proved that we are actually for REAL. We didn't NEED the turnover ratio to win games. We didn't NEED outstanding special teams to pull out victories (in fact, we had none of that).
This year we PROVED that we are back and ready to rumble with a young team full of a league leading list of pro-bowlers who are signed for years. Not only this, but we emerged with one of the most incredible quarterback talents to ever be seen on a football field. He led us to a Super Bowl, but our team lacked the experience, and came up short.

That to me seems a lot more meaningful than having a single "hot" year which everybody thinks is a fluke.

Excellent post sir.

Coming out of a lockout with NO offseason (except Camp Alex) the expectation of this was to win 6 games or less. Fans wanted to "Suck for Luck". Instead we got the Revival of a lost dynasty led by one of the most unexpected and disliked players in 49ers history. Redemption for at least that year found a home and it was a great story.

9ers also played consistent winning football. The team had rode and 8 game winning streak at one point. And it boasted probably the BEST defense in the NFL.

Oh and the playoff game against the Bounty Hunters was pretty good too...

1 fumble away from a Super Bowl Ring.
Originally posted by Sugar_Rush:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2012 gives you a Franchise QB and a Super Bowl albeit a loss. So I don't see how this is close.

We got him in 2011... now if we drafted him in 2012 I would agreed.

2011 was the most meaningful; the drought was clearly over unexpectedly … It was and continues to be a fairy tale ..
2011 Kaep was drafted … I did not know him.
Offense started coming together..
Defense was da' sh#$t!!
Coach Harbaugh Killed!!

2011 was heaven …
2012 Alex smith leaving
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Lol @ all the Alex haters picking 2012. Come on guys. We came out of nowhere in 2011. Comeback story of the year. For Alex, the Niners, the Yorks, our entire franchise. 6 comeback wins. The Catch III.

2012 - A Super Bowl loss. Our first SB loss. And that is more "meaningful" to you?

Please make it stop. Every single chance you guys get to bash Alex, or anyone who ever supported him, you take it. You guys make it impossible to just enjoy this team, because all you want to do is say "I told you so."

Picking 2012 makes someone an Alex Hater?
You really need to get over it.

Picking 2012, and giving the reason of "finding our franchise QB," is a slight to Alex. Stop trying to hide it.

No one with any sense would say that a season ending in a Super Bowl loss is more "meaningful." Ridiculous.

But the team did find its franchise QB. That isn't a sleight to anyone and it certainly isn't hating on Alex Smith. Alex Smith was a good QB for the 49ers but he wasn't the franchise QB that people think Kaep could be.
Losing in the NFCC is more meaningful than winning the NFCC? That doesn't make sense to me.
just hope vince young 2.0 doesnt regress
Share 49ersWebzone