There are 237 users in the forums

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which season was more meaningful to you? 2011 or 2012?

Originally posted by WhyBenchAlex:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
2011... more loyalty.
This!

These two posts
2011... more loyalty.

2011 because it wasn't expected. It was Superbowl or bust this year regardless of who was at QB. Last year I had no idea how it would work out.
2011 or 2012? That's a hard one.

2011- It was special to me cuz most niner fans got who they wanted as the 49ers HC. Jim Harbaugh resurrected a competitive winning attitude within the players and lead the niners back to the NFC title game with 2 muffed punts away from a Super Bowl appearance.

2012- It was meaningful cuz the team did what we expected them to do record wise. We finally were back in the Super Bowl after a long 18 year absence only to lose in heartbreaking fashion.

For right now its hard for me to separate the seasons. I look at both seasons as a journey in progress. Last year we were short of the SB, this season we were in it but lost, so I think next year we will win it.
2011... more loyalty.

Sigh.

2012. More TALENT.

That loyalty argument is dumb. Sorry.

If one guy gives them a better chance to win, isn't it DISloyal to the rest of the team to keep the other guy in there? Why is loyalty to Alex more important than loyalty to the rest of the team?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
2011... more loyalty.

Sigh.

2012. More TALENT.

If one guy gives them a better chance to win, isn't it DISloyal to the rest of the team to keep the other guy in there? Why is loyalty to Alex more important than loyalty to the rest of the team?

Whatever you say, Marv.
I chose 2012 because the NFL always has their surprise teams. See the 2007 Cleveland Browns for example. What becomes difficult is maintaining that standard of winning consistently because the following season, you are no longer a surprise team, you are drafting lower, and you become a target. The NFL also schedules the more difficult teams in your conference against you. So the fact that we were able to come back this season, with only one more loss and go further in the playoffs kind of solidified us as a top tier team.

We're probably going to open 2013 as either the favorite in the NFC or at worse a top 5 team because of what we accomplished this season. You had some writers foolishly thinking we would be 8-8 or 9-7 this season. You won't hear such nonsense this August.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by WhyBenchAlex:
2011... more loyalty.
This!

These two posts

Not as funny as you comparing Kaep to a Jedi and Jerry Rice.
Different expectations by a WIDE margin. Since we lost the Super Bowl, I cannot think of a post glory days game that meant more than that Saints game. Man, that was emotional. 2011 was a unique season because it caught us all off guard. So even though it seems counter intuitive because we didn't get to the big game I gotta go with 2011.
2011 was a pleasant surprise but no super bowl and the way we lost was sad.

2012 was a major letdown but we went to the super bowl but the way we lost was also said.

Its a tough one. This is like asking what is worse, a hernia or a gal bladder infection.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Sugar_Rush:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2012 gives you a Franchise QB and a Super Bowl albeit a loss. So I don't see how this is close.

We got him in 2011... now if we drafted him in 2012 I would agreed.

He didn't show that in 2011. He showed that in 2012.

He didn't get a chance in 2011. Harbaugh knew he found his franchise QB BEFORE the 2011 season even started.
I liked the 2010 season. At least then we knew we sucked and knew we weren't going to go to the superbowl everything was cut and dry. Yeah it sucked to watch every game (I have watched every second since 99') but these seasons hurt so much. That entire 8 year stretch hurt less than our last two post season losses. I hate the teasing of the big one we are getting and I envy those guys who were 9er fans alive in the 80's. That s**t must have been magnificent and I am completely jealous of you guys. Would give my left nut to finally see the 49ers win a superbowl.
Sorry, 2012 wins on LOYALTY also.

Loyalty to the season ticket holders in putting what the coach believed to be the best product on the field.

Loyalty to all fans really.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sigh.

2012. More TALENT.

JH developing Smith was one of the best jobs in coaching history.

Then putting him on the bench and developing KAep was one of the best in coaching history.

I think JH will be one of the best coaches in history when its all said and. We have to remember, this is his first time as a head coach in the NFL and he is only going to get better and hungrier. That is scary.

In reality, if you take the emotion out of it, both years were phenomenal. JH did in two years what the Lions haven't done in like 60 years. Think about that for a second.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM ]

I really enjoyed this year. I was a tad worried that we were maybe a one hit wonder. It was a small worry to be sure, but it was there so it was very relieving personally to see the team continue to succeed. Shuts up those who made that claim last year at about this time.

I also really enjoyed the switch to Kaepernick. Like and respect Alex, but never really thought he was "The Guy" that was going to take us places. Colin on the other hand has a bright shiny gleaming future ahead of him barring major injury and this season was a lot of fun to watch in that regard. Most games I saw at least 1 play from Colin that amazed me and that was fun to look forward to.

The Niners beat a lot of really good football teams this year. Unlike last year we didn't sneak up on anyone. We got most teams best shot and responded well.

I really can't wait for the 2013 season to begin.

It's a great time to be a Niner for sure!
Share 49ersWebzone