LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

We need to extend Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fip24
  • Veteran
The Niners seemt o have spaced this out very well. It may be an odd way to look at it but Culliver may the most important extension (not sure when we can extend him). If the Niners belive Cully is a future starter, he could probably be had now for an annual value of 2.5 m. This would allow the team to cut Carlos after next season.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
He wont want to go else where. He knows hes got something special going on with Kapp.

Agree

Right, I'm sure Crabtree is so much about the team that he will fire Eugene Parker and take less money to sign with the Niners.
Originally posted by Psinex:
He wont want to go else where. He knows hes got something special going on with Kapp.

Agree

Right, I'm sure Crabtree is so much about the team that he will fire Eugene Parker and take less money to sign with the Niners.

hes all about the niners!! he said it himself " I only root for one team" Those who saw him talk after the gm know what i mean lol
Originally posted by thuglife619:

Agree

hes all about the niners!! he said it himself " I only root for one team" Those who saw him talk after the gm know what i mean lol

Before Kap started blowing Crabtree up, I woulda told you I thought he would want to leave when his deal was up. A big finish to this season and maybe a great start to next year and I think the Niners would have no problem locking him up to a long term deal.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
For those who want to know, the following about our cap.

2014- We have projected $27.8M in cap room with a $122M cap, but can create $8.75M by cutting or trading Alex this offseason, plus Rogers is due over $8M, and most would be saved with a cut or restructure if he goes downhill. Plus we can save $2.5M if Brooks doesn't meet the 12 sacks and the voids in his contract for de-escalators.

2015- We have projected $61.149M in cap room with a $125M cap, again with Brooks a $2.5M decrease for sacks.

2016- We have projected $92M in cap room with $130M cap, and again Brooks' decrease.

2015 and 2016 would be ideal for loading up on 3 contracts for the players I mentioned, most likely J.Smith, Iupati, and Goldson, then 2017 and beyond would be for guys like Kaep, Hunter, Cully, and Miller.

We wouldn't need to front load Whitner too much, and Aldon is one that I dont know when we would extend him, either after 2013 or after 2014.

Our cap situation is FINE, a lot can be saved in 2013, and we could even front load Goldson and another like Crabtree in 2013 like we did with Staley in 2009 with that massive 11M roster bonus paid at that time and counted against the cap in 09.

Isn't it a matter of competition with other teams? If our cap situation looks like that, what is the cap situation of other teams? We are competing with them for our players services right? For example, if we have 60 million of room, it sounds like a lot, but if every other team has 100 million of room, they will be able to pay more than us.

At some point, it comes down to logic. Almost half our starting team are Pro-Bowlers, and likely more will be next year. Are you saying we can just happily pay them all with no problems? That would be unprecedented in the salary cap era.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Agree

Before Kap started blowing Crabtree up, I woulda told you I thought he would want to leave when his deal was up. A big finish to this season and maybe a great start to next year and I think the Niners would have no problem locking him up to a long term deal.

With Kap, Crabtree is on pace for a 1400 yard season with 10+ touchdowns over a full season. I think he might be willing to give a slight discount because of that. Maybe not on Bowman's level, but something reasonable.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Agree

With Kap, Crabtree is on pace for a 1400 yard season with 10+ touchdowns over a full season. I think he might be willing to give a slight discount because of that. Maybe not on Bowman's level, but something reasonable.

God help us if he makes the Pro Bowl next year. It will be just like Vincent Jackson all over again.
God help us if he makes the Pro Bowl next year. It will be just like Vincent Jackson all over again.

That's the point. That's why you sign players BEFORE they make the Pro-Bowl (see Joe Staley), and not after. Hence, the priority demands that we sign him this off-season.

2014- We have projected $27.8M in cap room with a $122M cap, but can create $8.75M by cutting or trading Alex this offseason, plus Rogers is due over $8M, and most would be saved with a cut or restructure if he goes downhill. Plus we can save $2.5M if Brooks doesn't meet the 12 sacks and the voids in his contract for de-escalators.

2015- We have projected $61.149M in cap room with a $125M cap, again with Brooks a $2.5M decrease for sacks.

2016- We have projected $92M in cap room with $130M cap, and again Brooks' decrease.

2015 and 2016 would be ideal for loading up on 3 contracts for the players I mentioned, most likely J.Smith, Iupati, and Goldson, then 2017 and beyond would be for guys like Kaep, Hunter, Cully, and Miller.

We wouldn't need to front load Whitner too much, and Aldon is one that I dont know when we would extend him, either after 2013 or after 2014.

Our cap situation is FINE, a lot can be saved in 2013, and we could even front load Goldson and another like Crabtree in 2013 like we did with Staley in 2009 with that massive 11M roster bonus paid at that time and counted against the cap in 09.

Isn't it a matter of competition with other teams? If our cap situation looks like that, what is the cap situation of other teams? We are competing with them for our players services right? For example, if we have 60 million of room, it sounds like a lot, but if every other team has 100 million of room, they will be able to pay more than us.

At some point, it comes down to logic. Almost half our starting team are Pro-Bowlers, and likely more will be next year. Are you saying we can just happily pay them all with no problems? That would be unprecedented in the salary cap era.

Not saying we can retain all of them, but most, plus we will likely let Sopoaga, Walker and others walk this offseason, which frees up room for the future that wont be used on them. We probably will lose a few players, but we structure like the best in the NFL.

Not saying we can retain all of them, but most, plus we will likely let Sopoaga, Walker and others walk this offseason, which frees up room for the future that wont be used on them. We probably will lose a few players, but we structure like the best in the NFL.

So we will lose some players, but which ones? For example...

Tier "1" young players who must be signed in the future; in order of overall relative importance (IMO):
Kap, Aldon, Crab, Iupati, A Davis.

Tier "2" young and prime age veteran players who we want on the team; in order (IMO):
Goldson, Boone, Whitner, Culliver, RJF, Hunter, Brown, Miller.

Tier "3" veterans who are older but we still want on the team.
J Smith, Gore, Davis, Soap, Rodgers

Tier "4" players who play roles, but are tough to justify with the money they make or will want.
A Smith, Akers, Goodwin, Haralson, Walker, Ginn.

The rest are either unproven, journeymen, have injuries, or are already locked up for a while (some of the tier "3" might fit that profile, but I wasn't sure).

Tier "1" is where we need to sign all the players IMO. They are each critical to the core of the future of this team, they are all young and coming into their own.
Tier "2" contains players that we certainly want, but we have to get them for the right price. Some of them are going to want a big pay raise. We can't overspend here because it will cost us long term. Will be tough to keep everybody from tier 2, although we will try.
Tier "3" contains a lot of core players, but they are creeping up in age. This is where some very difficult decisions will have to be made. Some of these veterans will restructure. Some of them we might have to make some surprising moves in the coming years.
Tier "4" will save us a lot of cap money if we let them go. It's not that they aren't valuable, but with all the other tiers, we can't sign everybody.

I understand that we will lose some players (mostly from tier 4), but many of the players in tier 1 and 2 are going to want a considerable pay raise. The question is whether we can sign these players while keeping our core veterans.

Edit: I moved Soap into Tier "3", he is a role player, but I don't know who we can replace him with right now. He is critical for our run defense and is in the game on almost every drive.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM ]

So we will lose some players, but which ones? For example...

Tier "1" young players who must be signed in the future; in order of overall relative importance (IMO):
Kap, Aldon, Crab, Iupati, A Davis.

Tier "2" young and prime age veteran players who we want on the team; in order (IMO):
Goldson, Boone, Whitner, Culliver, RJF, Hunter, Brown, Miller.

Tier "3" veterans who are older but we still want on the team.
J Smith, Staley, Gore, Davis, Soap, Rodgers

Tier "4" players who play roles, but are tough to justify with the money they make or will want.
A Smith, Akers, Goodwin, Haralson, Walker, Ginn.

The rest are either unproven, journeymen, have injuries, or are already locked up for a while (some of the tier "3" might fit that profile, but I wasn't sure).

Tier "1" is where we need to sign all the players IMO. They are each critical to the core of the future of this team, they are all young and coming into their own.
Tier "2" contains players that we certainly want, but we have to get them for the right price. Some of them are going to want a big pay raise. We can't overspend here because it will cost us long term. Will be tough to keep everybody from tier 2, although we will try.
Tier "3" contains a lot of core players, but they are creeping up in age. This is where some very difficult decisions will have to be made. Some of these veterans will restructure. Some of them we might have to make some surprising moves in the coming years.
Tier "4" will save us a lot of cap money if we let them go. It's not that they aren't valuable, but with all the other tiers, we can't sign everybody.

I understand that we will lose some players (mostly from tier 4), but many of the players in tier 1 and 2 are going to want a considerable pay raise. The question is whether we can sign these players while keeping our core veterans.

Edit: I moved Soap into Tier "3", he is a role player, but I don't know who we can replace him with right now. He is critical for our run defense and is in the game on almost every drive.

Throw Culliver in tier 1. People don't realize hes our future at CB. Also, why is Joe Staley on that list? Hes locked up for years already.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Throw Culliver in tier 1. People don't realize hes our future at CB. Also, why is Joe Staley on that list? Hes locked up for years already.

I don't think the core functioning of our team is altered if we lose Culliver. Tier 1 is for players who are critical to the core functioning of our football team. For example, I don't know if we can simply find another A Davis or Iupati very easily, even in the first round of the draft. They are both massive and athletic lineman who move people around. They are necessary for our identity as a physical team.
Also, a position like cornerback has to be gotten for the right price. Just look at the Eagles. That team placed too much importance on the position.
Everyone in tier 2 is a good player, I just don't think they are AS critical to the team as the tier 1 players.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Ive been saying this ish since he showed up on the field in his rookie year.

Im Nostradamus I tell you!

But you are not Negrodamus

Money is more important than chemistry with a QB. He will go where the most money is and I don't blame him. Do some of you think he would take less money to stay here? We all like him a lot, but remember who this dude is... He held out for money before he even played a down.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Pay him in white girls!!!

Probably not a good idea at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone