LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

What's your gut feeling on the outcome of Saturday's game against the Pack?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's your gut feeling on the outcome of Saturday's game against the Pack?

Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I feel that the best case scenario for this season is a Superbowl Loss. I dont know why, but I dont know if this team can actually win the superbowl. They just dont feel right to me...

I hate to agree but its worth noting that ive been thinking this all week. I think the road to the big game is in our grasp, but it will be tough to be on top at the end. We can do it though.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I hate to agree but its worth noting that ive been thinking this all week. I think the road to the big game is in our grasp, but it will be tough to be on top at the end. We can do it though.

What a shame!! But I must agree with you too.
I feel that the best case scenario for this season is a Superbowl Loss. I dont know why, but I dont know if this team can actually win the superbowl. They just dont feel right to me...

That is absolutely the way almost every fan I knew felt during the '81 playoffs and into the first Superbowl. I was at a party with about 20 long-time fans and almost nobody thought the Niners were going to win. Everyone was surprised that the Niners were up at half time. And, when the Bengals had first and goal on the 2, everyone in the room was absolutely positive they were going to score a td and come back to win. They had a huge O-line and a 265 lb full back - it was a foregone conclusion even on fourth down and goal. The Niners stunned the room. This team seems stronger to me than that team did at the time. We'll see.
After the 2nd overtime, a transformer blows out again and the lights go out. After suspending play for an hour, the NFL declares the game the first tie in post season football. The game is decided on Sunday, SF 38-35 in the 3rd OT, but for about 12 hours, we have the first ever post season tie in the NFL. Pundits go insane, bookies arent sure what the hell to do, the zone explodes as people clamour for Jed's demise as he didnt get the new stadium built fast enough, and due to high blood pressure, Harbs' head goes off and begins to orbit the earth for the next 6 months.

Thats what my gut says anyways.......I need to avoid spicy food too early in the day.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I'm nervous man - 50/50. We MUST run the ball. We MUST pressure Aaron Rodgers. That's it. Bottom line! Our run sets up everything for us, keeps #12 off the field, and rests our hurt/fatigued defense.

The key to making this happen is that Greg Roman doesn't start feeling himself and get too cute at the wrong time (Rams). Or get a lead and go into the fetal position (Pats). We must find consistent balance. It seems as though Roman cannot perform this task.
Heavy dose of the running game.
Capitalize on every red zone trip with touchdowns.
Knock Rodgers into the Bay.
When the defense gets their hands on the ball, catch it.
Do not switch to a prevent defense like the NE game.
No penalties
No turnovers
No missed FGs
Gore gets 20 touches
Keap runs
Davis returns
And Moss earns his pay

And we can beat anybody. But
Originally posted by GNielsen:

That is absolutely the way almost every fan I knew felt during the '81 playoffs and into the first Superbowl. I was at a party with about 20 long-time fans and almost nobody thought the Niners were going to win. Everyone was surprised that the Niners were up at half time. And, when the Bengals had first and goal on the 2, everyone in the room was absolutely positive they were going to score a td and come back to win. They had a huge O-line and a 265 lb full back - it was a foregone conclusion even on fourth down and goal. The Niners stunned the room. This team seems stronger to me than that team did at the time. We'll see.

I have absolute 100% confidence in Harbaugh leading us to a Superbowl victory. But-and a big BUT at that-it all has to come together at the same time. I think we have the players to seize the moment to become champions
I have absolute 100% confidence in Harbaugh leading us to a Superbowl victory. But-and a big BUT at that-it all has to come together at the same time. I think we have the players to seize the moment to become champions

Historically, a lot of it depends on the franchise quarterback. If a team has an elite quarterback, the window of opportunity can be 8 to 10 years because certain key players can be replaced effectively. The Niners had a completely different set of runners and receivers in the late '80's than they had when they won their first and second Superbowls. Tom Brady has had a lot of different receivers and runners. If Kaepernick turns out to be the real deal, the Niners could be in the conversation for a lot of years to come just like they were in the 80's. And, if he really is the real deal, he may show it to everyone this year and get a ring for guys like Frank Gore and Justin Smith. That would, of course, be the ideal scenario.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i will say this, i was more worried about the saints last year at home than the pack this year at home

I'm the opposite. I really believed we were going to be the saints. This year we have way too many questions going into the playoffs so I'm feeling 50/50 right now.

Nah I was more worried about the Saints. They had a slightly better D than this year's Pack, more weapons on offense, better o-Line, and better running game.

Despite how we're playing as of late, I'm not quite as worried this time around. Plus we've been there before, which I think is important.
I'm worried only because idk what 49ers team we will see this game, is it the team that played them in week 1? the team that played the Saints? the Pats? or is it the team that we saw against Seattle? or the Giants? Or Rams?

Doubt we come out flat in this game. I don't know wtf happened in Seattle but that game is the sole reason we're even having this discussion. And imo we can attribute that loss on sheer fatigue.

We should be better rested and much more focused for this game.

• titan
  • Veteran
WR/TE need to be on their game.....Vermon Davis to be specific. With the pressure GB is bringing the ball will be leaving Kaeps. hand before they get their heads around so they better bet ready! This stone hands deal is not going to cut it. CB better be on also they are throwing over our LB and into the secondary. Get ready for the beggars to start begging for flags.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
GB 31
SF 28

We miss 3 FGs

Thats my gut feeling.

Even with Cundiff kicking which I think he will?

I think we carry two kickers. If Akers misses the first one, it's Cundiff time.
do you realize just how insane that sounded , we are supposed to be playing at a high level at this time of the year and here we are playing musical kickers in the most important game of the year so far. jesus f**king christ
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You guys are killing me. Would you guys rather go into battle with Harbaugh at home with two weeks to prepare or one week, on the road with a team that cant run the ball? Relax guys, we are going to win this game. Harbaugh is one of the top two coaches in the league and McCarthy isnt the other one.

if Jh was one of the top two coaches in the nfl he would not have been out coached so many times this year. his stock has dropped this year in my opinion. terrible play calls at times, deciding not to address the real issues on his team like defensive line depth, the kicker , penalties, special ed teams and piss poor pass protection.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

we do not go to super bowls to lose
Originally posted by cciowa:
we do not go to super bowls to lose

It's actually not very common. I might be wrong, but I think the Niners are the only team to go to more than 2 Super bowls and still have a perfect record.
Share 49ersWebzone